autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here it is! BOSS - Best of Show System

I just ordered a G21 for myself to try. I am totally against rebranded Rupes type polishers but this one is clearly not. It seems to me that they have made an effort to rethink every component of the Rupes and asked themselves what could they make even better. They changed the casing to be more ergonomic, upgraded the power cable, used different internals and bearings, and has a more powerful motor. If this was simply a Rupes knockoff, it would look exactly the same on the outside, sans some badging, like all the other knockoffs I've seen.

So the numbers are the same, 15mm and 21mm. Maybe it's because those throw distances work good for a reason and there's no need to change them?

I realize that the BOSS units do look similar to their Rupes targeted competition, but clearly they have taken a lot of steps to show that they did not simply copy and just rebrand it. I for one, respect their efforts and want to eagerly try it myself to compare. After all, it's a new toy that I get to play with and do a review!

I could be wrong, but I can't remember seeing any complaints about Griot's copying Porter Cable when Griot's released their 6" polisher. They look similar in shape, about the same throw (both are not considered long-throw) and they are both categorized as DA polishers. The GG6 is more powerful than the PC, just like the G21 is more powerful (supposedly) than the Rupes LHR21ES. To me, this is more of the same.

In the end, I don't care who makes it or where they drew inspiration from, all I care is that they didn't just Xerox-copy someone else and call it their own, and that I am happy with the way it performs and handles in my hands.

As for the price, they are right on the same price point as the units from Rupes to which they are targeted, which is understandable ($399 vs $385 at AG)

If I get flamed for defending Griot's then so be it, but I'd rather flame something after I've tried it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

^ when you give it a good workout, please post your honest feedback...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said DaytonaJae, well said

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    ^ when you give it a good workout, please post your honest feedback...
    Believe me, I will.
    Who knows? I could end up HATING it.
    Right now, I'm interested to try it, that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, who's selling their used Rupes/Flex now?

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is! BOSS - Best of Show System

The lifetime guarantee & 2 years warranty is a plus

Buff like THE BOSS!!!
    Here it is! BOSS - Best of Show System-imageuploadedbyagonline1433647285-723300-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    900 watts compared to Rupes 500 watts, I am curious if that will benefit the polishing or if it's nothing more then an energy beast. What would have been sweet is if Griots would come out with a forced rotation version, akin to a FLEX but less expensive

You are only saving $15 from buying a Rupes so even if Griots made a flex clone I doubt it would be much cheaper than a Flex but it is surprising that nobody has a knock-off of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    Folks need to get over the price. If it's price too high then it will not sell. Besides I imagine the price reflects the warranty Griot is known for. Lastly, virtually everything is made in China, from Harley parts to IPhones---let's get over that given too.
    Amen Men!!

Isn't ironic that a person whose posting here ragging about an import is most likely doing it on a device made overseas LOL!!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaJae View Post
    I just ordered a G21 for myself to try. I am totally against rebranded Rupes type polishers but this one is clearly not. It seems to me that they have made an effort to rethink every component of the Rupes and asked themselves what could they make even better. They changed the casing to be more ergonomic, upgraded the power cable, used different internals and bearings, and has a more powerful motor. If this was simply a Rupes knockoff, it would look exactly the same on the outside, sans some badging, like all the other knockoffs I've seen.

So the numbers are the same, 15mm and 21mm. Maybe it's because those throw distances work good for a reason and there's no need to change them?

I realize that the BOSS units do look similar to their Rupes targeted competition, but clearly they have taken a lot of steps to show that they did not simply copy and just rebrand it. I for one, respect their efforts and want to eagerly try it myself to compare. After all, it's a new toy that I get to play with and do a review!

I could be wrong, but I can't remember seeing any complaints about Griot's copying Porter Cable when Griot's released their 6" polisher. They look similar in shape, about the same throw (both are not considered long-throw) and they are both categorized as DA polishers. The GG6 is more powerful than the PC, just like the G21 is more powerful (supposedly) than the Rupes LHR21ES. To me, this is more of the same.

In the end, I don't care who makes it or where they drew inspiration from, all I care is that they didn't just Xerox-copy someone else and call it their own, and that I am happy with the way it performs and handles in my hands.

As for the price, they are right on the same price point as the units from Rupes to which they are targeted, which is understandable ($399 vs $385 at AG)

If I get flamed for defending Griot's then so be it, but I'd rather flame something after I've tried it myself.
    well said.

thanks for the review mike!

just bought the boss 15'' i have the rupes 21 and after reading that my buddy franks likes it and approves it, i think ill like it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see this compared to the Rupes side by side! I have the Griot's 6" DA which was my first DA and I love it! Then I got a Flex and love that too. This seems like a good addition to the arsenal pending good reviews!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast