autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Optimum Coatings (Opti-Lens, Opti-Glass) In Stock!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post

Ok, that made me LOL. People at my office now wonder (more) what is wrong with me...

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

waiting on the next sale for this stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Im also interested in an estimation on how many lenses can be treated with Opti-Lens per syringe.. anyone?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone going to DF would like to spilt the Opti lens coating to use while we are at the show??

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering how many pairs of headlights and how much glass each syringe will do as well?

Also, I believe I heard to use regular Opti-Coat for your side glass and Opti-Glass only for the front windshield?

Interesting that regular Opti-Coat is 20cc while opti-glass is a whopping 60cc!!
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like

In an earlier thread I read that 10cc Opti-Lens would seal 5-10 sets of headlights, depending on how thick it was applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Friends

Optimum is my favorite product line, but US$80 seems mighty steep for a glass coating.

How many windshields will 60cc do?

I just ordered a six-pack of Aquapel, so I may not get to try this new glass coating from Optimum for another year or so.

(Aquapel was very difficult for my inexperienced self to apply, but it has worked extremely well. I put it on last June and it's still there.)
    — Jaddie, Max's proud chauffeur
    2012 Honda Odyssey & 2016 Ford Escape

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRXINXS View Post
    I am wondering how many pairs of headlights and how much glass each syringe will do as well?

Also, I believe I heard to use regular Opti-Coat for your side glass and Opti-Glass only for the front windshield?

Interesting that regular Opti-Coat is 20cc while opti-glass is a whopping 60cc!!
    Opti-Coat is different that Opti-Glass including the delivery method and viscosity. Opti-Glass is in a small sprayer that is like shrunken Opti-Seal bottle and it is metered freely vs. the control you have with a syringe. it feels much thinner than Opti-Coat but i don't know if that is actually the case.

Dan K is correct in the volume of lights you can do per Opti-Lens syringe as per info Dr. G relayed. when Dr. G says that it depends on how thick it is applied, he means via layering - you can reliably layer Opti-Lens.

Opti-Coat offers a thicker film build than Opti-Glass, so therefore it is a better choice for windows that aren't your windscreen. And you don't need the impact resistance that Opti-Glass provides on the other windows nearly as much as you need it up front. Opti-Coat is much more vulnerable to abrasion vs. Opti-Glass and more likely to cause clarity issues/distortion if applied improperly which is a liability when you are talking about forward windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    Dear Friends

Optimum is my favorite product line, but US$80 seems mighty steep for a glass coating.

How many windshields will 60cc do?

I just ordered a six-pack of Aquapel, so I may not get to try this new glass coating from Optimum for another year or so.

(Aquapel was very difficult for my inexperienced self to apply, but it has worked extremely well. I put it on last June and it's still there.)
    i can't say for sure, but i just did the windscreen of my C 63 with Opti-Glass and used very little; i can't quantify it but it was negligible in terms of how much the level changed in the little bottle. i would imagine you can use it on A LOT of windows.

another thing people need to keep in mind is the function of his coating - it not affected by abrasion like other coatings can be, so it is able to survive several years of road wash, wiper action, etc., which is unheard of for windshield treatments. and...most importantly...it offers impact and scratch resistance. that is a HUGE feature.
    Last edited by builthatch; 03-14-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    Dan K is correct in the volume of lights you can do per Opti-Lens syringe as per info Dr. G relayed. when Dr. G says that it depends on how thick it is applied, he means via layering - you can reliably layer Opti-Lens.
    Oh no...this is one of those can-of-worms statements. So if you can layer it, do you gain anything by layering it, SHOULD you layer it, etc. I think we've been round and round this topic with Opti-Coat 2.0 vs. Opti-Coat Pro, that 2.0 is permanent, you could layer it but why would you want to, then it became clear that the Pro version had a thicker film build and that was desirable, etc.

The Opti-Lens description here at AG says "ensures your vehicle’s headlights retain optimum clarity throughout the lifespan of the vehicle." If that's what you get from one "layer", why would you do more? I really don't ask these questions to argue or nit-pick, I just want to know if I'm applying Opti-Lens whether I need to plan to do a second or third application in order to achieve that "lifetime" protection, or if this is going to wind up like Opti-Coat 2.0 that after a few years you'll have wash swirls, etc. you'll have to polish, and that will remove the coating so you have to reapply.

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    Opti-Coat offers a thicker film build than Opti-Glass, so therefore it is a better choice for windows that aren't your windscreen. Another thing people need to keep in mind is the function of Opti-Glass - it's not affected by abrasion like other coatings can be, so it is able to survive several years of road wash, wiper action, etc., which is unheard of for windshield treatments. and...most importantly...it offers impact and scratch resistance. that is a HUGE feature.
    It sounds like you're talking about Opti-Glass Pro, which lasts up to 3 years, rather than the product AG is selling, Opti-Glass, which lasts up to 1 year. I had a hard enough time understanding how Opti-Glass could protect against impacts, but now even harder if you're saying it's actually thinner than Opti-Coat. It's also been stated that Opti-Glass is not permanent like Opti-Coat and Opti-Lens...hard to imagine a coating that isn't permanent and is thinner but is not affected by abrasion.

Here's to hoping that Dr. G does an hour seminar on all his coatings at Detail Fest and it's on the live feed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast