autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New guy, feeling discouraged

Hello all,

I've been browsing this forum for a few months now, reading the AG articles and Mike's how to's. I have been learning a lot already, and have improved my detailing skill immensely over the past few months. I can hardly believe there was a time that I didn't dry my car after a wash! I now have a fair stock pile of MF towels, and am starting to learn which products work for me, and what to avoid.

Anyway, both of my vehicles are in need of a polish. My Avus Blue 95 BMW M3 has some hazing, minor swirls, and some marks from old bird poo and water spots. My black f150 is really swirled, and I can tell that someone tried polishing in the past, and really mucked it up.

I am one who likes to DIY. If I can research it online, I'll do it myself. So when it came to polishing I figured it would be something I could do pretty easily.

However, I just can't get over the initial investment required. I figured I'd start with a HF DA with a new backing plate, some LC pads, and Megs compound & polish available at my local parts store.

With all that though, I'm thinking I'd need to spend what, maybe $3-400 just to get started? That's a bit more than I was hoping. It's really got me bummed out.

I know it will pay for itself eventually, but spending that much on something that will get used maybe once a year at most? It's a bit much to swallow. I was thinking of trying to find some second hand stuff, but I'd still want to invest in new pads.

So, AGO, what say you? Maybe you all can give me the motivation I need? How do you new detailers get over the initial investment?

Here's a picture of my pride and joy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy, feeling discouraged

It's really about what's important to you. Some people would have no hesitation going out and dropping that $3-400 on a new phone/tablet/whatever, that will be obsolete in 6 months.

If you like having your cars look nice, and you enjoy having the tools/equipment to fix things, then it's really a no-brainer.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Lints View Post

However, I just can't get over the initial investment required. I figured I'd start with a HF DA with a new backing plate, some LC pads, and Megs compound & polish available at my local parts store.
    That's about as entry level as you can get price wise.

With all that though, I'm thinking I'd need to spend what, maybe $3-400 just to get started? That's a bit more than I was hoping. It's really got me bummed out.
    Sounds like have the minimum to get started you can always add more items as you progress. You can never have enough buffing pads or quality microfiber towels.

So, AGO, what say you? Maybe you all can give me the motivation I need? How do you new detailers get over the initial investment?
    Get busy. Start buffing something out... I've been doing this all my life now and I'm always excited for the next project.

Post Thanks / Like

• Porter Cable 7424xp - $120
    • Backing Plate - $11
    • Pads - ~$30
    • MF Towels - ~$30
    • Clay Bar and Clay Lube - $20
    • Megs Ultimate Compound - $10
    • Megs Ultimate Polish - $8
    • Meguiars Sealant 2.0 - $20
    • Any wax - ~15

Around $265?

What did I miss?

Post Thanks / Like

that's a tough one to think about, I made the investment last year after I had to sell off all my old RC cars, it has made me $150 just by doing jobs in my family it's just about payed for half of itself right there, don't be fooled that you have to buy 4 of every pad, I bought 2 of select pads and have been doing great with them so far just make sure you clean your pads often that'll help cut down on some of the cost

When I bought my da I went with the giorts da, 6 pads, a cleaner and conditioner, and a cut and polish and that was around $300

with the kit that I got I was able to remove swirls from a black mustang, a burgundy buick, black mazda, and my baby a red jetta so the kit I got will first get you started and most likely be able to tackle a large number of vehicles

You could also look into the complete kits that autogeek offers and compare the prices, if your interested in knowing what I went with just ask and I'll post the links

Post Thanks / Like

Another example of: "Sticker Shock":
    The state of being, whereas: A consumer is either startled by the price of a product, or they simply cannot afford it.

IMO:
    -Becoming startled by the current prices of consumer goods, could translate into not keeping abreast of the rises in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) over a given time period.

-The lack of ability to afford things can translate into an economic downturn.

OP...
    "Strike while the iron is hot!!"

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

First question is what do you already own? And if $200 is to much, you may not want to dig into this it becomes an addiction!! But those swirls will be staring you in the face everyday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
    • Porter Cable 7424xp - $120
    • Backing Plate - $11
    • Pads - ~$30
    • MF Towels - ~$30
    • Clay Bar and Clay Lube - $20
    • Megs Ultimate Compound - $10
    • Megs Ultimate Polish - $8
    • Meguiars Sealant 2.0 - $20
    • Any wax - ~15

Around $265?

What did I miss?
    Investing in premium microfiber is one of the best decisions you can make.... $30 will only cover a few towels. I'd budget for $100 min. on a starter set of microfibers.

Also, $30 in pads suggests only purchasing a few pads. As Mike already said, you can never have enough pads... I typically recommend the following for "starter pad kit": 4 orange light cutting, 4 white polishing, 4 black finishing... all lake country flat pads, two 5.5" and two 3" per color. To me, this is the bare minimum for a pad starter set.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

You have your mind set in the right direction already with that said I know its hard to drop three or four hundred cause your thinking you will never see that money again, and it was a waste cause it wont be used often but its not cause you will get repaid in confidence and when your ready you will branch out to help family, and friends with there paint problems and so forth it will take time, yes, but you will make how ever much you spend back double or triple within time

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a message. Check it out.

Ian
    Doing my part to keep all cars clean and shiny!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast