autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dressing Or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    DO NOT PUT DRESSING ON MOTORCYCLE TIRES!
    Period. I have talked to guys that did and as soon as they went to turn the bike the either dropped it or almost did, and never dressed there tires again. .......

The only product that I could remotely say might be okay on a bike tire is 303 Aerospace Protectant, as it does not have oils/lubricants that are in products like Armor All. Even if you are going to use something like 303, you should apply it on an applicator, then apply it to ONLY the part of the tire that is closest to the rim. But even then if the rubber doesn't absorb all the product and the excess wiped off/buffed off, and the tread of the tire cleaned again before riding, you still allowing the risk of the tread being slick and the rider not being prepared for it. Most, if not all, companies CAUTION against using a tire shine products on motorcycle/bike tire. Not following a CAUTION in life can cause serious injury/damage and/or death. While not following a NOTE can just make your life harder than it needs to be. Also, a lot of tire products will attract more dirt and brake dust to the tire which is something you don't want. Plus, motorcycle tires don't have a life expectancy that allows them to stay on a bike long enough to become dull and lose their natural shine; or at least they shouldn't.
    As long as you clean the wheels and tires regularly, the tires should keep a nice satin/like new look to them.
    WITH +1000

One thing that'll really help is the Griot's rubber cleaner. Get it nice and clean.
    Then, their vinyl & rubber dressing isn't slick at all. More of a UV protectant, and doesn't do that gloss that you normally think of as a rubber dressing.

I am NOT saying it's safe for motorcycles, but it may be something you want to lok at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyCara View Post
    On: 03-14-2011; @ 11:37 PM

You asked:
    Is it ok to dress bike tires? Is it dangerous?
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyCara View Post
    On: 03-15-2011; @ 01:34 AM

You stated:
    Im about to detail my first bike.
    It's been nearly two years CurlyCara...

Have you, or have you not: Used a "dressing" on any motorcycle tires in the interim?

I, for one, certainly hope you haven't...Or ever will!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done anybody else's bike but my own, but I have no problems with putting dressing on the tire. You just have to be sure to put it only on the sidewall and not the treads. You also want to use something that does not fling, you want it to stay where it's at.

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of Harleys and I never dress tires ever. I clean them to the point off looking new so you don't need to dress them. Better to be safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Being an experienced rider....the answer is a definitive NO. Only goof balls roll up on bikes with wet sidewalls. Its a big no no.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Shaun D. Do not dress motorcycle tires. It's a really bad idea. Even dressing the sidewalls is dangerous since the dressing could get on the edge of the tire. If the bike gets leaned over hard in a turn , the rider could lose traction and have an accident. As a detailer , you do not want that kind of liability. -- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I dressed my tires on my bikes for years without any issues, just make sure not to get on tread.
    30 years and not ome issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    I dressed my tires on my bikes for years without any issues, just make sure not to get on tread.
    30 years and not ome issue.
    This good to hear that you have not had any issues on your own personal bike. If you don't mind me asking, What kind of bike are you riding that you are applying dressing to the tires?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a foam coating for the tires, you can't buy it, not easy anyway but it's more of a coating,water base, dries to the touch in seconds, no worries about losing grip with this stuff.

I use it on interiors as well.

UV protection
    Water base
    Water proof

Last a long time.

It's an industrial product.

Tuf Shine would work great too

Post Thanks / Like

If its a ridden motorcycle I never dress tires as well as seating area, hand grips, etc! Too many slips have turned into accidents. Now if its a trailer queen that's a whole different story. Clean it, ride it as often as you can!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast