autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: carnauba wax

Post Thanks / Like

carnauba wax

A few weeks ago I used a carnauba wax on my truck for the first time. A black tundra. The s100 was supposed to be for my bike, also black. However since I ordered it through AGO around the holiday I could not help my self and used it on my truck when we had a decent day here in the north east. It's the first time I have used a carnauba wax and I love the depth and warmth it gave the paint.
    Im wondering if the more expensive carnauba waxes would make my truck look even better?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: carnauba wax

Its all in the prep work. You might see a very slight difference, but you will have to decide if its worth the $$. Durability is/could be a issue for you also.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Oh!! You are going to get a lot of different opinions on this. However, prep work is 95% of the work. The other 5% is where IMO the arguments begin. IMO, if you use great carnauba wax; YOU CAN tell the difference of wet look, warmth and depth.

The problem is to most people they probably could not tell. To me I could see the difference real easy. It is good to know that you can tell too!! I guess I am not that much of a Noob! LOL

As for the carnauba waxes, I use a carnauba based wax (mostly paste but have a couple of liquid waxes too) only. I tried the "HYBRID" Waxes (many of them) and they lost some depth and warmth to my ride so I gave them all away.

As for a great wax to use, AGO sells an awesome selection. As for costs it will depend on you and your budget. I like Pinnacle Souveran, any Dodo Juice Wax (designed for dark color cars), Natty's Red, Blackfire Midnight Sun, Sonax 100% Pure Carnauba, P21S 100% Carnauba, any of the SON1C waxes Drew makes. IMO you can't go wrong with any of these waxes...period.

As for the brands not carried by AGO are a bunch too!! So far I like Vics Red and Polish Angel Jubilee wax. I could go on and on and you would die from boredom!!!...

You will get comments regarding durability issues and that will depend on you.

I like applying a sealant then top it off with a wax.....try that and you will even notice more of a difference for the better and durability issues will be NO MORE!!! I have a Black Ride too and IMO Black is the toughest color to take care of and the easiest color to tell if it needs correcting. It is also the best looking color if you do it right!! Now I know I am gonna cause a ruckus, however, it will be all good!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Oh Oh!! You are going to get a lot of different opinions on this. However, prep work is 95% of the work. The other 5% is where IMO the arguments begin. IMO, if you use great carnauba wax; YOU CAN tell the difference of wet look, warmth and depth.

The problem is to most people they probably could not tell. To me I could see the difference real easy. It is good to know that you can tell too!! I guess I am not that much of a Noob! LOL

As for the carnauba waxes, I use a carnauba based wax (mostly paste but have a couple of liquid waxes too) only. I tried the "HYBRID" Waxes (many of them) and they lost some depth and warmth to my ride so I gave them all away.

As for a great wax to use, AGO sells an awesome selection. As for costs it will depend on you and your budget. I like Pinnacle Souveran, any Dodo Juice Wax (designed for dark color cars), Natty's Red, Blackfire Midnight Sun, Sonax 100% Pure Carnauba, P21S 100% Carnauba, any of the SON1C waxes Drew makes. IMO you can't go wrong with any of these waxes...period.

As for the brands not carried by AGO are a bunch too!! So far I like Vics Red and Polish Angel Jubilee wax. I could go on and on and you would die from boredom!!!...

You will get comments regarding durability issues and that will depend on you.

I like applying a sealant then top it off with a wax.....try that and you will even notice more of a difference for the better and durability issues will be NO MORE!!! I have a Black Ride too and IMO Black is the toughest color to take care of and the easiest color to tell if it needs correcting. It is also the best looking color if you do it right!! Now I know I am gonna cause a ruckus, however, it will be all good!!
    can u apply wax right after putting on a sealant or is is best to wait a certain period of time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetglide12 View Post
    It's the first time I have used a carnauba wax and I love the depth and warmth it gave the paint.
    Even though S100 Carnauba Wax is a "blended Wax"
    (more often, than not, referred to as a "Hybrid Wax")...

It is still one of my favorites!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post
    can u apply wax right after putting on a sealant or is is best to wait a certain period of time?
    I usually put on a wax about 15 minutes to 1/2 hr after a sealant. Some may disagree and say wait longer or for a "curing time", but till this day I have not had any issues with that.

You could always do the finger test swipe with a sealant and if it comes off real easy that is usually my sign it is ready for wax. I also do the finger swipe test with a wax to know when you can start removing the wax with a good MF Towel.

ALL FUN STUFF for me.
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Even though S100 Carnauba Wax is a "blended Wax"
    (more often, than not, referred to as a "Hybrid Wax")...

It is still one of my favorites!

Bob
    Cool to know. Never used it probably will never either!!!....LOL Got too many carnauba waxes as it stands!

But if you say it is a good "Hybrid" wax then usually it is!
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

"Cure time" should be noted on the product itself whether it be a wax or a sealant.

Carnuba and other natural waxes break down faster than synthetic waxes. That's not an opinion, that is a fact. One thing I talk to my customers about is if their car is garaged, daily driven, weekend warrior, exposed to the elements over long preiods of time etc... Based on that info I can help them make an informed decision. Generally speaking if the car is DD, not garaged and or is exposed to the elements I discourage using carnuba based on the fact that longevity is an issue. Some don't mind waxing their cars every 3-4 weeks. Some just want it sealed and to forget about it for a few months. Lot's of factors in the decision making process. There is no real "one size fits all" answer.
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Post Thanks / Like

For the money you can't beat this combo!

BLACKFIRE Wet-Ice Over Fire Combo

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL