autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Colorado Jeep Owner with Questions!

Hello autogeek!
    New member from Littleton (suburb of Denver), Colorado. I bought a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee in January this year. I love the car as it is super versatile coming from my other car a 04 BMW 325Ci

I have a couple of questions related to keeping the car clean although I have gotten into four-wheeling/off-roading. It is a blast to do on the weekends but does leave the car quite dirty during the weeks I try my best to clean her off and hose her off asap after getting back into town.

a few questions:

1. is there a regional forum of AGO? I am looking for fellow Denverites/someone that could exterior detail my Jeep the first go around while I stock up on my arensal
    2. are there any suggestions for "preventative measures" before I go four wheeling? My biggest enemy is mud, especially if it dries after being in the mountains for hours with no access to a hose...
    3. Suggestions on products for my weekly wash? Here is what I have so far
      • two buckets
      • two microfiber mitts
      • mothers california gold car wash soap
      • Absorber to dry the exterior - I have a feeling this will be frowned upon? Suggestions for something that helps make drying a breeze?
      • DUB wheel cleaner and tire shine (these were based off some searches I did)
      • Microfiber towels to clean the interior
      • 303 Aerospace Protectant for the dash/doors/etc
        • can I use this on my leather seats?

• Stone glass cleaner for the windows

here's my baby!
    Untitled by Fernando Aceves, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Colorado Jeep Owner with Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by acevesf View Post
    Hello autogeek!
    New member from Littleton (suburb of Denver), Colorado. I bought a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee in January this year. I love the car as it is super versatile coming from my other car a 04 BMW 325Ci

I have a couple of questions related to keeping the car clean although I have gotten into four-wheeling/off-roading. It is a blast to do on the weekends but does leave the car quite dirty during the weeks I try my best to clean her off and hose her off asap after getting back into town.

a few questions:

1. is there a regional forum of AGO? I am looking for fellow Denverites/someone that could exterior detail my Jeep the first go around while I stock up on my arensal
    2. are there any suggestions for "preventative measures" before I go four wheeling? My biggest enemy is mud, especially if it dries after being in the mountains for hours with no access to a hose...
    3. Suggestions on products for my weekly wash? Here is what I have so far
      • two buckets
      • two microfiber mitts
      • mothers california gold car wash soap
      • Absorber to dry the exterior - I have a feeling this will be frowned upon? Suggestions for something that helps make drying a breeze?
      • DUB wheel cleaner and tire shine (these were based off some searches I did)
      • Microfiber towels to clean the interior
      • 303 Aerospace Protectant for the dash/doors/etc
        • can I use this on my leather seats?

• Stone glass cleaner for the windows

here's my baby!

Welcome to AGO and congrats on the new Jeep!
    Mine is 1.5 years old now and still shines like a brand new Jeep because I'm taking good care of it myself by protecting it since day 1 and then properly washing it every week..
    I coated everything paint, glass, wheels and tires.. With coatings you'll have long lasting protection and cleaning will be much easier even after off-road trips, I also like to try out different LSPs on top of the coating every 3-4 months just for fun and to see different looks and characteristics of different LSPs..
    Regarding your concerns/questions:

- If you have a good coating/sealant, don't worry about mud it'll wash off easily.. Or you can quickly apply spray wax/sealant in the areas/panels of concern before off-roading to make it easier to clean later.
    - Read more here on the forums on proper washing methods and products, personally I prefer drying with blower first then Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy towel.
    - Personally I prefer leather master protection products for leather and / or Blackfire interior products (both cleaner and protectant).
    - you'll notice very little brake dust on your wheels so if they're coated or sealed, no need for special wheel cleaner just use wash soap.. Same applies for tires, clean them properly and coat them once then forget about them for 6 months or so.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sherif! Great looking Jeep!
    what are you using for coating and of what you've experimented with what do you prefer?

thanks for the warm welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acevesf View Post
    Hi Sherif! Great looking Jeep!
    what are you using for coating and of what you've experimented with what do you prefer?

thanks for the warm welcome!

I tried Opti-Coat 2.0 which is replaced now with new version Optimum Gloss-Coat.. Many great paint coatings now available from other brands like CQuartz, Pinnacle, Blackfire, DP.. Read reviews and pick what you prefer..
    For Glass, Optimum Optim-Glass coating is great, still holding up after 15 months for me..
    Carpro Dlux is great for trim and I also tried it on wheels with good results..
    For tires, I use Tuff Shine tire coating every 6 months, and touch up with Zaino Z16 or Optimum Opti-bond when needed..
    For paint sealant, I prefer the WOWA (wipe on walk away) products like Optimum Opti-Seal or Blackfire Crystal Seal for the ease of use with nice gloss and 3-4 months of durability..

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and nice ride! Great tips from Sherif. As far as your leather, check the owners' manual as the leather in the Grand Cherokees is coated and FCA recommends using a damp microfiber cloth. That goes for the leather dash if your model has it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome neighbor, which part of the block are you in?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys. Thinking of waxing her today but it will have to be all store bought stuff.

Belair I am in Littleton. Kipling and Bowles area, you?

Post Thanks / Like

check your PM.