autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuck in a rut.

Post Thanks / Like

stuck in a rut.

I've been using the same cutting compound for three or more years. M-100 then 205. It's working fine but with some cars I just can't seem to get a mirror finish. I mean 100% scratch free. I know most clients don't want that type of finish. But I feel like I'm missing out on other combinations of compound and pads. What works best for you? (Im using a flex, dewalt polisher, porter/cable and purple meguires pads, and random finishing pads)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: stuck in a rut.

I think almost any of the main lines from AGO would do you good.
    3D, Blackfire, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Menzerna, just to name a few. Research a bit on their equivalents to Meguiar's cutting and polishing combo.

Like 3D's combo here
    3D AAT Paint Perfecting Combo

3D's other combo here
    3D HD Cut
    3D HD Polish

Pinnacle's compound and polish
    Pinnacle Advanced Compound, swirl remover
    Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Now I'm too lazy to list the rest lol. Just check the rest by brands, and pick a system that appeals to you by price, style, and all that.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you not removing all the heavy defects, or not finishing out clearly?

Switching to a wool pad on the rotary - or even Microfiber on the d/a will help you remove more of the defects.

Random finishing pads... It's hard to say based on that description, but I've rarely seen M205 have problems finishing out. On something like a white LC polishing pad you should be getting pretty good results, especially on a d/a.

The only other polishes I use regularly are Menzerna.

FG400
    PF2500
    SF4000

If you ever went that route, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Flex machines, LC Hybrid pads, and Menzerna polishes.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

Post Thanks / Like

I beleive u get what u pay for, it's pricey but in my opinion nothing compares to the 3m perfect-it iii system. I've tried a few other compound and polish combos and they don't even come close. It's simple to use, cuts quick and has amazing results. I use it for paint corrections on a daily basis. Anything from dirt nibs to sand scratches, oxidized paint swirl marks. Most of the time a simple 1 2 and i'm done. For more stubborn problems some super duty and a wool pad. Anything from spot jobs to complete show car polishing is no problem. Again, expensive but their trizact pads are incredible for resurfacing and spot fixes. Worth every penny. Double sided waffle pads, ex compound and polish, and my trusty dewalt high speed and i'm good 2 go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K1NGGREEN View Post
    I beleive u get what u pay for, it's pricey but in my opinion nothing compares to the 3m perfect-it iii system. I've tried a few other compound and polish combos and they don't even come close. It's simple to use, cuts quick and has amazing results. I use it for paint corrections on a daily basis. Anything from dirt nibs to sand scratches, oxidized paint swirl marks. Most of the time a simple 1 2 and i'm done. For more stubborn problems some super duty and a wool pad. Anything from spot jobs to complete show car polishing is no problem. Again, expensive but their trizact pads are incredible for resurfacing and spot fixes. Worth every penny. Double sided waffle pads, ex compound and polish, and my trusty dewalt high speed and i'm good 2 go.
    Those trizact are on my "wish list".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    those trizact are on my "wish list".
    They're expensive, but they work and if taken care of, they last. I can easily get 3-4 cars (spot paint corrections) done with one, 6 inch 3000 grit pad. 5000 isn't really necessary but it does make the buffing process a breeze. I'm a polisher at a paint shop so I do panel repairs. Denib and orange peal mostly and sometimes runs or other defects. I've had the same box for over 6 months and still have plenty left

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K1NGGREEN View Post
    They're expensive, but they work and if taken care of, they last. I can easily get 3-4 cars (spot paint corrections) done with one, 6 inch 3000 grit pad. 5000 isn't really necessary but it does make the buffing process a breeze. I'm a polisher at a paint shop so I do panel repairs. Denib and orange peal mostly and sometimes runs or other defects. I've had the same box for over 6 months and still have plenty left
    Thanks for the tip.

You have the job I wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

A carpenter doesn't have just one hammer. The best advice someone gave me is, find what you like and stick with it. With that said, keep at least 3 other like/type products in your inventory.

Megs 100 / 205 is different technology than Pinnacle, Menz, 3D. So one product may not fit all finishes on cars. In my inventory:

My go to product is both Pinnacle compounds and polish. I'm never let down and always pleased by Pinnacle Advanced Compound followed by Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

Other products in inventory:

Menzerna FG400, SF4000/SF4500

3D HD Speed
    3D HD Adapt 501
    3D HD Adapt 502

Griot's Garrage BOSS 5.5 BOSS Correcting Cream
    Griot's Garrage BOSS 5.5 BOSS Fast Correcting Cream
    Griot's Garrage BOSS 5.5 BOSS Finishing Sealant Cream
    Griot's Garrage BOSS 5.5 BOSS Perfecting Cream

Meguiars M105 Ultra-Cut Compound
    Meguiars M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Fine Finish Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    ...one product may not fit all finishes on cars.
    There is so much truth in this statement.

I have never run into 2 cars that acted the same. Some are very similar and I can guess what to expect based on my experiences.

Having a variety of pads and compounds/polishes is very beneficial. Learning how those products act and how to work around how they react to different paints will take your abilities to the next level.

Test spots are your friend. Being able to figure out what it takes to get a small section to perfect before attempting the rest of the car will help you figure out what pad/compound combo gets the job done.

Read up on Kevin Brown's articles about residue control. This will also help you.

Which megs burgundy pads are you using? The new thin ones? They provide more cut than the older thicker pads. Maybe give some microfiber pads on a DA/Flex a try.

Maybe pick up a black trunk from the junkyard to practice on. See what it actually takes to get it perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast