autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Non Shedding, Lint Fee detail towels? DISAPPOINTED!

Morning Folks,

I am a new member of the Autogeekonline community and wanted to share a few recent experiences with "non shedding, lint free" microfiber detail towels.

I certainly not a kid, but rather a 61 year old man who has built and owned many BLACK colored vehicles, many of them show quality vehicles. I recently completing a Raven BLACK, 1955 Ford Thunderbird Pro Touring vehicle that took 2 long years to complete. It was built to be driven and to different than any other 55 on the road.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to receive an invitation to display our Thunderbird at the Harrisburg, PA Motorama car show this his past weekend. For 4 days, I completed a 6 step, wet sanding and buffing exercise on this car and I have admit, it looked spectacular and showed extremely well. The fact I needed a non shedding or a lint free detail towel was evident and important to me.

For 40 years, I've used "quality woven, ultra soft" terry towels for ALL detailing and have been very successful using them, but with any towel you have to be careful picking up granular dust and dirt.

I've been hearing and seeing many people using these fabulous microfiber towels, so I decided to change my way of thinking and try these new revolutionary towels! Maybe they really work? Maybe they won't shed as advertised? Well I'm here to tell you, THEY SHED! I purchase two different makes of microfiber towels that clear stated "non shedding, lint free" on the package. One of them for "black colored vehicles".

One of the towels was Microtech's, "Microtech Platinum XL dark gray microfiber towel". After just a few minutes of detailing and wiping down the car.......the towel SHED a very fine microfiber grain that was clearly visible on the black clear coat....all over it. The towel that stated "for BLACK painted vehicles, shed badly as well. Sure, its easily blown off, but the FACT the fiber is blown all over the car and in the engine bay, did nothing but create a hassle for me. They print "non shedding, lint free" on their package is what bothers me. It's garbage!

A great towel....possibly, for light colored vehicles but not for a "every blemish shows black car".

Until a detail towel proves itself to me.....I'm staying with terry!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non Shedding, Lint Fee detail towels? DISAPPOINTED!

You need to wash microfiber towels before use, preferably in a dedicated microfiber detergent. Should be no issues after that.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I always pre wash MF towels to make sure that any factory dust, dirt and lint is removed. I have a lot of success with Poorboys DMTs or Euro Shag plush MF towels.

Post Thanks / Like

What they said. And I personally wouldn't touch my black car with a terry towel in a million years. I like the AG Gold Plush MF Towels for mine, been very happy with them, no linting.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paulmichael View Post
    Morning Folks,

I am a new member of the Autogeekonline community and wanted to share a few recent experiences with "non shedding, lint free" microfiber detail towels.

I certainly not a kid, but rather a 61 year old man who has built and owned many BLACK colored vehicles, many of them show quality vehicles. I recently completing a Raven BLACK, 1955 Ford Thunderbird Pro Touring vehicle that took 2 long years to complete. It was built to be driven and to different than any other 55 on the road.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to receive an invitation to display our Thunderbird at the Harrisburg, PA Motorama car show this his past weekend. For 4 days, I completed a 6 step, wet sanding and buffing exercise on this car and I have admit, it looked spectacular and showed extremely well. The fact I needed a non shedding or a lint free detail towel was evident and important to me.

For 40 years, I've used "quality woven, ultra soft" terry towels for ALL detailing and have been very successful using them, but with any towel you have to be careful picking up granular dust and dirt.

I've been hearing and seeing many people using these fabulous microfiber towels, so I decided to change my way of thinking and try these new revolutionary towels! Maybe they really work? Maybe they won't shed as advertised? Well I'm here to tell you, THEY SHED! I purchase two different makes of microfiber towels that clear stated "non shedding, lint free" on the package. One of them for "black colored vehicles".

One of the towels was Microtech's, "Microtech Platinum XL dark gray microfiber towel". After just a few minutes of detailing and wiping down the car.......the towel SHED a very fine microfiber grain that was clearly visible on the black clear coat....all over it. The towel that stated "for BLACK painted vehicles, shed badly as well. Sure, its easily blown off, but the FACT the fiber is blown all over the car and in the engine bay, did nothing but create a hassle for me. They print "non shedding, lint free" on their package is what bothers me. It's garbage!

A great towel....possibly, for light colored vehicles but not for a "every blemish shows black car".

Until a detail towel proves itself to me.....I'm staying with terry!!
    Welcome to the site.

I grew up in the Harrisburg PA area and still live there.

I've talked to a lot of the older generation that swear by cotton terry towels. I have found Microfiber towels to be very hit or miss for quality and non-shedding.

I would honestly be interested in a local source for the ultra soft cotton terry towels that you use.

You from the Harrisburg area?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Along the same lines, what do you guys like to use for wash mitts and/or sponges? There is just so much to choose from these days. I wash at least once a week. The microfiber mitts really seem to "grab" onto the surface. I would prefer something that glides a bit while washing.

Post Thanks / Like

I would NEVER touch any car's paint with a terry towel.

You need to wash the MF towels before use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paulmichael View Post

One of the towels was Microtech's, "Microtech Platinum XL dark gray microfiber towel". After just a few minutes of detailing and wiping down the car.......the towel SHED a very fine microfiber grain that was clearly visible on the black clear coat....all over it. The towel that stated "for BLACK painted vehicles, shed badly as well.
    It doesn't sound like you bought those towels from Autogeek. Microfiber towels vary in quality, and price is not always an indicator. As mentioned, washing may help to reduce fiber shedding, but not always.

A flat-weave towel (or waffle weave, neither of which may be appropriate for what you are doing) usually leaves the least lint, here's one :Sonus Der Wunder Microfiber Polishing Towels, wax removal cloths, car polish towels, detailing towels (I think, I haven't bought any of those for a long time and they may have changed).

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek. We would love to see some pictures of your Thunderbird.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

A couple items I have found over the years that can produce or reduce linting from MF towels:

1. MF towels should be stored, used, and laundered outside of all other laundry and towels.

2. Those dryer balls reduce static which seems to hold/trap lint and other items in the MF towels.

3. MF specific soap and white vinegar in the wash/rinse really seems the best combo to clean them properly and keep them absorbent.

4. A quick hard shake/snap before use often releases any lint in the towel and readies it for use.

Scott

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast