autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

response

Ok...I have a few new questions. I am up for trying new products, but I am confused about how to use them.

Let me understand; you apply wax by hand and polish using the PC? What exactly does this mean? I had planned on using the PC to apply the cleaner wax and the tech way, is this wrong? I am new to the detailing world and I want to get it right.

I am starting on my wife's 02 VW that does not need any corrective work, but sits outside in Seattle (needs a good cleaning). Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, generally the pc does the polishing. You may want to go over the car with a light polish to pick up dirt, oxidation, rain etching, fine swirls - like pb ssr1 or xmt 1. In the case of a car with a lot of damage, you might start with #3 for or 2 for polishing and work your way down.

I would suggest looking at the videos on pc usage - they were a huge help to me when I began.

Then you wax. You can use the pc, but most of us, I dare say - others correct me if I am wrong - do not use it for wax. We wax by hand, which always comes after polishing. You can use a cleaner wax instead, but I do not know how well those would work in comparison.

I guess it depends on the state of the car, the results you want, the time you are willing to spend, and the money you are willing to invest in product.

Does that help any?
    Last edited by ltoman; 07-30-2007 at 05:15 PM.
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like

it does help

Thanks, that does help. I will polish with the products that you mentioned. Am I stupid to do clay before I polish? Is that all that you use the PC for is to polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbothwell
    Thanks, that does help. I will polish with the products that you mentioned. Am I stupid to do clay before I polish? Is that all that you use the PC for is to polish?
    No, clay it first, then polish, then wax - definitely!!
    That will pull contaminents out of the paint the polishing won't be able to do, and it will make it smooth to the touch.
    Unless it is really new - and even my new vette had some dirt when clayed - all cars need that step, IMHO.

Glad I could help a bit.
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    Yah, pc is a polisher - but you could apply wax, glazes or sealants with it too - it is a personal preference.
    Make sure you have pads.
    Oh if you use glaze, that is after polishing, before wax. it is not necessaary. Just helps fill in little light swirls. Totally optional. You can use the pc there too, IF you so desired.
    Last edited by ltoman; 07-30-2007 at 05:43 PM.
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ltoman
    No, clay it first, then polish, then wax - definitely!!
    That will pull contaminents out of the paint the polishing won't be able to do, and it will make it smooth to the touch.
    Unless it is really new - and even my new vette had some dirt when clayed - all cars need that step, IMHO.

Glad I could help a bit.
    Couldn't of said it better!!! +1

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Ot.......

Quote Originally Posted by Strokin04
    Couldn't of said it better!!! +1
    Thank you, Strokin04~ now I am happy too!
    Lauren
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks-The forum rules

Thanks a lot for all of your help. I checked out the videos that you mentioned too, very helpful. If I could only get the PC here faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbothwell
    Thanks a lot for all of your help. I checked out the videos that you mentioned too, very helpful. If I could only get the PC here faster.
    \
    Good looking Dobe in your avatar, I really miss my Dobe she was a loyal dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Dobermans are the best dogs, a picture of a doberman should be in the dictionary next to loyal. Mine is sweet too. You should get another one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast