autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Captains boat coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Plenty of real world testing (we have a massive marina next door to us after all). It makes the boat VERY easy to clean - hardly anything will stick to it.

Gel coat is far more porous than paint, and that was considered during the formulation of Captain's Boat Coating. You can use it on automotive paint, but you'll find that it tends to smear when you level any high spots. When used on gel coat it's a breeze to apply.
    Any thoughts in regards to my second question? (Issues with red fading)

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Any thoughts in regards to my second question? (Issues with red fading)
    Oops! If it fades quickly (within 3-4 weeks) after compounding/polishing/waxing, then the surface is unstable and beyond the point of being "sealed." The coating will not help.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops! If it fades quickly (within 3-4 weeks) after compounding/polishing/waxing, then the surface is unstable and beyond the point of being "sealed." The coating will not help.
    Could you expand on this a bit? Just trying to educate myself here....is there a point where a boat has spent enough time in the sun that it "degrades" (for lack of a better term) the gelcoat/color below the outside surface that is exposed to the sun?

So let's say we compound and polish..... we're removing the layer that's faded and oxidized essentially exposing a "fresh" layer of gelcoat/color. Is there a reason at that point it wouldn't accept this coating or a wax. Or maybe a better question is, is it unreasonable to expect any product to maintain the color if the boat is sitting in the water 24/7 over the course of a summer.

Thanks for the feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Could you expand on this a bit? Just trying to educate myself here....is there a point where a boat has spent enough time in the sun that it "degrades" (for lack of a better term) the gelcoat/color below the outside surface that is exposed to the sun?

So let's say we compound and polish..... we're removing the layer that's faded and oxidized essentially exposing a "fresh" layer of gelcoat/color. Is there a reason at that point it wouldn't accept this coating or a wax. Or maybe a better question is, is it unreasonable to expect any product to maintain the color if the boat is sitting in the water 24/7 over the course of a summer.

Thanks for the feedback
    Think of it as clear coat failure - once it starts, you can't fix it. The obvious sign of, let's call it "gel coat failure" is when you meticulously compound, polish and wax it (thus creating a smooth, glossy finish) only to have it oxidize and fade again in a matter of weeks. The gel coat itself is unstable, and cannot remain clear and glossy for more than a week or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff, thanks for the responses. Will probably have to check this stuff out on our boat when it gets released. Can't wait to hear from others that have used it/will use it

Post Thanks / Like

One last question I swear.....do you believe or have your tests shown this coating to protect better than wax against U.V. rays/oxidation?

Post Thanks / Like

Now available at Marine 31! - Marine 31 Captain's Boat Coating with UV50

One last question I swear.....do you believe or have your tests shown this coating to protect better than wax against U.V. rays/oxidation?
    It provides far superior UV protection compared to a traditional wax/sealant.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gel coat is far more porous than paint, and that was considered during the formulation of Captain's Boat Coating. You can use it on automotive paint, but you'll find that it tends to smear when you level any high spots. When used on gel coat it's a breeze to apply.
    I purchased the Captain's Coating since I've been pleased with other Marine 31 products. My new to me boat was painted with Imron paint by a previous owner and the coating smeared as Nick described and was a lot of work to remove. I probably had to use more product than normally needed due to it smearing and drying too fast. I completed both sides of the boat, but I don't want to go through all that work for the interior and bottom. Any recommendations for an equivalent coating that will be easier to apply on Imron paint?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dufrsp31 View Post

Any recommendations for an equivalent coating that will be easier to apply on Imron paint?
    Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating.

For best results with any coating you're going to want to start with a clean, fresh base.

I suspect that sine Imron is a catalyzed paint, a paint coating will be a better match even though you're working on a boat.

What kind of boat?
    What color?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

What kind of boat?
    What color?

Hi Mike,

The boat is a 23' Contender and the sides are black. I did a test spot with the Captain's coating on the bottom which is a light sea foam color and had the same smearing results. I have lots of time put into cleaning up this boat and correcting the surfaces prior to applying the Captain's coating. The boat had lots of orange peel from the paint job and oxidation on the top sides from lack of proper care. After all the wet sanding and buffing, I really want maximum protection to minimize how often I need to polish her up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast