autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Product - Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

Yeah I think he's going for the same look that the clear bras do on the Z which is a line across the hood around the level of the top of the headlights. You might be able to get a clean line if you use the same tape I did a few weeks back, the 3M "edgeless" blue tape. The adhesive on it was a complete PITA though and I'll never use it again hehe.

Post Thanks / Like

What would happen if opti-coat was applied to a matte finish? OR, to old paint that has very little clear-coat left?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think OC would add shine to a matte finish

When I put OC on my aunt's matte plastic trim a little while ago it looked wet at first but once dry the plastic looked matte again
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if body/paint work is needed? Would you have to give special instructions to the body shop regarding it so they don't try to paint over it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Poliseal isn't very abrasive and it will fix high spots. If you have to recoat polish to a tape line then move the tapeline a quarter inch ontonthe unpolished part, then polish the over lap after it's cured (24 hours). Not difficult at all.
    I may have mentioned this before or maybe just a PM to Chris. I use 2 pieces of tape. One wide piece first then a narrower piece to overlap on to the paint by 1/4" or LESS. Polish up to the tape then remove thin piece (remove any adhesive)and apply OC. This gives you a nice thin line of overlap. Maybe this is too anal. Of course you can do as Chris said and just move the tape.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigez View Post
    What happens if body/paint work is needed? Would you have to give special instructions to the body shop regarding it so they don't try to paint over it?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    They're going to prep it until it's ready, anyway. Most likely they will scuff it, but if they don't they are going to prep it and make sure it's clean and find they can't and scuff it. If you're using a body shop that you don't trust to do good prep, it really doesn't matter what LSP/coating you have on, does it?

Post Thanks / Like

Way back in the 80's, I used Liquid Glass extensively on a car of mine. It got vandalized and needed new paint. The shop, which was supposed to be the best in the city, "prepped" it and shot the paint. Well, it all simply dripped off and they ended up with a huge mess. I told them beforehand what I had done and they assured me they knew how to deal with it - "Yeah,yeah, we pros know what we are doing.". Needless to say, they had a few questions about what I had used after this little incident. Apparently the liquid glass did build up significantly. I suspect OC 2.0 would have the same result.

Post Thanks / Like

Your body shop is going to sand right through it. If they don't or can't you've got bigger issues and should be looking for another shop.
    2009 Yamaha FZR Waverunner 1812cc supercharged 82 mph GPS
    2010 Honda Fit Sport (wife's car) DGES, DP, OC2.0 & CQUK tester
    2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 Silver CQUK

Post Thanks / Like

My wife just got a new car tonight and I'm thinking of trying OptiCoat on it. Since it's a brand new car, what do you recommend for the prep? Mainly I was wondering if I should still polish even though it's a new car? I was thinking after washing that I should still do a quick polish using my menzerna po85rd followed by an IPA wipedown but wasn't sure if that would be overkill. I guess it's just a matter of whether or not I'm ok with whatever imperfections are there from the dealer lot but was curious what other people have done.

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839 LastLast