autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: *NEW* BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Coating!

Quote Originally Posted by Odisious View Post
    What's the diff with the nano glass ceramic (DP coating), compared to the quartz (BF coating)? I read that Nick@ag said the quartz is a thicker measurable layer...but what's the difference and is one better than the other?

I too am wondering the differences!
    Charleston, SC

FLEX 3401, PC 7424xp, HF DA I Opticoated my shower......

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few questions reguarding the application of crystal coating. I have not applied a coating before, in prep for applying this i have watched several videos of cquartz. When knocking down the high spots it appears as if the residue is completely removed by buffing with a mf towel. Is this the proper procedure for leveling the coating? Are there any videos that you recomend that accurately show the process?
    It is also my understanding that this coating should not be topped with anything but crystal seal. If this is true how long after application of the coating must i wait before topping with crystal seal? Can i apply a second layer of the coating instead of topping with crystal seal? Thanks for your help. I am excited to see the results this coating provides

Post Thanks / Like

Is this product layerable if so how long after the first application before adding the second coat. Optiguard recomends no more than 3 layers or clarity will be an issue.

Crystal seal will be used as a maintence coating.? Can Eraser be used as final wipe down step or do you need to be brand specific before coating is applied.? Just trying to get best results first time around.....

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krwtek1 View Post
    I have a few questions reguarding the application of crystal coating. I have not applied a coating before, in prep for applying this i have watched several videos of cquartz. When knocking down the high spots it appears as if the residue is completely removed by buffing with a mf towel. Is this the proper procedure for leveling the coating? Are there any videos that you recomend that accurately show the process?
    It is also my understanding that this coating should not be topped with anything but crystal seal. If this is true how long after application of the coating must i wait before topping with crystal seal? Can i apply a second layer of the coating instead of topping with crystal seal? Thanks for your help. I am excited to see the results this coating provides
    I apologize for the late reply, I was on vacation and yesterday was my first day back in the office.

The coating essentially "melts" into the paint as you apply it. Any excess product (ie: "high spots") are easily leveled using a microfiber towel. No videos yet - stay tuned!

You can apply Crystal Seal within a day or two, but it's not necessary. The only reason to apply Crystal Seal is because you can't stand NOT to touch your paint.

Quote Originally Posted by bill buxton View Post
    Is this product layerable if so how long after the first application before adding the second coat. Optiguard recomends no more than 3 layers or clarity will be an issue.

Crystal seal will be used as a maintence coating.? Can Eraser be used as final wipe down step or do you need to be brand specific before coating is applied.? Just trying to get best results first time around.....
    Layering is not beneficial - apply one coat and you're good to go.

Eraser might work for some people, but I personally prefer to stick with each manufacturer's recommended procedure for prepping the surface, so in this case Crystal Coat Paint Prep is the preferred way to prep the paint prior to applying the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

The questions I have are regarding what happens later, 2 years down the road.

How do you know when the coating has reached it's limit? Lack of beading? Does it change color, yellow?

How do you remove it to recoat again? Does it have to be polished and how do you know you have all of the coating off and not taking off more clear coat? Will something like Prep All work?

Or will the coating just disappear and all you need to do is to maybe use the prep then apply the coating again without having to polish again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isewake View Post

How do you know when the coating has reached it's limit? Lack of beading? Does it change color, yellow?

How do you remove it to recoat again? Does it have to be polished and how do you know you have all of the coating off and not taking off more clear coat? Will something like Prep All work?
    Great questions and I wondered the same thing. Most of the coatings folks talk about there are new or applied to a customer's car, so there isn't a good opportunity to talk about end-of-life of these products.

I also wonder if you're satisfied with the condition of the paint at the one year point if you could clean/prep the surface with a non-abrasive product and just throw down another layer of the coating vs. polishing the whole thing off and starting over.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll find that the coating gets scratches, etchings, etc... just as the clearcoat did. That's its job...sacrificial barrier. You'll most likely have to polish out the imperfections and reapply long before the technical end life of the coating.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isewake View Post

Or will the coating just disappear and all you need to do is to maybe use the prep then apply the coating again without having to polish again?
    As the coating wears off the gloss and beading will diminish. To re-apply simply wash, clay, polish, and prep the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Great questions and I wondered the same thing. Most of the coatings folks talk about there are new or applied to a customer's car, so there isn't a good opportunity to talk about end-of-life of these products.

I also wonder if you're satisfied with the condition of the paint at the one year point if you could clean/prep the surface with a non-abrasive product and just throw down another layer of the coating vs. polishing the whole thing off and starting over.
    \\

If you're not happy with the quality of the finish after a year, then you need to re-evaluate how you're maintaining the finish once you've coated it. If you like to constantly touch the paint, then consider applying a coat of Crystal Seal every couple months. This will boost the slickness. Other than that all you need to do is wash the vehicle with a quality shampoo, and be sure to use quality wash mitts and drying towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Nick.

Based on what you stated above, when drying, would it be advisable NOT to use a drying aid or would using a product from the same family like the WW or QD be OK? I don't really have an issue with avoiding toppers, but drying aides do make the process a little easier and safer.

All the recent coating discussions have me reevaluating my approach to the family DD's and I'd like to fully understand what's all involved with the long term maintenance, if any.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    As the coating wears off the gloss and beading will diminish. To re-apply simply wash, clay, polish, and prep the paint.
    I guess what I was wanting to know was how much do you have to polish. Can any kind of polish be used? Could it be a finishing polish or does it need more cut? Will one pass with a DA be enough? Does the pad have to have some cut to it? Can it be like a LC CCS black? Sorry for the questions. I have only used wax or sealant (Sonax PNS) so I have used Prep All to prep the paint. Would like to do this coating but want to make sure I know what to expect on the end of life side of it.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast