autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello from Minneapolis

Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Again thanks for the welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by FocusSTguy View Post
    Been lurking for a while and decided to join this friendly and very infromative forum. Before owning my current car I knew nothing about detailing. My wash routine was grab the bucket and whatever car soap I had around, wash with a mit and dry with a chamois or water blade and bath towel . Add a coat of wax a couple times a year and that was about it. Last fall I purchased a Focus ST and joined a forum to learn more about this hot hatch. I was mostly interested in the performance section and did some performance upgrades and then thought now what. One day I checked out the detailing section on the forum and it opened my eyes. I had no idea what a 2 bucket wash or claying a car was and that if cared for properly it wasn't really that hard to keep swirls to a minimum and you could even buff them out yourself . Before I knew it I was searching the interwebs for anything detailing related and of course found Autogeek.

Purchased the Autogeek 2 bucket wash kit with Pinnacle Crystal Mist and Rinseless wash and I was off. As soon as the weather warmed up enough I started doing regular 2 bucket washes at home, learning proper detailing techniques and adding to my arsenal.

Fortunately I didn't make the mistake of taking the car to a regular car wash during the past horrible winter and only used touchless washes but it had a fair amount of dealer installed swirls that the more I learned about detailing the more they bugged me. I had the dealer put on a 5 year coating (won't do that again) when I bought it and debated waiting a while before polishing it off but in the end I couldn't wait to try to get the cars finish to the next level. Next purchase was Griot’s Garage & Meguiar’s Paint Perfection Kit. I also picked up the CG V series polish sampler kit and a bottle of SF4000 so I had some options.

Gave the car a wash, clayed it then spent the next 2 days polishing and resealing. I decided to do a one step polish since it was my first time and really didn't know what to expect. From what I've read the Focus paint is soft so I tried the SF4000 and V36 with a LC Tangerine pad. The v36 seemed to do a slightly better job on the swirls so that's what I used. The car turned out great, thanks in part to all the great info I've found on this forum. The car is 90% swirl free and looks the best it has since I've owned it.

Even though it was a lot work I'm looking forward to next time and going slightly more aggressive and knock out that last 10%. Hope to contribute when I can and learn more from everyone here.

Sorry about your experience with the dealer detailers leaving swirls, those 5 years coatings are complete bs. The only real 5 year coatings I know about are from companies like CarPro and Ceramic pro. And us detailers can charge anywhere from $250-$1000 for ceramic coatings! There's tons of detailers with a ton of experience here. You'll definitely pick up a lot of tips and tricks and become a pro at detailing. I've been doing this for years now and am still learning everyday. Feel free to pm me with any questions about anything, from how to wash your car without leaving swirls to how to get rid of swirls out with a polisher.

Sick ST by the way!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDetails View Post
    Sorry about your experience with the dealer detailers leaving swirls, those 5 years coatings are complete bs. The only real 5 year coatings I know about are from companies like CarPro and Ceramic pro. And us detailers can charge anywhere from $250-$1000 for ceramic coatings! There's tons of detailers with a ton of experience here. You'll definitely pick up a lot of tips and tricks and become a pro at detailing. I've been doing this for years now and am still learning everyday. Feel free to pm me with any questions about anything, from how to wash your car without leaving swirls to how to get rid of swirls out with a polisher.

Sick ST by the way!!
    Thanks!

If I only knew then what I know now I wouldn't have even considered it. Last winter one of the harshest winters I can remember and I will say up until I polished it the only thing I did was wash it. The car still looked good after a wash, so who knows maybe the coating would have been good for years but the swirls needed to go.

I've already learned a lot and am looking forward to doing most likely a 2 step in the spring and knock out the remaining paint defects. I just need to figure out what I want to use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12