autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Product - Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
    Still not seeing it. There is either no OC or OC on it. So the product should theoretically bond RIGHT up to the point of the OC starting.
    It dries as a hard resin and although it doesn't bond to itself, it is very hard to remove and you are stuck with a hazy mess. We recommend doing entire panels...if you want to play "what if" you're on your own. I don't always have time to do a whole car, so I will correct and coat a panel at a time. But, I can never see a reason to only coat part of a panel. This is a permanent coating...not a monthly LSP. If you want to tape off a section to so a longevity test or something, I can see it...but just not taking the time to do a complete panel seems wasteful in any scenario I can imagine.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this stuff sounds amazing!. I know that I am a little late to the party as this product has been out for a while now but I have been away from the boards for quite some time.
    I have just purchased two new rides. Both of them are new 2011 Cadillac CTS's one is a wagon and the other is a CTS V coupe. My intention was to strip anything that the dealer might have applied to the paint by giving the car a thorough wash and clay job followed by a light polishing with 85rd. I was than going to seal the paint with Wolfgang paint sealant and top it with Fuzion (as I have these products on hand)
    However reading about this Opti Coat has got me re-thinking this project.

The coupe is silver and the wagon is the pearl white do you think the Opti Coat will look as good as the deep gloss paint sealnt 3.0 and fuzion combo? I was always happy with the look that the deep gloss paint sealnt and Fuzion gave to my Porsche and Escalade but I like the idea of a one time application LOL

If I go with the Opti Coat my prep would be comprised of the following: wash, clay, Wolfgang paint polish enhancer, light polish with Mensurma 85rd wash with Opti Clean, test for beading and than apply Opti Coat. Is that the ccorrect procedure?

Thanks

Stu
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Uncle Stu!! Great to see you. After you are done polishing I would wash with Optimum Power Clean 3:1 and then give it a IPA or ms wipedown before application.

Btw: May the shine be with YOU.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post
    Wow this stuff sounds amazing!. I know that I am a little late to the party as this product has been out for a while now but I have been away from the boards for quite some time.
    I have just purchased two new rides. Both of them are new 2011 Cadillac CTS's one is a wagon and the other is a CTS V coupe. My intention was to strip anything that the dealer might have applied to the paint by giving the car a thorough wash and clay job followed by a light polishing with 85rd. I was than going to seal the paint with Wolfgang paint sealant and top it with Fuzion (as I have these products on hand)
    However reading about this Opti Coat has got me re-thinking this project.

The coupe is silver and the wagon is the pearl white do you think the Opti Coat will look as good as the deep gloss paint sealnt 3.0 and fuzion combo? I was always happy with the look that the deep gloss paint sealnt and Fuzion gave to my Porsche and Escalade but I like the idea of a one time application LOL

If I go with the Opti Coat my prep would be comprised of the following: wash, clay, Wolfgang paint polish enhancer, light polish with Menzerna 85rd, wash with Opti Clean, test for beading and than apply Opti Coat. Is that the correct procedure?

Thanks

Stu
    If you look at the pics of cars done with it, they look great, but not as great as WGDGPS or Fuzion, or a high quality wax, IMO. Most waxes don't bond to the coating, so if you use it, you can't get the rich warm glow of a carnauba wax, but then, not having to wax at all is the point of the product. This seems to have mostly a neutral shine, neither warm nor cold, with a very slghtly cloudy, deep look to it. It's perfect for the DD, or anything you keep outside all the time. No offense intended to Optimum, it's just my view.

As far as procedure for application, if you are going to be polishing with 85RD, I don't see the point of using Wolfgang Paint Polish Enhancer before that, in order to apply any coating, including a wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthornone View Post
    If you look at the pics of cars done with it, they look great, but not as great as WGDGPS or Fuzion, or a high quality wax, IMO. Most waxes don't bond to the coating, so if you use it, you can't get the rich warm glow of a carnauba wax, but then, not having to wax at all is the point of the product. This seems to have mostly a neutral shine, neither warm nor cold, with a very slghtly cloudy, deep look to it. It's perfect for the DD, or anything you keep outside all the time. No offense intended to Optimum, it's just my view.

As far as procedure for application, if you are going to be polishing with 85RD, I don't see the point of using Wolfgang Paint Polish Enhancer before that, in order to apply any coating, including a wax.
    They will bond, but not well and the longevity is reduced...if you're ok with a month then go for it, but one of the best qualities of the coating is the repellancey and water shedding. If you top it then what is on top is going to be the attributes you see.

Post Thanks / Like

Stu,

Make sure to post pictures of your sweet rides - that CTS-V wagon is just awesome (as is the coupe and the sedan).

Post Thanks / Like

Stu, wow someone as nuts as me. bought two new cadillacs too. a cts coupe and a srx for the wife. sent two mercedes to new happy homes. miss the e 63 a little. a cts v is quite the ride. love the interiors and appointments of the new caddys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daveinsweethome View Post
    Stu, wow someone as nuts as me. bought two new cadillacs too. a cts coupe and a srx for the wife. sent two mercedes to new happy homes. miss the e 63 a little. a cts v is quite the ride. love the interiors and appointments of the new caddys.
    Kindred spirits - My bride and I have an SRX and a CTS sedan respectively. We've
    been driving Caddys for decades.

I definitely have V envy. Good luck with your new rides guys.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco View Post
    The initial "grab" is what you WANT it to feel like. This is an indicator telling you that the coating is setting up and starting to bond.

If you have a nice glassy feel after you apply it then you did something wrong, like buffed it down too soon.

It will feel smoother after a 24 hour period but it will not have that "just waxed" feel to it so don't expect that and then feel as if it didn't work properly.

Anthony
    Im bringing up and old comment because of what I felt on my car after the detailer had applied OptiCoat:

The car did feel smooth. Im not sure why, as I watched him apply it......he did a PrepSol wash on the whole car, a quick polish to remove some defects, then did a PrepSol wipe on each panel before applying OptiCoat.

The car felt smooth after he was done, which I was surprised (and worried) about. I drove the car home and let it sit for a couple days before taking it on a 900 mile round trip.

I washed the car after getting back from the trip and saw that there was plenty of hydrophobic-ness, in the form of beading and sheeting depending on the panel direction and how much water I sprayed on it. So, my only guess is that *something* is on there, and it would almost HAVE to be the OptiCoat. The surface of the paint now feels "grabby" as would be expected from OptiCoat.

This is actually why I started another thread asking if there is a way to tell if it bonded or not.

Should I be worried? Should I go back to the detailer and ask for a re-application? I havent gotten around to a second wash yet, Im curious to see if the beading/sheeting is still there, or if maybe my first wash just happened to wash something off the surface and now there is little or nothing protecting the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris11le View Post
    Im bringing up and old comment because of what I felt on my car after the detailer had applied OptiCoat:

The car did feel smooth. Im not sure why, as I watched him apply it......he did a PrepSol wash on the whole car, a quick polish to remove some defects, then did a PrepSol wipe on each panel before applying OptiCoat.

The car felt smooth after he was done, which I was surprised (and worried) about. I drove the car home and let it sit for a couple days before taking it on a 900 mile round trip.

I washed the car after getting back from the trip and saw that there was plenty of hydrophobic-ness, in the form of beading and sheeting depending on the panel direction and how much water I sprayed on it. So, my only guess is that *something* is on there, and it would almost HAVE to be the OptiCoat. The surface of the paint now feels "grabby" as would be expected from OptiCoat.

This is actually why I started another thread asking if there is a way to tell if it bonded or not.

Should I be worried? Should I go back to the detailer and ask for a re-application? I havent gotten around to a second wash yet, Im curious to see if the beading/sheeting is still there, or if maybe my first wash just happened to wash something off the surface and now there is little or nothing protecting the paint
    I wouldn't be worried. If you need to convince yourself, go spray some water on the surface and see how it reacts. I have found OC to be tough as nails so far, and it sounds like your detailer did a proper prep job for it to bond.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast