autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Impression: Optimum Microfiber Polishing Pads

With chunks of foam still attached to the MF, It looks torn more than delaminated. What backing plate are you using. Of course, we recommend ours but that's only because some Velcro holds too tight and when you remove the pad from the plate you can pull the pad apart if not careful. The second photo seems to show a starting point for the tear. Could that have happened on a sharp edge, or the GG pad washer? Did you use a degreaser to clean that may have dissolved/weakened the glue? No other incident has been reported, so I'd really like more info.
    Last edited by Chris Thomas; 12-27-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't realize that there were two posts regarding the MF pads, but here is what I did...

As far as prepping the car - the car was clay barred with ziano prior to drying and taping up.

I started buffing it with Menz SIP/1500 and a brand new Optimum MF pad. There was very little correction that needed to be done. The reason I started with this step is because the car has already been cut with a wool pad before the car came in so thats why I chose to start with the mf polishing pad.

I used the makita buffer with LC-43-125WH Rotary 4 ¾ inch Flexible Backing Plate

I can show pics of the car, there really are no sharp corners that you have to dig into - I didn't have any problem with any of the thick foam pads I was using snagging any corners. Its almost like polishing a huge box. I had to paint the trim along the top of the car so I steered clear of the trim seeing as how I didnt want to have to re-do it.

The roof is where the pad came apart on the flat edge of the passengers side rear. I was not digging the pad into the ridges running down the roof of the car. On the drivers side (which I managed to finish before the pad failed) I passed right over the ridges without even hitting them with the mf pad bc I planned on getting them on the next step with the flex and the thicker lake country foam pad.

I did not have any problems with snagging the pad. I was fluffing it with the air hose every time I finished a small section. What I noticed is - If i wasn't constantly fluffing the pad, it was very hard to control the buffer.

Otherwise, as far as cleaning the pad - I spritzed it with a pad cleaner and used a small brush (bought from autogeek - a vinyl/leather brush with short bristles) to lightly agitate the fibers before I washed it in the grit guard pad washer. I washed it for about 25-30 seconds on slow speed and I did put a little pressure on the edges because after buffing for a while, it seemed as though the fibers would get matted together with a mixture of caramelized polish residue and perhaps whatever small amount of clear was being removed by the buffing process. I resorted to washing the pad because the build-up had gotten to the point where fluffing the pad was just not giving me enough time to finish a small section.

I did not peel the first pad off the backing plate until it failed. I know that this can be a problem if you are constantly putting the pad on and taking it off, but this was not the case.

The pad failed shortly after it was washed - within 2 sections. I washed it with a foam pad cleaner - the same one Ive been using for years on all my foam pads and never had a problem with. In fact I washed the MG MF pad with the same product and much more often (the maroon cutting disk).

After I washed the pad, I spun it dry first inside the pad washer by lifting it up off the washing grate. Then I took it out and ran it up to the highest speed on the makita, and then I felt it with my hand to make sure it was fairly dry to the touch and then I fluffed it up with the high compressed air.

Its not my first time buffing a car - Ive been buffing cars for a few months shy of 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone have a fix for the spray bottle? Mine shoots out chunks of product and not a nice uniform vapor like mist anymore after a few uses.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My observation when using the pad was that there was a combination of variables causing the pad failure - 1. the torque of the Makita, 2. the thickness of the foam layer, 3. the fibers laying flat (due to the motion of the orbital buffer) increasing surface tension, and 4. the SIP having more bite than an average polish.

The second pad was never washed and it was starting to peel away from the foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
    anyone have a fix for the spray bottle? Mine shoots out chunks of product and not a nice uniform vapor like mist anymore after a few uses.
    Clean the sprayer and see if that fixes it:

1. unscrew the tip and pull out the atomizer being careful not to drop the small spring as you remove it from the head.
    2. remove the pickup tube from the body.
    3. rinse clean all parts (brush if needed), then reassemble

If this doesn't restore performance, contact me for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmich325i View Post
    My observation when using the pad was that there was a combination of variables causing the pad failure - 1. the torque of the Makita, 2. the thickness of the foam layer, 3. the fibers laying flat (due to the motion of the orbital buffer) increasing surface tension, and 4. the SIP having more bite than an average polish.

The second pad was never washed and it was starting to peel away from the foam.
    Most pad cleaners are highly concetrated APC's so that may be our culprit. We recommend machine washing with mild detergent. Because they failed shortly after the cleaning...I'd bet the mix was too strong. MF is a fabric and is much easier to clean than porous foam.

Thank you for the details. They will help to determine if there is an issue or if this is an isolated incident. To date we've not had another breakdown in testing or from sales. Feel free to contact me about replacement or exchange for another Optimum item.
    Last edited by Chris Thomas; 12-27-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The second pad was never washed and it started to separate - it was pulling some of the foam with it. The detergent is diluted 1/5.

To be honest, I love the results of using a MF pad. For polishing I prefer the results of the MF disks. It cuts quick and safe, uses less product, reduces work time, and gives better results... If only there was a way to make them last it. I still have about 60 unused lake country foam pads of almost every variety and about 20 used ones ive been trying to wear out.
    Last edited by Cmich325i; 12-27-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cmich325i View Post
    The second pad was never washed and it started to separate - it was pulling some of the foam with it. The detergent is diluted 1/5.
    Well, I certainly apologize for the bad experience. My offer stands to contact me regarding a resolution.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

sure, i'll send you the pads if you want

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent!

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the polishing pad with Hyper polish but when used with Hyper compound, the pad becomes quite grabby no matter how much I fluff and clean the pad. Am I doing something wrong or is it a compatibility issue

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast