autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

STA-BIL Question (MPBGT)

I started doing some work on my car a long time ago without the expectation that it would be off the road for so long. By the time I get finished the gas will likely be 10-12 months old (9 right now).

Since I didn't expect it to work out this way I didn't put any STA-BIL in before I started, and I'm not sure what to do now...put some in now? I also have some "Start Your Engines!" but I'm not sure this is safe for an emissions-controlled engine (vs. a lawnmower or snowblower).

Any help?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: STA-BIL Question (MPBGT)

I let my 04 GP sit for a year with a 1/4 tank. I see you are in New Jersey so somewhat similar weather to Wisconsin.
    When I put it in motion I put a can of sea foam in and filled it with the the usual BP premium. I didn't have any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

•I was always taught that STA-BIL will:
    -keep fuels stabilized (ex: neutralize acids, prevent oxidation)
    -keep fuels from going stale (up to 2 yrs.)

•On the other hand...STA-BIL will not:
    -"revitalize" fuels

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I would start it....

If your concerned, depending on how much gas is in your tank, you could always add new gas to it.

Or, you could get a hand transfer pump, remove some gas then add fresh gas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •I was always taught that STA-BIL will:
    -keep fuels stabilized (ex: neutralize acids, prevent oxidation)
    -keep fuels from going stale (up to 2 yrs.)

•On the other hand...STA-BIL will not:
    -"revitalize" fuels

Bob
    Bob is 100% correct. You can still add it now, it may not be as effective as it would be in fresh fuel. It will help prevent any further gum or varnish.

My recommendation would be to add Stabil now and when finish up add on fresh fuel on top and fire it up. I would not use Start Your Engines in that large of a tank.

What kind of car is it? How much fuel is in the car? Was it ethanol blended or ethanol free fuel that you put in before parking it? Is it climate controlled where you parked it? All those play into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPBGT View Post
    My recommendation would be to add Stabil now and when finish up add on fresh fuel on top and fire it up. I would not use Start Your Engines in that large of a tank.

What kind of car is it? How much fuel is in the car? Was it ethanol blended or ethanol free fuel that you put in before parking it? Is it climate controlled where you parked it? All those play into it.
    It's a mid-00's GM 3.6l (prior to direct injection). We have 10% ethanol in the fuel here AFAIK. It's in an attached garage so I'd say the temp has been from 40-95F during the storage period. I really don't know how much is in the tank and because it's proximity key/push button start, I can't get live instruments unless the car is running (accessory position doesn't power the gages--I guess Lutz hadn't gotten to this one yet), so I'm not going to be able to answer that until I try to start it. I may be able to guess from the trip odo.

Post Thanks / Like

The suggestions to add Sta-Bil now and fresh fuel just before start-up (assuming the tank is not full) are right on.Don't pound on the car until the old fuel gone.

9 months storage without stabilizer is not ideal, but odds are you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out it's only been 8 months, and there's probably 14-15 gallons in the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Only eight months? Just drive it until it's almost empty. But i would add a bottle of HEAT Isopropyl based water remover just in case.

If it was a whole lot older I would drain the tank.

But here is a little story.

A buddy wanted to store his Mazda MPV MiniVan in my backyard. Said it would only be a few weeks. That was in 1997. I have kept a Battery Tender on it the whole time. And I start it up every three months and let it run for over an hour.
    It STILL starts and idles on that same tank of gas. Which is now 19 years old. I wouldn't do this with any car I cared about but he has obviously abandoned it. The paint is now all gone and the interior "smells funny".
    Too bad. When he parked it there it looked like brand new.

So I would not be too worried about your tank of gas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    Only eight months? Just drive it until it's almost empty. But i would add a bottle of HEAT Isopropyl based water remover just in case.

If it was a whole lot older I would drain the tank.

But here is a little story.

A buddy wanted to store his Mazda MPV MiniVan in my backyard. Said it would only be a few weeks. That was in 1997. I have kept a Battery Tender on it the whole time. And I start it up every three months and let it run for over an hour.
    It STILL starts and idles on that same tank of gas. Which is now 19 years old. I wouldn't do this with any car I cared about but he has obviously abandoned it. The paint is now all gone and the interior "smells funny".
    Too bad. When he parked it there it looked like brand new.

So I would not be too worried about your tank of gas.
    Lol! That's awesome.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast