autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fix It Again Tony?

What about Found On Road Dead?

To think something is no good because it's made in Italy is kinda nuts. Whatta bout pizza and meatballs?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PRE-ORDER: Rupes LHR 12E Duetto & LHR 75E Mini Polishers!

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    That might be one of the silliest posts in years..

Think Ferrari and Lamborghini
    Maserati for instance. Used to have a customer that drove a bi-turbo. For the 3 years she owned it she'd call me 4~5 times a year to tow it to the dealership. Yes, the Ferrari dealership. Always broken down with one thing or another, and a total money pit. But hey... it was red, and turned heads.

Quote Originally Posted by slimnib View Post
    First of all an Lamborghini is a German car made in Italy under German Supervision.
    2nd a Ferrari maybe very expensive, very good looking, and very fast. but is not very reliable.

Owners general put on 2000-3000 miles a year on them . If they gave Ferrari's heavy use like a daily user they would cost thousands in maintenance and repairs.

I stick by my statement, that Italian made products are not very reliable and would not buy one for heavy commercial use. You tell me the name of Italian made heavy machinery. Swiss and German from Europe.

But you my friend are welcome to purchase what you like, it is your money. Italian suits are lovely. But do not where an Italian made leather jacket every day.
    Check this out from a Ferrari forum: Was posted back in 2011. (Note this was not my post.)

I'd still welcome a Rupes machine though. Cars they are not.

My calculations for actual ownership cost of a $130k F430
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First, let me say that I am not trying to make buying a Ferrari only about the financials. This is just a fun post to share some useful info I've collected from the threads here, and an opportunity for others to correct any mistaken assumptions on my part. I realize buying a Ferrari is about emotions, but your $ needs to be able to support it still. The following is a writeup for my estimations on the cost of owning a 2005/2006 F430 F1, purchased now with cash at $130k with 8k existing miles.

Basics/Estimations:
    Purchase Price: $130k
    Sales Tax (7%): $9,100 one time cost (adjust as needed for you)
    Annual Miles Driven: 4,000 annual, for 5 years = 20,000. (This estimation does not include expenses/maintenance associated with track use; If you are concerned about financials and want to track a car, then buy a Porsche, not a Ferrari (or better, buy both!)).

5 year holding period depreciation: Sale with 28k miles in 2016 = $50k estimated depreciation, sale at $80k. This is just a rough guess based on where a current 11 year old (2000) 360 is priced.

Loan Costs: Pay in cash, so none here. If you finance/lease, remember to add these in.
    Annual registration fees: None for me in Ohio, but if you are in CA or another state that does this, I think it could be as high as $2k annually, which would add over $10k to your 5 year cost. Ouch.

Maintenance:
    Clutch: Est. life of 15k miles, one replacement needed at $6,500
    Tires: Est. life of 12,000 miles, two full replacements over ownership costing $3,000
    Annual Service/fluids: Oil/filter and brake fluid: Est. $1,000 annual, perhaps can do DIY if so inclined for $300. Total = $5,000 over 5 years.

Front Brake pads (steel brakes, NOT CCB): Not too sure about this, but I thought I've seen that front pads can be done for $1k? If so, probably need at least new front pads over course of ownership.

Belts: F430 is chain driven, so no cost here (compared to $3k per 3 years for 360 I think; In the big picture not that big of a deal when comparing the two models).

Misc annual maintenance: $400 annually planned, $2,000 cost over 5 years - This includes things like power window motors, alignment, ect.

Repairs:
    *I'm not including any of the repairs costs in the cost of ownership as they cannot be planned for. You may have no problem, or you may have a significant one, but a $15k side fund for repairs is advised.

F1 Pump: Not common problem, but I've seen numbers from $3.5k to $11k depending on the acutators as well.

Full Brake or Rotor Replacement: For street driving, I've read all you really need is front pads. While CCM brakes seem to cost about $35,000 for all four corners, I think steel is perhaps $7k? I'm not too sure about the details here, but this will mostly depend on if you track the car (in which case maintenance will be much higher too).
    What else to add here as considerations of possible/likely repairs during 5 years of ownership?

Insurance:

Assuming this is your 3rd car with 4k miles driven annually: $750 annual - total over 5 years = $3,750 . This could be higher for some driver's, but it is what Geico quoted me.

Fuel:
    20,000 miles at an average of (hopefully!) $4 per gallon at 15mpg average = $5,333 over 5 years.

Opportunity Cost:
    This isn't going to be included in the total either, since it varies so much from person to person, but is still a significant financial impact considering the six figure price tag. In fact, opportunity cost is perhaps the main reason I personally am likely to hold off on buying until next spring, considering I have a extremely high opportunity cost of capital right now which will likely be much lower next year.

Total:
    In total, the costs over the course of 5 years, ignoring unexpected repairs and opportunity cost of your money, as well as ignoring loan/lease costs and annual registration fees if your state requires this, total: $50k (depreciation) + $9.1k (sales tax) + $6.5k (clutch) + $3k (2 sets tires) + $5k (annual service) + $1k (front brake pads) + Misc. maintenance ($2k) + $3,750 (insurance) + $5.3k fuel = $85,650.

So $85,650 of actual costs to own a $130k F430 for 5 years with 4k annual miles driven is my estimation. Again, keep in mind you should have an extra $15k fund for potential major repairs, but these seem to be rare on the F430 model. Note also that at only 5% return on your cash, opportunity cost of $130k over 5 years would add over $32,500 to your real cost.

This might hurt then: 20k miles driven at $84,350 cost = ~$4.25 per mile. Assuming my numbers are close, and how this ignores opportunity cost and major repairs, and is on a 6 year old Ferrari, I think the "$1 per mile ownership cost" is way off. So, driving 15 miles each way to dinner; that'll cost you $127.50 before you pay for your dinner. Of course, this also ignores the "artwork value" of staring in awe of your Ferrari while parked.

I look forward to comments, and will be happy to tweak things if my assumptions are mistaken or I've left out major items. I hope this gives a decent picture to those wondering if "I can afford a F430." Plan on $85k-$120k of overall costs including repairs/opportunity cost right now. Personally, I think its definitely worth it, and am just waiting for my own optimal timing to match up, but in no case do I think I'll be able to wait longer than next spring.

Then check this thread, called Can you afford $10.27 per Mile? This dude was HAMMERED by his beautiful sexy beast.

Post Thanks / Like

You know the old saying " If you have to ask how much you can't afford it anyway "
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Compare to Bugatti Veyron
    Cost: $2,250,000
    Delivery charge: $51,000
    German engineered
    French manufactured
    Italian origin (?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    Already got my 75 no kit lol
    WHATTTT!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I would have kept this under wraps for awhile. LOL

Bob
    i think i would have kept quiet about that too ^ lol

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad to say this confirms that I am out until they are available without the kit of crap I don't need or want.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen these machines in action at SEMA and even played with the 12E Duetto. They are fantastic. I can totally understand not wanting to buy them in kit form with the extra $$. Hey if they will be available first quarter of 2014 than look at this way. January 1st is only 6 weeks away. So the wait won't be all that long to buy the new Rupes machines. I want one but will wait till early next year when the machines are available without the kits.

Some pic's from SEMA at the Rupes and AutoGeek booths.

Post Thanks / Like

PRE-ORDER: Rupes LHR 12E Duetto & LHR 75E Mini Polishers!

Looks for the Rupes machines to be sold individually in January/February of next yer.

They want to push the "system" approach. I don't think RUPES understands the US market, hence, the bad marketing strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Rupes 3" at SEMA. At the right price I can see someone getting one. But honestly my PE14 with a 2-7/8" backing plate will correct better and operate smoother than this all day long. If you are comfortable with a rotary there should be absolutely no reason to even think about getting this overpriced machine. And for a 3" machine it sure as heck is bulky and heavy if you ever touched it.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Fix It Again Tony?

What about Found On Road Dead?

To think something is no good because it's made in Italy is kinda nuts. Whatta bout pizza and meatballs?
    Found On Road Dead? I thought that was Freaking Old Rebuilt Dodge!

Quote Originally Posted by hamlyn View Post
    Compare to Bugatti Veyron
    Cost: $2,250,000
    Delivery charge: $51,000
    German engineered
    French manufactured
    Italian origin (?)
    Now THAT is funny!

Just imagine, where in the world do you even GO for parts? Service?

And that whole thing of running out of gas in 12 minutes might get in the way. Again....

Did you realize that they sued Top Gear for claiming that? Either way, it gets somewhere between 2 & 3 mpg at top speed, that's somewhere from 54 to 78 miles. Not fast enough or far enough to outrun the Motorola in the Popo cars fur' sure.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast