autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie from Queens NY with questions

I probably live an hour or less from you so feel free to contact me via PM if you are interested in taking a trip out to Nassau for a few hours.

Some of those scratches can probably be buffed out and certainly reduced to a degree that one would really need to inspect the surface to find them.

I don't think you will be able to get all of them out though. The reason is simple; your incident was metal vs. metal. The main point of contact between vehicle and pole had to get some depth into a few of those striations. I know this from a little bit of experience. Odds are good you will need some wetsanding and a touch-up paint regimen (and I hope to be wrong).

Depending on where you want to go with this.... here are some links for you to review. Not only will you have a good sense of reality relative to your situation, you should get a good sense that there is hope for your situation and clearly an opportunity to learn an art form. :-)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ing-after.html

Key Repair + Fellow AutoGeek = Huge Pressure

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...procedure.html

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advices and the helpful links.

Ran my fingernails thru them and they don't stuck - I guess that's good news. I took a close-up shot of the worst area. Please take a look.

Assuming this can be completely polished off, what would be the max you're willing to pay to the auto shop /dealer to fix?

If I do it myself, what kind of products/tools do I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to attach photo

Post Thanks / Like

Getting "stuck" is not what you are assessing. If you feel ridges as you pass your finger over them then they are deep. A body shop may be able to compound and polish them out in ~ 30 minutes. To do it yourself you would need clay, a polisher, pads, compound and finishing polish and then a wax.

Is that pearlized paint?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what pearlized mean but I think it's "no" - it's K23Liquid Platinum Silver Metallic/Brilliant Silver.

Now I'm not sure if it's deep or not. I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. Not sure how much I should be willing to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck my friend as for plearlized paint that simply means that the paint will have the sheen (shine) of a pearl and you should only be looking to pay no more than one or two hundreds depending upon if they do it in house or take it to another shop lastly dont be scared to ask me or any of us (far or nearby) for help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybird View Post
    Not sure what pearlized mean but I think it's "no" - it's K23Liquid Platinum Silver Metallic/Brilliant Silver.

Now I'm not sure if it's deep or not. I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. Not sure how much I should be willing to pay.

When you visit the dealer, be sure to ask them if they do the work in-house, send the vehicle to a body shop, or bring someone over. Many times you can just cut them out of the equation and go direct. The dealerships tend to use body shops close by.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

pm'd

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the dealer and they compounded up the rear scratches for me. See attached photos. I say the scratches are gone except for tiny 2 lines - you have to look really hard to see the 2 lines. They used touch-up paints in the front and they told me the bubble will come off when it dries (hopefully it's true otherwise it's an eyesore). They did all these free of charge for me since I just bought the car from them. I bought a small bottle touch-up paint from them for $20 including tax, just in case. Anyway, thank you all for all the helps and advices, especially mwoolfso.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear the great news though did they add clear coat to that touch paint area ???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast