autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Parking Lots - bit of a rant

My Daily Driver, 9 years old 145K miles... Never been hit, never even a ding! Ever!
    Interior - Perfect.
    Mechanical - Almost everything except the engine has been replaced. LOL.

I take pride in keeping a car for a long time, well maintained inside and out, with high miles. No car payment is the BEST car payment. And a DD that's older w/ higher miles isn't as much of a concern as a new (insert car name here) car with a $500+ monthly nugget. It's not a Merc C63 AMG, or BMW 5, but it's mine.

It's coated, and I wanted to do a quick mini-detail last night, wash/blow-dry, QD (PBL Coating QD), Blackfire AIO on the tires and wells, clean up tail pipes and wheels. All good, car looks fantastic!

Then I notice, back passenger door, big ole ding and scuff into the clear. Ugg!
    This morning I broke out trusty PC, 4" LC Orange Cut and White Polish and tried 3D HD Adapt 501 and 502 for the first time. Very sweet, spot buffed the scuff/scratches, all scratches gone, hit it with some erasure then PBL DC.
    On Thurs I have an appointment with Dent Wizard.

Just can't believe how folks can plant their car door into yours, cause damage and just walk away... Not a even a note... nothing. Now this is why I don't take the garage queen anywhere. Since it's my DD I'm not overly worried, I know the DW guy does a great job, I've used him before on another vehicle.

Ok, that's my Monday rant!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Parking Lots - bit of a rant

Man that car looks incredible.

Post Thanks / Like

The very reason I park a LONG way away...well that reason and because my fat butt can use the exercise.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel you pain!! People have NO RESPECT for other people's property. I only hope Karma catches up to the person that did it!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BM1024 View Post
    The very reason I park a LONG way away...well that reason and because my fat butt can use the exercise.
    I too try parking in a large empty area of the parking lot. Somehow your car has an assclown parked six inches from your door when you come out. It happened last night. I parked in the last row. It was completely empty and the longest walk to the store. Sure enough when I came out a half hour later, I had to climb in on the passenger side.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Paul, your DD is in such amazing shape for a car with that many miles. Seriously, it looks brand new.

I totally understand your pain - I also don't understand how people can swing their doors, hear it smack against the other car and just not care. Obviously that much force will leave a mark on the other car's paint.. Even worse, chip or ding it...

This is the reason why I park so far away from others. But my wife doesn't understand why I have to park so far no matter how much I explain it to her. This is also why I'm so paranoid in driving my car anywhere lol! Her car has so many dings and paint chips from other car doors hitting hers... Why can't people just be more careful? I've seen a lady open a door once and it hit the car beside it. Didn't even care - just walked away... Sigh.......
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Wow Paul, your DD is in such amazing shape for a car with that many miles. Seriously, it looks brand new.

I totally understand your pain - I also don't understand how people can swing their doors, hear it smack against the other car and just not care. Obviously that much force will leave a mark on the other car's paint.. Even worse, chip or ding it...

This is the reason why I park so far away from others. But my wife doesn't understand why I have to park so far no matter how much I explain it to her. This is also why I'm so paranoid in driving my car anywhere lol! Her car has so many dings and paint chips from other car doors hitting hers... Why can't people just be more careful? I've seen a lady open a door once and it hit the car beside it. Didn't even care - just walked away... Sigh.......
    I can't point a finger... But she drives it more than I do and takes it to work daily.

Yesterday I went to a car-show in Boston and parked in a parking garage. So could have happened anywhere.
    Since she's my co-partner in the detailing business, she gets it and parks way out. She also is all about maintaining and keeping cars a long time.
    Of course I would love to have a 2016 Mustang GT350R, but I tell her as long as we keep this one looking new, I won't spend $75K! LOL!

So, use the old money trick... Honey, if you can't park my car way out, then keep my car and I'll get myself G-Wagon! LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

I had worse happen to me last year. My immaculate 14 year old Audi was in our work parking lot as usual. When I walked up to it at the end of the day I noticed a little bit of broken clear plastic similar to headlight material next to my car. I didn't look very closely since I was in a hurry. But when I got home and got out of the car, I noticed the headlight was sitting slightly askew. I tapped it and found out that it was completely loose. Then I also noticed paint transfer on my bumper and the quarter panel was pushed in about a quarter inch.

Apparently someone at work who had parked next to me pulled out and completely cut the corner of the parking spot, pushing up against my car and actually ripped out my headlight assembly. They stopped, tucked the headlight back in so it looked normal and then took off.

I was able to buff out the paint transfer with no significant damage. But I ended up having to replace the headlight (actually, both so they would match) at a cost of $600. The quarter panel is still pushed in and the bumper is slightly low. I've never got a quote to get it fixed but I'm guessing $500-800. If I had noticed it in time and got a police report and went through my insurance I'm sure it would be considered over $2k in damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car man. PDR guy should fix it right up though.

Ding and parkinglot wise, I hate people when it comes to both. I got a door ding on my S4 the week I got it! I say for 45 minutes skipping through security footage at work to see who did it. When confronted they acted like I was being Uppity with them over the whole matter. I was shocked. Sorry but a car is a car no matter what kind and your behavior of denting it and leaving is not acceptable. I should have gone to their supervisor and had them written up as it was clear they knew they did it. Thankfully $60 later from a good PDR guy, it was gone for good. Fun was deliverying that person the bill to pay. Justice!

Now I just park as far the heck out as I can. Our lot has four big sectoins and I park several rows over from anyone and all the way to the back area. If someone parks next to me it's purposely....but they don't. The only car I've ever seen near mine is the security dude who patrols the lots. My rational is lazy people and inconsiderate people dent cars with thier doors. Those people are not the typcal ones willing to walk as far as I do.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your car looks fantastic.

The lack of respect and selfishness in this country just gets worse and worse. All of the marks on my doors I have fortunately been able to buff out. I do try to park away from other cars especially with my weekend car. If I *do* have to park next to someone, I try to park next to nicest looking car. I figure there's more of a chance they are more careful and don't want to damage their car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast