autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I want new rims for Christmas

Well it is a bit early but looking for car accessories are so much fun!

I got a quesiton for whoever cares to read this.

If i get 17 inch rims (going up from 15), do I have to get bigger brakes too? It is one things about getting new rims and tires, another to get rotor, pads, and caliper and pay for all the labour.

Also can VW and Hyundai vehicles use the same rims? Provided it is the same specs?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get bigger rims you don't have to get bigger brakes. They just allow you to fit bigger brakes underneath them since they give you more clearance.

I would get new rims and also tweak the suspension at the same time, so you don't look silly driving around with huge rims and tons of space under your car.

Cars can use the same rims as long as the bolt pattern is the same and the backspacing works out.
    Paul
    2000 Corvette
    1965 Chevelle

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had custom rims on every ride since the 80's. Let me give you a couple sound words of advice. Consider custom forged wheels if you can afford them, the are custom made and balance and ride very similar to original wheels and in most cases are lighter reducing sprung wait. HRE, Iforged, Fikse are some reputable brands.

Dont buy those cheapie no-name wheels at Pepboys. Stick with big manufacturer wheels when purchasing cast wheels. MOMO makes a great wheel as does Einkei, Weld and some others.

If you are not doing any real performance upgrades, then bigger brakes are not needed. You could add some crossdrilled or slotted rotors for looks but not needed. If rims have big openings, I highly suggest Powercoated calipers. Only real world upgrade to brakes that I have personally found needed is stainless steel brake lines. It truly makes a difference as pedal is always firm and does not fade as quickly over multiple high brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    You got some sound advise from Killr there, I was going to chime in on this thread and tell you to stay away from cheap wheels. When I see the ghetto boys driving on 24s, you can always tell they're cheap as the wheels don't even look straight.

Don't forget about my favorite wheels, BBS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a lot of adds on's for my truck that change the appearence of my truck. The item that changed the look the most was my wheels. I do like the look but if I were to do it over I would not do it again. It has changed the ride of my truck and has effected the transmission consequently my mileage has changed as well. Unfortunately the change was not for the better.

It has also added to the maintenance time. My OEM wheels looked the same no matter how I cared for them. My shiny new wheels only look good when they are clean. Now I spend a lot more time (almost daily) wiping them.

The cost is something that I lament over now. It looks nice but is it worth the cost....? Maybe not for me. You may think differently. Now I think that I could have applied the same money to have my paint redone. This is something that I have considered since purchasing expensive wheels. Your thoughts may be different.
    cwcad

Do What You Say....Say What You Do!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life's details

Post Thanks / Like
    CWCAD, would you mind posting up some pics of your truck with the OEM wheels and with your aftermarket wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et View Post
    CWCAD, would you mind posting up some pics of your truck with the OEM wheels and with your aftermarket wheels?
    I do not mind and will as soon as I make the transition from my dead laptop to my new laptop. My wife is busy moving files and I do not have access to them at this time. Will post soon(I hope).
    Last edited by cwcad; 11-04-2007 at 12:12 PM.
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like
    As soon as I say something my wife tells me that it is available so here are two pictures. They are not recent but you will get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I want new rims for Christmas-3-9-06-010-jpg   I want new rims for Christmas-new-tires-018-jpg  
    cwcad

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bolt patterns for various manufacturers/models can be found here: Ronal Wheels | Index of Cars

That isn't a totally comprehensive list, so do some more research (i.e. in addition to bolt pattern and diameter/width, check the offset as well)

As others have said, a big brake kit is not necessary. It may be more aesthetically appealing, but a simple brake pad upgrade can offer significant performance at a fraction of the cost.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You won’t need to get bigger brakes for going up a couple of rim sizes although lowering the car at the same time is a good idea.