autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Way off topic: who knows tires???

I wanted to get new tires for my 09 Honda Accord so I was talking to the guy at Mavis Discount Tires. This guy is just some tool that's paid to say "oh yeah, that's a good tire". It's like talking to the out of work car salesman who's working in the plumbing department at Home Depot. I'm looking to replace the Michelin Pilot HX M4Ms with a better performance tire. I drive a long commute (about 70 miles one way) and I'm a very spirited driver so my main priority is good grip and handling. What do you recommend?
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Way off topic: who knows tires???

Have you looked at Tire Rack? They don't show a Pilot HX M4M, but they show an HX MX4M. The HX MX4M is in the Grand Touring All Season...I recently looked at 3 tires in that category, the Michelin Premier A/S, Continental PureContact, and the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. Those seem to be the 3 to pick from, I got the Michelins but I haven't driven on them yet, a friend got the Pirellis and loves them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 28 years in the tire business. Are you looking for true performance, or a good performing all season tire? Mostly highway miles or combination. How many miles a year. How important is ride quality? Also what kind of mileage?
    If you'll rate these things in order of importance.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    I drive a long commute (about 70 miles one way) and I'm a very spirited driver so my main priority is good grip and handling.
    You can't have both, grip/handling and long wear for your 140 miles round trip. Grip/handling tires are made with softer/stickier components that wear down faster. Long lasting tires are made with "harder" components that last longer. I'd put your Accord in the same category as my wife's Lexus ES 350...built more for comfort than speed. I put some Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance tires on her Lexus about 20,000 miles ago and I'm very happy with them They look like I bought them yesterday and handle surprising very well. I'd buy them again in a heart beat.

Way off topic: who knows tires???-goodyear-assurance-tripletred-all-season-2-jpg
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    I wanted to get new tires for my 09 Honda Accord so I was talking to the guy at Mavis Discount Tires. This guy is just some tool that's paid to say "oh yeah, that's a good tire". It's like talking to the out of work car salesman who's working in the plumbing department at Home Depot. I'm looking to replace the Michelin Pilot HX M4Ms with a better performance tire. I drive a long commute (about 70 miles one way) and I'm a very spirited driver so my main priority is good grip and handling. What do you recommend?
    Hankooks. I love my Ventus V12's on my GC and I tear it up. Best tire on the market for the money. They get great reviews too.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Also are you going to run these tires year round or do you have winter tires you run?
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be running them year round with mostly highway miles. Yes, it'll be nice if they'd last a while but good handling is really important to me. I do over 80 (won't say how much over 80) most days and I need tires up for the job.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Spend some time reading tests and reviews on tirerack for ultra performance all seasons.

I can get by with summer tires year round. You probably can't up there. All seasons tend to have softer sidewalls. For a decent handling all season, the Michelin as3 has done well on front on my CTS-V. They are not extreme performance summer tires like the re11 though. They also don't rate too well for snow though which isn't too much of a concern here in north Texas. The new bfg g-force all seasons look promising. I ran their kdws on a grand am and they handled well. My wife's car is a G8 GXP. It currently has cooper rs3A's on it. Softer sidewalls though. They still handle triple digits on a 2 ton sedan though. Moddly enough I had decent luck with Federal 595 tires even in some snow. Not the up most in straight line traction for v8's, but should he fine on an accord. A
    For the best, run a set of summer tires and a set or winter tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah skip my Ventus suggestion, they are Summer hi pro and love the Florida weather.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast