autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_Snooze View Post
    07 Z-Oh-06, do you use the Tornador black for interior?
    I've never used it, bud. The CFM requirement is too much for such a little tool!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    There seems to be a LOT of misinformation about this tool and air compressors in general. I compiled a list of quotes on another thread of MANY people that have this tool and how they worked around the CFM requirements. Im going to try my best to explain a few things and help some people out.

There are different variables with this set up and they all are not constant. You have PSI. The tool requires 90PSI to operate. Not more, not less. No problem. Most compressors, even pancake ones have a 125 or higher PSI rating. The tool consumes 9.3 (I think) cubic feet of air per minute. For this purpose lets just say 9.3. So what does that mean? That means that if I stand there with the tornador black and just hold the trigger forever that it will use up 9.3 cubic feet of air every minute while blowing 90psi. If I have a 9.3 cubic foot tank it will take one minute before I lose that 90psi and I have to let the tank refill. If I have a compressor that is only rated at 4.5 cfm at 90 psi (the tank is still 9.3) that means it will only blow 90psi for 30 seconds before the compressor kicks back on and I have to refill. So what if I have a 4.5cfm at 90psi compressor with a 10 gallon tank? well Ill get a few minutes or more of sustained pressure before Im empty and the tanks has to refill. Again thats if Im just holding the trigger down forever. The tool still works.

Having a compressor that blows 90psi at 10cfm means basically that I can stand there till the end of time holding the trigger and I will never lose power or have down time while using this tool. The compressor will kick on every now and then depending on the size of the tank but I will NOT lose power.

We dont use this tool "always on" so while you are wiping or whatever the compressor will be refilling your tank. You can get a compressor with at LEAST a 10 gal tank and have a rating of 4.5 CFM and you will be able to use this tool the way its intended just fine.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tornador black! Cant wait!

That is a excellent explanation in laymens terms that most anyone thinking about a purchase of a tornador can understand. Good post Kris. A lot of people aren't thinking that you don't turn this unit on and leave it running the whole time that you are cleaning. I saw their demo at SEMA and this is on my current wish list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    That is a excellent explanation in laymens terms that most anyone thinking about a purchase of a tornador can understand. Good post Kris. A lot of people aren't thinking that you don't turn this unit on and leave it running the whole time that you are cleaning. I saw their demo at SEMA and this is on my current wish list.
    Thanks! Well I brought it to work and hooked a regulator up to an SCBA bottle and set it at 90psi. It took 4-5 minutes of continued use to run it down. Can't wait till my compressor gets here.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

THANK YOU KRIS!!!!!!! Finally someone answered the question that needed to be answered in everyday verbage. I am going to get t Ingersol Rand w/20 gal tank to make sure it will not only work for this tool, but others that need air and it is the best one made out there. I appreciate your taking the time to answer the question. I believe what made it even more confusing is that..the new model was made to be "portable compressor" friendly. What size compressor are you getting? and what brand/cfm?

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to air compressors direct and chose a smaller 15 gallon 1.5hp 150psi 5cfm@90psi compressor. I have to be able to lift this beast out of my vehicle! It was on sale and free shipping for 219.00. It was rated there second best seller. Made by speedway.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

kris, how heavy is your new compressor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_Snooze View Post
    kris, how heavy is your new compressor?
    Well the tracking number for fed ex has it at 70lbs. A bit bulky.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kris...I've got an X-girlfriend who is a quite a bit "bulk-ier"...and I cant lift her and throw her in the back of my truck either!

Post Thanks / Like

wow, 70lbs, for me, I will hate to load/unload that compressor onto a truck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast