autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mike Phillips

Re: More DP Headlight Restoration Before/After Photos

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post

When using an aggressive pad and rotary action, won't that leave behind swirls/holograms?
    I've buffed out so many headlights with a rotary buffer, wool pad and compound and if it did leave swirls, the surface area is so small you would really have to look and CARE to see them.

But if a person wants to make sure their headlights are swirl-free, or hologram free then simply jewel them with a fine cut polish and a jeweling pad on your rotary buffer or go back over them with a dual action polisher.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My problem with polishing fogged headlamps is that they tend to fog up quickly after they are polished. A more complicated but more permanent cure is to remove the fog with some 2000 grit wet paper then spray clear urethane on the lenses. We've had several on the road for years and they still look like new. The complications are the lamps should be removed so that overspray doesn't damage the vehicle and you need a decent small spray gun and decent urethane clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Used the cordless drill this time with the Wolfgang headlight kit and ended up with perfectly clear and smooth lens covers. Even did the tail lights, they were clear but coarse to the touch. Coated them with the Wolfgang coating. A week later the Opti coat kit showed up. I used some Erasure to clean the coating off then applied the Opti coat. There is a 2013 in my lot and the lenses are at least as clear as new and have a better shine. Now I'm just worried if the erasure removed the Wolfgang coating or if I should have polished it off before the Opti coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    Used the cordless drill this time with the Wolfgang headlight kit and ended up with perfectly clear and smooth lens covers. Even did the tail lights, they were clear but coarse to the touch. Coated them with the Wolfgang coating. A week later the Opti coat kit showed up. I used some Erasure to clean the coating off then applied the Opti coat. There is a 2013 in my lot and the lenses are at least as clear as new and have a better shine. Now I'm just worried if the erasure removed the Wolfgang coating or if I should have polished it off before the Opti coat.
    Should have polished before opti-coat, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Will add it to the "spring cleaning" list.
    I'm going to opti coat the paint then and see how it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worthy product indeed. On my wish list for next order.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    If Opti-Coat/Lens doesn't hold up, polish the lens again using a soft foam finishing pad w/DP All In One Headlight Restoring Polish, give it a wipe down using a 15% solution of IPA, and re-apply the Opti-Coat/Lens.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345