autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inside Griot's Garage

Regarding the Griot’s foam gun: if you mean the basic one I think that retails for around $40, I picked up a clone of it for $20 from Harbor Freight to use as a back up

It works well but you’re going to have to constantly refill it if you’re going to use it in the extreme wash method. It uses up much more soap than the metered Autogeek (Gilmour) foam gun for around $70. That’s why I still use it as my principle foam gun.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    You can view how I wash starting at the 7:25 mark:

Audi R8 BLACKBIRD: Basic Car Wash Techniques - /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube
    That method is interesting mostly because he is spraying the foam gun and directly following it with the wash mitt in one swoop. TBH I feel like you'd be just fine or even better off with a sopping wet soapy mitt and then dunking that mitt into your rinse bucket -- never saw Larry spray off the mitt or remove the dirt that it attracted (maybe that's the part where you introduce your extra wash mitts?). I can see how that method would lead to A LOT of soap use though through an unmetered foam gun as you mention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Nothing on the market protects against scratches but coatings are great without a doubt! Come on in, the waters fineInside Griot's GarageInside Griot's Garage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    What would be a good first DIY ceramic coating? There are so many and TBH it's not something I've spent much time researching due to my sentiments expressed earlier. I think one of my favorite aspects of a ceramic coating would be the fact that I could dry the car completely with my EGO 530 blower after a standard 2BM wash, and also I could use a more robust car shampoo (like CarPro Reset) without worrying about depleting my LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post
    That method is interesting mostly because he is spraying the foam gun and directly following it with the wash mitt in one swoop. TBH I feel like you'd be just fine or even better off with a sopping wet soapy mitt and then dunking that mitt into your rinse bucket -- never saw Larry spray off the mitt or remove the dirt that it attracted (maybe that's the part where you introduce your extra wash mitts?). I can see how that method would lead to A LOT of soap use though through an unmetered foam gun as you mention.
    Yeah, I’m surprised he didn’t use multiple mitts. I use about 5 per car. The thing that has me sold on this wash method that I’ve been doing for so long is that the foam gun allows for a constant stream of soapy water over the paint helping to flush dirt from it. The paint must be well LSPed for this to work. With that constant flow of soap I’ve gotten zero swirls on the four vehicles I maintain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post
    What would be a good first DIY ceramic coating? There are so many and TBH it's not something I've spent much time researching due to my sentiments expressed earlier. I think one of my favorite aspects of a ceramic coating would be the fact that I could dry the car completely with my EGO 530 blower after a standard 2BM wash, and also I could use a more robust car shampoo (like CarPro Reset) without worrying about depleting my LSP.
    You'll get many answers hereInside Griot's Garage

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Whether standard or rinseless, I will no longer use a single wash medium, I now use multiple clean wash mitts/towels so that a dirty mitt/towel never goes back on the paint. So my 2 bucket method is clean wash towels in one bucket, used towels in the second bucket. I no longer worry about my towels inducing marring in the paint.

But if doing a rinseless/waterless, you may want to look at Ammo Frothe. And his method of rolling the towel with Frothe to remove encapsulated dirt.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is for [mention]Bosko [/mention] I used some CSS in the kitchen today for some added shine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Whether standard or rinseless, I will no longer use a single wash medium, I now use multiple clean wash mitts/towels so that a dirty mitt/towel never goes back on the paint. So my 2 bucket method is clean wash towels in one bucket, used towels in the second bucket. I no longer worry about my towels inducing marring in the paint.

But if doing a rinseless/waterless, you may want to look at Ammo Frothe. And his method of rolling the towel with Frothe to remove encapsulated dirt.
    This is one method I haven't subscribed to and I'm not sure if I will, let me explain. First off my car is coated way down under there and topped on a regular basis, so clean up is easy! Next I ALWAYS pre-wash and now that I've used Bilt-Hamber Touchless and see its power, a single wash mitt will absolutely be fine. I'm still using 2BM with the advanced grit guards in both buckets. In closing I'll say I see nothing wrong with multiple wash mitts as it's basically the same as the GD method when doing a RW...GO FOR ITInside Griot's Garage

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

11. Likes dgage, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And I was talking about the multiple wash mitt method before there was a GD Method

13. Likes Klasse Act, dgage, umi000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    This is one method I haven't subscribed to and I'm not sure if I will, let me explain. First off my car is coated way down under there and topped on a regular basis, so clean up is easy! Next I ALWAYS pre-wash and now that I've used Bilt-Hamber Touchless and see its power, a single wash mitt will absolutely be fine. I'm still using 2BM with the advanced grit guards in both buckets. In closing I'll say I see nothing wrong with multiple wash mitts as it's basically the same as the GD method when doing a RW...GO FOR ITInside Griot's Garage
    I upgraded to Detail Guardz Dirt Lock and Scrub Wall for my rinse bucket but when the rinse water turns brown, not all of the dirt is falling out of suspension and into the bottom. From that point forward, I pledged to never even take the chance of putting a (potentially slightly) dirt mitt back on the paint.

Your method likely works for you but I don’t get to wash my car as often so it is I’m sure dirtier than yours most of the time. And I don’t want to pull out the hose all of the time though I also have Bilt Hamber.

So for me, I know I don’t even have to worry about it any more with multiple wash mitts and/or towels.

Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast