autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some honest opinions from the pros! :)

I will be taking delivery of my new baby......pssst, its a car. She will be dark gray metallic. My problem is there is tooooooo many products. Ceramic coatings, wax, sealants, the list goes on. Longevity isn't an issue since it will only see 5,000 miles per year, on a good year. My main goal is to make the metallic "POP", and have the sickest deep, wet look ever.........thoughts?? Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some honest opinions from the pros! :)

Wash, clay bar every inch of the paint, get a high quality carnauba wax for deep wet look. Idk which ones the best though...

-Mr. Slick.
    -Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and if it has swirls, it will look like a different color. Notice how a swirled black car looks light grey then polished it's a deep black again.

-Mr. Slick.
    -Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome to AGO! I see this is your first post. While your here, take some time and look around the Autogeek University Section:
    Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

Congrats on the new car!!! What did you get?

The real question is, even despite how few miles a year will be put on the car;
    1.) What type of weather conditions will those 5K miles be
    2.) How much appearance maintenance do you plan on doing?

Typically, as the saying goes, the plumber has the leakiest pipes. My daily drivers look nice but they're just that, DD's. I enjoy getting paid to work on other peoples vehicles but perish the thought at doing mine. It doesn't pay $$$, and I don't like using company product, which is why I have private stock. Hence I have nano-ceramic coatings on mine.

Less maintenance usually equates to "nano-ceramic coating". The ability to do a gentle wash on the vehicle, blow dry it, watch the water drops run away from the car like impalas running from a cheetah in the Serengeti. You're done, and if eager enough, you can use the specified Detailer (reload, boaster, etc..) and give it a wipe down. Aside from easy maintenance, you'll gain in benefits of protection against light scratching (the coating acts as a sacrificial barrier), protection from bird bombs, water spots, rain storms, and even cuts down on dust collecting on the horizontal surfaces...etc..

The other equation is if you enjoy getting out every few weeks, washing then waxing, and all that... You may look into either high quality wax or a sealant such as Wolf Gang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (WGDGPS).

Start with the University link above. You won't know what you need until you inspect your car, do the baggie test, and go from there.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Typically, as the saying goes, the plumber has the leakiest pipes. My daily drivers look nice but they're just that, DD's. I enjoy getting paid to work on other peoples vehicles but perish the thought at doing mine. It doesn't pay $$$, and I don't like using company product, which is why I have private stock. Hence I have nano-ceramic coatings on mine.

Less maintenance usually equates to "nano-ceramic coating". The ability to do a gentle wash on the vehicle, blow dry it, watch the water drops run away from the car like impalas running from a cheetah in the Serengeti.
    That was just.. poetic. Most poetic way I've heard anyone describe the way water beads off a coated car.

It sounds like this could be a garage queen car so Pinnacle Black Label Synergy for that wet look plus it provides amazing longevity and protection as well. At the same time, it's a ceramic wax so it really protects and beads very very well. Its a bit more costly but I haven't come across a wax that lasts as long as that and is as easy to apply as that. Go over the whole car, wait 15 to 20 minutes or really go have a cigar then come back and wipe it off. The look is just stunning.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks Looks So New!!! She is a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport Collectors Edition. The 5k miles will be a 20 miles commute to and from work once in a while and pleasure drives. It will never see rain or snow at all, just nice days. I figure a good fall and spring maintenance will be adequate unless you advise differently, other than washes (by hand of course). I like the nano concept a ton, but should I be scared to apply and screw it up, or no? What product do you use for this? Do you get a deep wet look from the coating?

Thanks for your help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    First off, welcome to AGO! I see this is your first post. While your here, take some time and look around the Autogeek University Section:
    Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

Congrats on the new car!!! What did you get?

The real question is, even despite how few miles a year will be put on the car;
    1.) What type of weather conditions will those 5K miles be
    2.) How much appearance maintenance do you plan on doing?

Less maintenance usually equates to "nano-ceramic coating". The ability to do a gentle wash on the vehicle, blow dry it, watch the water drops run away from the car like impalas running from a cheetah in the Serengeti. You're done, and if eager enough, you can use the specified Detailer (reload, boaster, etc..) and give it a wipe down. Aside from easy maintenance, you'll gain in benefits of protection against light scratching (the coating acts as a sacrificial barrier), protection from bird bombs, water spots, rain storms, and even cuts down on dust collecting on the horizontal surfaces...etc..

The other equation is if you enjoy getting out every few weeks, washing then waxing, and all that... You may look into either high quality wax or a sealant such as Wolf Gang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (WGDGPS).

Start with the University link above. You won't know what you need until you inspect your car, do the baggie test, and go from there.

Good luck!
    Well that pretty much sums it up I say. You couldn't ask for a more honest answer & IMO an accurate description of the whats 'n' whys - brilliant response paul_g.

Welcome to Autogeek Online too Karson1.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karson1 View Post
    Wow, thanks Looks So New!!! She is a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport Collectors Edition. The 5k miles will be a 20 miles commute to and from work once in a while and pleasure drives. It will never see rain or snow at all, just nice days. I figure a good fall and spring maintenance will be adequate unless you advise differently, other than washes (by hand of course). I like the nano concept a ton, but should I be scared to apply and screw it up, or no? What product do you use for this? Do you get a deep wet look from the coating?

Thanks for your help!!
    Congrats on the GS!!! Wow, a real car that puts the power down at an amazing price point, rivals the best of others that are 3x the price!!! The new Stingrays got it right!

Scared, no...especially if you use McKee's or Pinnacle Black Label. Possibly the easiest coatings to apply. Either way, just be sure you have a spotter (someone helping) that can go behind your work and inspect to ensure you wiped off all residual product.

As Mike Phillips states, the proof is in the pudding. Here is a 2016 Stingray I just did for a 3x repeat customer. He called me and stated he purchased a new 2016 Stingray. We opted to go with CQUK. In this post, I outline all the products and steps used. You be the judge:

LSN Autodetailing - 2016 Corvette Stingray - New Car Prep Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgand Fuzion looks awesome on metallic gray.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

p.s. here are more photo's of that 2016 Vette that didn't make it to the first few pages of the show-n-shine thread above:

LSN Autodetailing - 2016 Corvette Stingray - New Car Prep Detail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast