autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I take care of new car leather interior?

Get G|Techniq L1 Leather Coating from Pak Shak. There is no product like this made by anyone else IMO. I put it on the new Ford. It adds a slight gloss similar to UIGP. It prevents dye transfer. It adds no greasy finish. Mrs. Old Tiger doesnt like any conditioners on her butt. She noticed I applied L1 only because I missed a spot and she noticed it was slightly more matte than the rest. The finished leather soaks this stuff like a sponge.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a number of "leather" products over the years. I was quite blown away recently by Leatherique products on older leather seats. When I buy a new car again, I probably will use it for maintaining new leather.

Then again, Old Tiger and Cee Dog will probably have something better for me to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    I've used a number of "leather" products over the years. I was quite blown away recently by Leatherique products on older leather seats. When I buy a new car again, I probably will use it for maintaining new leather.

Then again, Old Tiger and Cee Dog will probably have something better for me to try.
    I think the G|Techniq L1 is the trick for new leather. I will apply it to the XLR too. Corey may be ready to chime in soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
    Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

The type of leather you have is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will also become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain. 'Conditioners' will not do any protecting on leather even if they say they do as there will not be enough active ingredient in them to do anything.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
    Protect from new
    Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product
    Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

Simple steps of cleaning & protecting will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judyb View Post
    Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
    Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

The type of leather you have is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will also become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain. 'Conditioners' will not do any protecting on leather even if they say they do as there will not be enough active ingredient in them to do anything.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
    Protect from new
    Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product
    Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

Simple steps of cleaning & protecting will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Hope this helps
    True, Acura recommends using non-oil based leather cleaners/Protectants for our MDX. What do you think of 303 Aerospace Protectant or Klasse interior Cleaner/ Protectant on leather ?

Thanks for the great info!

Post Thanks / Like

While all the products mentioned are very good, I'd suggest hitting some of the Chevy forums to find out who make the leather. My wife has a Lexus ES350 and I found out thru the Lexus forums that the mfg for the leather makes the cleaner and conditioner for Lexus. From there it was a no-brainer. And they were relatively cheap too - like 13 bucks apiece.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Verify it's finished Leather (I'd bet half my mf towels) Check by placing a drop of water on it and see that it doesn't absorb.
    Assuming it is do the following:
    1.-Clean your leather good with Ultima Interior Shampoo. You can wipe it down with water after but don't have to.
    Review: Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel
    2.-Allow to completely dry
    3.-Apply Ultima Interior Guard and walk away. Review: Ultima Interior Guard Plus (UIGP)
    Every 2 or 3 months do these 3 steps again

Now that its properly cleaned and sealed
    Heres the best thing you can do:
    Wipedown with clean wet cloth or mf ever week or two or as often as you can. This will help to keep dirt from rubbing away at the protective finish over the years.
    If my car is new can i just apply Ultima Interior Guard Plus Leather Conditioner from the start. I will just use a damp mild soap and dry before .Is this ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if it is not soiled I would just use a mild interior cleaner and clean it or if you know for sure it has no sweat or anything on it then you could even wipe with warm water and a microfiber. If you use an interior cleaner other than usg I still like to wipe with a damp cloth and make sure completely dry before applying UIGP.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I used Lexol for years but I really like Optimum Protectant Plus now. In my mind it finishes better, slick but not slimy with a matte finish.
    '12 Ford F150 SCrew FX4 Red Candy Metallic
    '19 AMG Mercedes GLC63 Selenite Grey Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    If you have coated leather, the conditioner is doing absolutely nothing to protect it
    I agree! A protectant is what you need!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast