autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: *NEW* BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Coating!

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonfan15 View Post
    Has anybody put Pinnacle Souveron liquid spray wax on top of this coating?

Wondering if there would any side effects.

http://youtu.be/sluHwh3hJhI
    Charleston, SC

FLEX 3401, PC 7424xp, HF DA I Opticoated my shower......

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I love these coating threads...the discussion immediately turns to topping them. Incredible.
    Sorry if it's a stupid question. Trying to think long term.

My truck sits outside in the Florida sun. I would like to keep the surface as slick as possible for as long as possible and I thought the spray wax (free sample that I chose) might be good to put on top of the Blackfire from time to time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I applied this coating to my 2015 Sierra over the past weekend. Overall we had a pretty difficult time. I'm not sure if it was the heat or the humidity, but it was very challenging to buff out. We started with a wash, clay (nano skin), polish, BF Coating Prep, and then the Crystal Coating. The prep and coating were applied in the shade. The bottle was a challenge to use as others have commented on and it was not easy to spread. Buffing the high spots might have been the biggest challenge. We had to use a lot of pressure to remove them. The guy helping me had applied several other coatings and said this was by far the hardest.

On a positive note it appears to be working. It rained the day after and the rain beads right off. The coating also feels thick. The coating by itself is not very slick however.

I hope this review helps others out.

Post Thanks / Like

I applied this coating to my 2015 Sierra over the past weekend. Overall we had a pretty difficult time. I'm not sure if it was the heat or the humidity, but it was very challenging to buff out. We started with a wash, clay (nano skin), polish, BF Coating Prep, and then the Crystal Coating. The prep and coating were applied in the shade. The bottle was a challenge to use as others have commented on and it was not easy to spread. Buffing the high spots might have been the biggest challenge. We had to use a lot of pressure to remove them. The guy helping me had applied several other coatings and said this was by far the hardest.

On a positive note it appears to be working. It rained the day after and the rain beads right off. The coating also feels thick. The coating by itself is not very slick however.

I'm very glad to hear this. I'm sorry you went through it, but I now feel better about my experience. I encountered the exact same problems.

For me the product went on easily, but it turned sticky and gooey almost immediately and would grab the MF towel as I tried to level it out. I waited a little bit longer and it turned hard quickly and was EXTREMELY hard to buff out.

I have the same post-application observations as well. It isn't as slick or smooth as products like 845 or Klasse SG. However, it does seem "thick" and on a metallic grey paint it looks amazing.

I applied the product to my daughter's car which sits out in an apartment parking lot or university parking garage. Both areas are construction zones. Despite all the dust and dirt in the air, the car always looks clean. All it takes is a good rain shower to completely rinse off the car. I also noticed when washing the car last week it sheets/repels water like nothing I've ever used before.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few pictures.

2015 Sierra

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Eekk..I'm about to do this on my car soon.

You got any tips to make the job easier?

I'm planning to use the CarPro Suede Microfiber Cloth to apply the coat. It sounds like it could be very difficult to apply with that if it sticks so much.

Another question, would a 1:10 diluted IPA wipe remove this coating after it has been cured? Looking to "top" it up after a week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire is so eas to apply and remove with very little effort,and gives you outstanding results,and protection good stuff,

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Temjin View Post

I'm planning to use the CarPro Suede Microfiber Cloth to apply the coat. It sounds like it could be very difficult to apply with that if it sticks so much.

Another question, would a 1:10 diluted IPA wipe remove this coating after it has been cured? Looking to "top" it up after a week or so.
    I have no clue on the IPA wipe down. Maybe another more experienced member can chime in.

What will the temperature and humidity be when you are applying it? Are you going to use the prep spray?

I would start off by working a small section at a time. Test it to see how long it is taking to flash. I found that if I waited too long (even as little as two minutes) it took a lot more work to buff out.

I applied mine with Lake Country pads. I am not familiar with those particular microfiber cloths, but I would think something smooth with small pores would be best. Any sort of nap will probably cause a lot of drag. I would also be concerned with the coating curing on the microfiber.

Also make sure you have plenty of microfiber cloths available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Temjin View Post

I was told by Ray (Autopia) not to layer it as it may have issues. Manufacturer also doesn't make a mention of layering (which is a common slogan for most LSPs so if it's missing, it must not be recommended). I personally tried a second layer after 24 hours (with car unused) and give it a very light IPA wipe. The second layer was showing a lot of high spots so I was doing it more like a wipe on wipe off. I did not run into any issues.

I am personally of the opinion that if you have to layer, it should be done in an hour of first layer (ensuring no streaks high spots from prior layer ). Once the first layer cures and hardens it may/will repel it's own second layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no clue on the IPA wipe down. Maybe another more experienced member can chime in.

What will the temperature and humidity be when you are applying it? Are you going to use the prep spray?

I would start off by working a small section at a time. Test it to see how long it is taking to flash. I found that if I waited too long (even as little as two minutes) it took a lot more work to buff out.

I applied mine with Lake Country pads. I am not familiar with those particular microfiber cloths, but I would think something smooth with small pores would be best. Any sort of nap will probably cause a lot of drag. I would also be concerned with the coating curing on the microfiber.

Also make sure you have plenty of microfiber cloths available.
    I am using the Blackfire Prep Spray. Temperature should be in the low 20s C (68 - 74 F) and humidity is likely around 30-50%. (in the afternoon)

My research here tells me the suede clothes soak up less product than the foam pads. So I guess I would follow the "a little goes a long way" advice. I do plan to chuck away the clothes after the coating is done.

Quote Originally Posted by sealthedeal View Post
    I was told by Ray (Autopia) not to layer it as it may have issues. Manufacturer also doesn't make a mention of layering (which is a common slogan for most LSPs so if it's missing, it must not be recommended). I personally tried a second layer after 24 hours (with car unused) and give it a very light IPA wipe. The second layer was showing a lot of high spots so I was doing it more like a wipe on wipe off. I did not run into any issues.

I am personally of the opinion that if you have to layer, it should be done in an hour of first layer (ensuring no streaks high spots from prior layer ). Once the first layer cures and hardens it may/will repel it's own second layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not actually planning to add a second layer of the same coat. I will be using the Gtechniq c2v3 liquid crystal as a topping on a cured BF coat. I expect the liquid crystal will work on almost all surfaces.

Would be great if anyone know if the 10% IPA solution would remove the BF coat.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast