autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need your help with Motorcycles...

Quote Originally Posted by IOMCAMARO View Post
    Some boats have gelcoats. I'm not sure if that changes anything or not though.
    it does changes alot soap is diff and so is compound,polish and waxing

Post Thanks / Like

I found the link to the other nooks & crannies detailing tools:

Slick Stixxx Auto Detailing Products Auto Cleaning System Auto Polishing Kit Micro fiber Cloth Towels Microfiber Towels

Looks like the same product with a slightly different name. If you've ever found yourself wrapping a rag around a screwdriver to get into tight spots these are just the ticket! I've seen both at numerous import bike shops.

TL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post

dressing the tires...

Post Thanks / Like

Your going to need "Pig Spit" detail spray for the engine area, well known product among the Bikers & Bike Shops.

Yes as I'm sure your aware & others have stated...never dress the tires.

Post Thanks / Like

One problem that I ran into while cleaning up a Harley with the black krinkle finish on the engine and tranny was that the krinkle finish on the oil tank is paint as opposed to the engine and tranny being a powder coat krinkle finish. I was using Poorboy's World Bold & Bright to dress the engine and tranny (which worked well) BUT!!!! I also sprayed it on the oil tank and the next morning we looked at the bike and the black krinkle finish on the oil tank had lifted right off of the metal. So be careful what you spray on these oil tanks. FYI this was a brand new bike so it was a factory finish on the oil tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detaildave View Post
    Your going to need "Pig Spit" detail spray for the engine area, well known product among the Bikers & Bike Shops.

Yes as I'm sure your aware & others have stated...never dress the tires.

My neighbor puts shoe polish on his Harley tires. kind of a dull finish but it at least dresses the tires without slipperiness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post

Do many bikes, you need these:

Pimp Stixxx Motorcycle Detailing Motorcycle Polishing Tools Microfiber Towels Microfiber Cloths Biker Clothing Motorcycle Apparel

Very versatile and you'll find a lot of uses for them on cars as well. They're available under a more family-friendly name somewhereorother, the name escapes me now.
    Absolutely!! In fact, I don't know what I would do without these amazing little tools. I use them for everything from motorcycles to engine detailing. They can be used to pick crud out of the seams on consoles, clean vents, final detail on emblems and body seams, and a hundred other things. These are absolutely essential tools if you are going to be doing many motorcycles, but you'll be surprised to find out how many other uses they have. I actually came into this thread to offer the exact same advice as above. Well spoken, sir!

Post Thanks / Like

As for tire shine, I don't do anything that comes near the tread. I do like to use a little on the sidewalls, but once it passes the line that turns into tread, don't use a thing. Especially if you know your rider likes to lean into the turns. Check their pegs and you'll know what kind of riding they do. If they have scraped pegs, then I would just wipe the tires down and don't put anything on them that would potentially cause the bike to slip out from under them. The tires are the only safety feature a bike has and you don't want to compromise them with greasy tire shine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No pressure wash...wash mit and and a hose only...use a leaf blower to dry and blow all the water out of all the nuks and crannys...neverdull cotton wad polish on the chrome where there may be some rust showing. I like Protect All for paint and chrome...be especially carefull with Aluminum..if you scrub it with an abrasive you can remove the clear coat, an you'll be tempted because these are usually the problem areas of a bike...big difference between billet alum and cast. I can take a cast wheel, on the bike, strip it, sand all the machine grooves out and polish to a chrome finish....but...it takes about 12 hour per wheel, and gets pricey...got a bunch of videos on how to do this if anyones interested

Post Thanks / Like

If the bike is chain driven and you decide to clean the chain, make sure to relube it. There is chain wax and chain oils made for this. Other then that, what everyone else has said is pretty much dead on.

1967 Chevelle SS
    2004 Nissan 350Z
    2003 GSXR 600

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast