autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inside Griot's Garage

I would only use foaming surface prep if I were doing a massive detailInside Griot's Garage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    So mix with BSD then buff off? Might be ok, like mixing hydro 2 with Merlin’s. I’d check to see if it has any “soaps” in it wouldn’t want to buff on buff if it did and BSD wouldn’t foam in a sprayer.

Griots doesntcrecommend to use on coatings. Be careful with LSP’s
    Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I would only use foaming surface prep if I were doing a massive detailInside Griot's Garage
    Thanks for the input guys.

I should have been clearer - When referencing the Foaming Surface Prep, I only meant that Griot's presents it with multiple application approaches - You can foam it, or spray it via standard spray bottle mixed at 10:1 as a bug/road grime pretreatment per their info.

While I'd love to try the Surface Prep, I'll never go through a gallon of the stuff so it's not likely I'll pick it up. If I did I totally understand any product in it's category requires care and consideration. (In regards to potentially degrading the LSP).

Coatingsarecrack - From all the reading I've done, I don't think the Poly Gloss has any amount of soaps in it. But, in the end I'll still probably stick to using it as specified on the label.

Going through all the info I printed out when the BOSS Foaming stuff was released (Jeff Brown shared some links on the sister site), they do mention with the Foaming Poly Gloss that you can mix it at .5oz to 60oz water in a sprayer and apply it after washing but before rinsing.
    Not really much different than when using it with the foam cannon, but this at least gives you the option to use it without dragging out more equipment. I guess it's still functioning as a drying aid, just not in the way I always think of them (Wash car, rinse car, spray drying aid, dry car).

Maybe sometime for kicks I'll do a spot on my roof at that dilution without rinsing it off and see what happens. My curiosity on this stems from seeing products like the new Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax where they tout it as a Spray on/rinse off product, but people are spraying it on and buffing it in with positive results.

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy the smaller size of Griot's Garage foaming surface prep, I plan to do so with my next order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Buy the smaller size of Griot's Garage foaming surface prep, I plan to do so with my next order.

Have they released it in that size? I've only seen the gallons. They initially rolled out the line with 35oz available for all 3, but the Surface Prep proved to not be compatible with the plastic of the 35oz bottle so they switched to gallon only.

Did a quick check on Griot's site, AG, and DI; DI shows "pre-order available" for the 35oz size with an estimated ship date of 3/29/19. Not sure if that's just a placeholder date...

Post Thanks / Like

The sell the griots empty 35oz spray bottles to dilute down. Maybe theyll sell them full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Have they released it in that size? I've only seen the gallons. They initially rolled out the line with 35oz available for all 3, but the Surface Prep proved to not be compatible with the plastic of the 35oz bottle so they switched to gallon only.

Did a quick check on Griot's site, AG, and DI; DI shows "pre-order available" for the 35oz size with an estimated ship date of 3/29/19. Not sure if that's just a placeholder date...
    That's right, there was a bottle issue. Amazing some companies can do something about a bottle issue while others can't or will notInside Griot's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Conspiracy theory - Part of me wonders if they're keeping it in gallons to kinda shoo away your underinformed average Joe from a product that will strip/degrade LSPs. I would think most of them wouldn't spring the $50 to try something just to have it on their shelf (I'm certain I could be wrong...)

Similar thought with the Brilliant Finish Rinseless - A product that leaves nothing behind, perfect for Geeks like us that want their LSP to be the only show in town, but harder to explain to average catalog shopper. For a window into what I mean, go read the Q&A section on some of the products on the Griot's site - there are spots where people ask the same questions over and over.

10. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys.

I should have been clearer - When referencing the Foaming Surface Prep, I only meant that Griot's presents it with multiple application approaches - You can foam it, or spray it via standard spray bottle mixed at 10:1 as a bug/road grime pretreatment per their info.

While I'd love to try the Surface Prep, I'll never go through a gallon of the stuff so it's not likely I'll pick it up. If I did I totally understand any product in it's category requires care and consideration. (In regards to potentially degrading the LSP).

Coatingsarecrack - From all the reading I've done, I don't think the Poly Gloss has any amount of soaps in it. But, in the end I'll still probably stick to using it as specified on the label.

Going through all the info I printed out when the BOSS Foaming stuff was released (Jeff Brown shared some links on the sister site), they do mention with the Foaming Poly Gloss that you can mix it at .5oz to 60oz water in a sprayer and apply it after washing but before rinsing.
    Not really much different than when using it with the foam cannon, but this at least gives you the option to use it without dragging out more equipment. I guess it's still functioning as a drying aid, just not in the way I always think of them (Wash car, rinse car, spray drying aid, dry car).

Maybe sometime for kicks I'll do a spot on my roof at that dilution without rinsing it off and see what happens. My curiosity on this stems from seeing products like the new Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax where they tout it as a Spray on/rinse off product, but people are spraying it on and buffing it in with positive results.
    This is only a description of a product I have that I think could be simualar as the poly gloss. The product I have is very concentrated siloxane polymer. It can be diluted to be used in different ways to apply it. When used in the foamcannon you have 0.5oz product with 10oz water in the foamcannon bottle. At 1:20 it's foaming like crazy so the least chemical mix setting on the foamcannon. Foam on and switch to the wand and rinse it off with the water pressure from the PW. This gives me 3 months of solid protection. This same product you can dilute to 1:10 and apply like a sealant like PNS. Wipe it on with an applicator to a 2×2 area and wipe off directly. Know you bump up the longevity to 6 months. When you maintain it you dilute it in a spray bottle to 1:100. And spray it on the paint a panel at the time and directly rinse it off. Or you put 0.15oz in the car soap bucket for adding a little more protection from your wash.

If you have a panel where you can test poly gloss. I would test to apply it straight as a sealant application and the way you apply PNS. After spreading the product directly wipe it off. Of course this off label use is on your own risk. But don't think it's much different from a spray on rinse off product. Just with foaming it on you get way more even coverage applying it that way. And also if foam another spray on rinse off product. Use a foam pump sprayer bottle and not a foamcannon. As you would dilute it to much. Foam it on one panel and rinse it off.

When you rinse off a spray on rinse off product with a PW. You can see it foams on the paint a little and this is a tell to see it to get rinsed off thoroughly when it's not leaves any foam behind.

Did I say you do it on your own risk LOL

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome info. Thanks Tony!!!

I think there are worse things to experiment with than a little small scale sealant testing...

13. Likes Klasse Act, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s a place holder date. I ordered a 35oz bottle 1st week of January along with some other stuff and haven’t seen any because of the foam surface prep. Likely done doing business with DI. I did contact griots on the issues and said they are working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast