autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a used car, confused by Carfax

Trusting Carfax is like trusting Bernie Maddoff with your money. Carfax is garbage. There are tons of cars that should be salvaged or have major water damage that is never reported. The folks that auction and buy these vehicles know exactly how to keep it from showing.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

I have another question on a potential car I found. This particular carfax shows 2 owners, but I can't tell if it's really due to a correction. Also, should I be concerned about a Fleet and or corporate? Maybe fleet not so good as that could be a car rental? This one shows a corporate lease, but does have some service history, so at least they seemed to be maintaining it. You can see below that it was originally a corporate vehicle, then there was a correction, then later it was a lease and then sold at auction. I didn't paste in the oil changes.

Thanks for any thoughts on this one.

Owner 1
    Purchased: 2014
    Type: Corporate
    Where: Illinois
    Est. length owned: 12/29/14 - 7/1/16 (1 yr. 6 mo.)

12/29/2014 Illinois
    Motor Vehicle Dept. Vehicle purchase reported
    Titled or registered as
    corporate vehicle

01/26/2016 Illinois
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Saint Charles, IL Registration issued or renewed
    Correction to record

Owner 2
    Purchased: 2016
    Type: Lease
    Where: Illinois
    Est. length owned: 7/1/16 - 8/8/16 (1 month)

07/01/2016 36,236 Illinois
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Chicago, IL
    Title #161836280220 Title issued or updated
    New owner reported
    Loan or lien reported
    Titled or registered as lease vehicle
    Vehicle color noted as Gray

08/08/2016 Auto Auction
    Illinois Vehicle sold at auction

Post Thanks / Like

Fleet and Corporate vehicles are typically much much worse than leased vehicles. At least a personal leased vehicle has to be returned and the person has to answer for certain things versus Fleet vehicles. Fleet vehicles will go through things that a regular owned or leased vehicle never will like idling for major periods of time every day, oil changes done whenever they feel like it. Depends on the company that had it as a Fleet car as well. A corporate Fleet car could've just been a vehicle that a company gives to their top tier executives. Or it could've been used by a leasing company or even some tow truck companies who maintain cars like that. It's better to stay away from a Fleet vehicle frankly. I know this because my place of employment has a fleet of about 30 vehicles and the nicest vehicle is a Chevrolet Tahoe that I wouldn't pay 5 grand for because the people who drive don't care about babying the truck or being careful so everything is driven to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again. I found another potential vehicle, but my concern is that it's being sold by a 'generic' used car dealer. It's not CPO from Buick and it's not even CarMax 'guaranteed'. It's a 2014 with only 15k miles, so even if they hadn't been maintaining it they probably only missed 1 major service/oil change (if Buick's go 10k between oil changes, maybe it's less). CarFax shows no service records, only emissions inspections, but is otherwise clean as far as one owner and personal lease.

They get decent reviews online (the same/slightly better than one might expect from a car dealer, probably better than I'd expect from an independent used car place).

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

The used car game is just that ... could be someone's nightmare or simply time for an upgrade. You need to visit and see the unit. Check under the hood for dirt and damage, do things look right for its age. Are the bolts correct and painted. Look in glove compartment and see if any receipts or previous owners name is there. See if you are allowed to take a mechanic. There are now services that do a formal inspection for the buyer before purchase. Never 100% certain, but some steps to help a bit.

Scott

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123