autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mother's Mini PowerBall Review

My Honda VTX has cast aluminum rims. They’ve been nothing but a pain to try to make look good. I like the style so instead of replacing them I’ve recently considered getting them chromed or powder coated. I tried to use DG 831. This product removed the oxidation on my rims but also left behind streaks. I followed the instructions but still got streaking. Then I saw that AG started carrying the Mothers PowerBall so I thought what the heck. I got a Mini PowerBall, Mothers Billet Metal Polish and went to work. I know the rims are aluminum but research on my bike forum showed that the best results came from using the billet polish.

Out of the Box – Easy enough to attach the PowerBall to the extension using a 10 mm wrench. Put it on the drill and its go time.

Mothers Mini PowerBall – this thing worked wonders on my rims. It was easy to use and I could reach into places where my hand wouldn’t fit. I had to hold on to the extension and guide it where I wanted it to go. It can get tricky and kinda hoppy so I held on tight.

Billet Metal Polish – this stuff did its job. It turned the dull rims into shiny rims. I was very pleased with this product. All I had to do was buff it off.

Hindsight is 20/20 – The front rim went really well. Both sides shined up nicely and the Mini PowerBall held up well. The back rim was another story. By now the PowerBall was getting loaded with the polish and kind of junky. It was time to flip it over. For the life of me I couldn’t unscrew the PowerBall off the extension. I tried all different ways to unscrew it but it wouldn’t budge. So I kept going on the back rim. As time went by pieces of the PowerBall were strewn across my garage floor. I guess I’m kinda stubborn (understatement?) because I just kept going. I got through the second rim and I think it looks good but I know it can look better.

Bottom Line – I liked how the Mini PowerBall worked and that it could reach into places my hand can’t reach. It’s much easier than trying to hand polish. Trust me I’ve tried this too many times. I wasn’t happy that I couldn’t flip the Mini PowerBall. Actually I was kinda pissed that it wouldn’t come unscrewed. It probably wouldn’t have started flinging pieces around my garage if I had been able to flip it. But in the end I have to say that despite the problems that I encountered I am going to get a replacement Mini PowerBall and try it again. Now if I could only get the damn thing to come off the extension!

Before

Afters

Last edited by AL417; 05-26-2008 at 06:00 AM.
    "Some things are better left unsaid."

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Al. Try using a vise grip on the extention and the 10mm wrench on the pb shaft. Guess alot of torque was applied while polishing. This should work, just don't apply too much pressure to the extension, just enough to keep it from spinning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up.

I enjoy the power ball to, great on rims and as you say, hard to reach places (no more scratched hands)

Did it brake apart?
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truls
    Great write up.

I enjoy the power ball to, great on rims and as you say, hard to reach places (no more scratched hands)

Did it brake apart?
    Yes it started to fall apart. But I think if I had been able to reverse the PowerBall it would've been OK. Scratches would be good, I usually end up with scrapes and bloody knuckles. Not this time.
    Thanks for the compliment.
    "Some things are better left unsaid."

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, very nice review! Wheels are looking sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW...real nice improvement in the wheels..those spots just disappeared...and shine nice now....very nice job...

AL

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding review, you done good. I love all my power ball, a must have detail tool. Your work is always perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job. If I did not have one already I would think about buying one. Good results! I really like my mini.
    Last edited by trl2112; 06-06-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Job! Looks like new AL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast