autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The DeWalt DWP849 Has Arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by cobraa View Post
    I don't understand the marketing behind this product, I think Dewalt fail. The hype is about ligthweight machine, yet powerful.

When you think about it, Makita is the king of the rotary, now Flex came out with something really ligth, quieter and with some rubber at the end of the head for better grip ( wise-move!).

To me, this dewalt look just like a makita and it's actually heavier, all they did is having a more powerful cord ? I would like to see better improvement than just a cord just my 3 cents! UNtil this, I'm sticking with makita. proven to last. I have mine for 3 years now.
    I agree. The stats don't impress me enough to bite. I love my makita. No reason to switch.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by premium View Post
    I agree. The stats don't impress me enough to bite. I love my makita. No reason to switch.
    So I didn't knock on woods right?? my makita died yesterday. I just bought the big brother X version with next day shipping. Very excited to see it. Should feel like the makita but with a heavy duty cords ( the makita cord is very bad!), more ergonomic with rubber? Nice added touch. Same weight. and M. Phillips commented that it is as quiet as the flex (VERY NICE!) and priced at a very fair price too.

I will let you guy because I must admit I was the first to bash this new product, now I bought it, let see!
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010
    Facebook ; WaxxonSpa |||| website ; www.waxxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraa View Post

So I didn't knock on woods right?? my makita died yesterday. I just bought the big brother X version with next day shipping. Very excited to see it. Should feel like the makita but with a heavy duty cords ( the makita cord is very bad!), more ergonomic with rubber? Nice added touch. Same weight. and M. Phillips commented that it is as quiet as the flex (VERY NICE!) and priced at a very fair price too.

I will let you guy because I must admit I was the first to bash this new product, now I bought it, let see!

I too purchased a new DWP849X for $175.00 shipped. I was considering purchasing either the Festool Shinex RAP150, Flex PE14-2 or the DWP849X. Ultimately I went with this unit. The price of the other two was too great, and I couldn't justify spending 200 extra bucks just too get a lighter machine. It'd be like paying 100 dollars to shave a pound off the unit.

The specs when compared with it's predecessor, and the Makita 9227c give this unit a clear edge. I really like the ergonomics, it felt really good in my hands when I played with a floor model at a store. Can't wait to get my unit in. I'll post a review as soon as I can.

Still haven't given up on the Flex, but I'd only get the unit if I could purchase it at wholesale cost (currently working out the kinks on a deal to do so. WINK.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Mejia View Post
    I too purchased a new DWP849X for $175.00 shipped. I was considering purchasing either the Festool Shinex RAP150, Flex PE14-2 or the DWP849X. Ultimately I went with this unit. The price of the other two was too great, and I couldn't justify spending 200 extra bucks just too get a lighter machine. It'd be like paying 100 dollars to shave a pound off the unit.

The specs when compared with it's predecessor, and the Makita 9227c give this unit a clear edge. I really like the ergonomics, it felt really good in my hands when I played with a floor model at a store. Can't wait to get my unit in. I'll post a review as soon as I can.

Still haven't given up on the Flex, but I'd only get the unit if I could purchase it at wholesale cost (currently working out the kinks on a deal to do so. WINK.)

Well if you do decide to buy the Flex, know this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Quality never costs money it makes money...
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    Well if you do decide to buy the Flex, know this:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek

True, but DeWalt is quality. Flex is great too, I have their 3403, and 3401. I just don't think that the PE14-2 is worth the markup. I would have no problem picking one up for the "right price." I'm not a fool, I know quality when I see it. But if I can purchase "quality" for a lower price I will.

Detailing is not my profession, I love it, but I have a career that keeps me really busy. Detailing provides me with some stress relief, and satisfaction, which is why I purchase so many detailing supplies. Part of the fun is trying out new things, and being a conscientious buyer allows me to stretch my money and buy more things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Mejia View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek

True, but DeWalt is quality.

Part of the fun is trying out new things, and being a conscientious buyer allows me to stretch my money and buy more things.

If you live in/near a major metro area, usually Dewalt store nearby. Great for warrenty and parts. IME.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that DeWalts are quality. I do some detailing and aluminum polishing on the side ( most of the polishing is done on semis, so alot of aluminum to do on them. ) Most polishers out there use DW849's.

You worry about wool from the buffing pads getting in there and messing it up?? Don't worry about it... When you are cutting aluminum and using a heavy cut rouge, you have aluminum oxide dust everywhere.... And aluminum oxide is one of the hardest substances next to a diamond. No screen is going to stop the motor from ingesting it. But, I have yet to hear of one dying... Maybe a brush change after years of use... But that's it. And when you are polishing , you basically are running the thing almost wide open for extended periods.

I might try an X just because of the upgrade in amps... It helps cut faster. But one of the great things about the original 849, that I am sure the new models have, is that if you have it running at say 2500 rpm and you start to bear down on it... It has circuitry on it to maintain the rpm instead of it just bogging down. In getting an even finish on doing aluminum, it's important that the rpm's stay consistent.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234