autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Chevrolet in VA

Hello all,

I am a student in North VA and just bought a new, white Chevrolet Traverse. I plan to cquartz it and maintain it very well, but it will be a couple of months before I can afford that.

In the meantime I would like a buy list that will allow me to wash, dry and seal my car. I would like a moderate method that is not too expensive but gets good results, and can be modified to a spot and swirl free maintenance routine when it gets quartzed.

I saw the garry dean method of washing with many mf towels, a bucket and rinse less wash with distilled water, and I liked that. What do you think I can do for $100 between bucket, towels, rinse less wash, sealant, and shine?

Right now I have these products at home but I can return them to amazon if they could be replaced with something better or another thing already does that job.

1. Poorboy's World Trim Restorer - 16 oz

2. Meguiar's W0004 Foam Applicator Pads

3. Optimum (OB2008Q) Opti-Bond Tire Gel...

4. Optimum Opti-Seal - 8 oz

5. Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845

6. Armor All 10228 Original Protectant

I feel like I over spent and did not have a good plan. Thankfully, I have not touched the car yet so I haven't made any affirmative mistakes.

I feel like a good way to go would be rinseless garry dean method, then collinite, then the Opti-Bond on the tires AND trim.

I don't know what to put on the wheels and chrome, and I don't know about the interior stuff, I guess armor all is ok?

Moving on to post-quartzing, I would like to have a routine for maintenance. I garage this at home and work, and dont mind the idea of rinsing every night to get off the salt. I also wouldn't mind keeping it covered.

I have a Bissell vac, a pure clean power sprayer, and holder to keep everything in the back.

My questions for this would be,

1. What kind of cover to buy?

2. How should I handle storage of that cover/dealing with all the moisture or ice when it comes off in the morning?

3. I guess I should have distilled water in the pure cleaner to keep away spots, but what about a chamois? Should I get multiples, or should I just rinse the grit out every night?

4. How often should I shine the tires and wash the side glass or rainx that, as the quartz will only coat the windshield? Is it worth it or practical to get quartz on all the glass?

Thank you in advance for everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Chevrolet in VA

Im not sure it will be practical to cover a DD every night and uncover it in the am so I personally wouldnt buy it a cover right now.

If you truly want a rinseless wash I would go with Meguiar's D115. Then I would go get some Eagle Edgeless towels. Your wax / sealant choices are fine, but I would replace the AA with some Meguair's Hyperdressing (I like it diluted to 4:1). Those are just my opinions.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Im not sure it will be practical to cover a DD every night and uncover it in the am so I personally wouldnt buy it a cover right now.

If you truly want a rinseless wash I would go with Meguiar's D115. Then I would go get some Eagle Edgeless towels. Your wax / sealant choices are fine, but I would replace the AA with some Meguair's Hyperdressing (I like it diluted to 4:1). Those are just my opinions.
    Well thank you kindly for the reply.

So I will go for the rinseless with

1. D 115
    2. Collinite
    3. Opti-Seal on paint and wheels/chrome
    4. Opti-Bond on tires and outside trim
    5. Megs hyp on interior plastic

Some more questions:

1. It has gotten quite dirty in two weeks. How about a first wash? I was thinking hose, then Megs gold wash with fleece mitts.

2. What about drying after my nightly rinse? What material should I use?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of rinse less washes unless it's a garage queen.keep it simple use a hose with very little soap.order v7 chemical guys spray sealer for maintenance . Then order 845 collinite along with quality microfibers stoners glass cleaner,fine or medium clay use soapy water for lube.for the tires use whatever I wouldn't pay extra for opti bond it's just gonna wash off.I would get a gallon of hyper dressing and dilute it for the interior and use on tires.

Post Thanks / Like

For the drying get a water sprite cham,followed by v7 with a nice micro cloth or invest in a metro blower it will make your life easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

I agree about the cover. I use one as often as I can at home because I have to park outside. It's not that big a deal getting it off / on and it really helps with leaves, birds and general junk in the air. But if you can garage at home and at work I wouldn't think you'd get that much extra benefit for the cost and the time.
    2015 Jaguar XF 5.0 Supercharged
    2015 Porsche Boxster (it's actually my wife's but she let's me drive it sometimes )

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Congrats on the new vehicle.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Congrats on the new vehicle.
    Thank you much and thanks again everyone for the input.

I will be getting professional help for the first wash and will then wax, I'll be sure to post that in whathaveyoudetailedtoday.

Probably I will go with cquartz or opticoat next year.