autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber Compound - Review

Vehicle Description
    Flat black 2013 Mercedes GLK DD living outside 24/7 and has never been washed in 6 mos. Surprisingly the vehicle was defect & swirl free but as you would imagine, loaded with containments. The surface showed stains throughout and was extremely rough to the touch.

Products Used
    The new Wolfgang Uber Compound, WG Finishing Glaze and WG Fuzion. Nanoskin 6" disk and Glide lubricant. Gold Jr MF towels for the first wipe and a blue edgeless cobra mf for the final wipe. (Super Soft Deluxe Blue Microfiber Towels, microfiber detailing towels, buffing towels, micro fiber towel, detail cloth)

Technique
    Waterless washed the vehicle to start. Using Glide as my clay lube, went directly to the 6" nanoskin on the Flex with a speed setting of 4. Once the contaminants were removed, used WG Uber Compound, six section passes via the Flex 3401 with a 5" white hybrid pad - speed set to 6. Second step done with WG Finishing Glaze & 5" yellow hybrid pad, three section passes at speed 5 and three passes at speed 3.

Results
    A flawless finish was achieved with minimal effort. The workability was great and there was no dusting whatsoever. The polishes were easy to buff off even in the high humidity of south Florida. IMO, the Uber Compound worked beautifully and I could've easily avoided the second step - it finished down that nicely with the white hybrid pad. Since I was going for perfect I didn't hesitate but I could easily argue that the Finishing Glaze was not required. There was some micro marring visible from using the Uber Compound but only with the Brinkman shining overhead; in other words, you needed to look for it. (remember that's on flat black paint.) Depending on the vehicle, paint and desired final outcome, a second step could easily be avoided-IMO the Uber Compound finished down like a fine grade polish.

Comparable Products
    Very similar to Menzerna FG400 and SF4000.

Opinion
    I would like to strongly recommend this product(s) as it's a welcome addition to the WG lineup. Unfortunately I was unable to see how it cuts on paint with bad swirls & scratches, because sadly my test vehicle was in better condition than I was expecting. I really liked the visual feedback during application - you could easily see the product turn translucent and therefore tell when it needed to be wiped off. (funny how that seems to always be six section passes) After the second step the paint was literally in perfect condition and the Fuzion (applied by hand) put the whole thing over the top. Honestly with the addition of the Uber Compound, I believe that the Wolfgang lineup belongs on the "top shelf" alongside with the best of the best.

Pictures

Products tested

"before pic"

notice the staining & general poor paint condition

Uber Compound applied via the Flex - 6 section passes

paint condition after Uber Compound was applied and buffed out over the entire hood.

paint condition after WG Finishing Glaze was applied and buffed out over the entire hood.

Fuzion applied by hand

Final beauty shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Uber Compound - Review

Looks great but I would really like to see how this Uber Compound handles a swirled up mess with a lower end DA, using both foam and MF pads.

Post Thanks / Like

It was my hope to deliver on that request "unfortunately" my test vehicle was in better shape than I had anticipated. I believe Mike Phillips review has a pretty hammered 3 series and from the pix, it worked extremely well. FWIW, I want to to say that I've never been able to truly get "perfect" before and this WG duo delivered that.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review Stuart.

My favorite quote:
    A flawless finish was achieved with minimal effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review.

Looking forward to adding this to my arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

I know you used Über Compound because you wanted to do a review but...you used a compound on a vehicle that "..was defect & swirl free..."? That was a waste of clear coat...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine comes this week 😃

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMM View Post
    I know you used Über Compound because you wanted to do a review but...you used a compound on a vehicle that "..was defect & swirl free..."? That was a waste of clear coat...
    The car had literally never been detailed and was completely ignored. The staining was awful and felt like coarse sandpaper. Also note I used a white pad and frankly the once a year that I help my friend out, I'm not worried about her clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review! I will be posting one of something completely trashed once I get mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast