autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy, feeling discouraged

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Investing in premium microfiber is one of the best decisions you can make.... $30 will only cover a few towels. I'd budget for $100 min. on a starter set of microfibers.

Also, $30 in pads suggests only purchasing a few pads. As Mike already said, you can never have enough pads... I typically recommend the following for "starter pad kit": 4 orange light cutting, 4 white polishing, 4 black finishing... all lake country flat pads, two 5.5" and two 3" per color. To me, this is the bare minimum for a pad starter set.
    I agree but the OP appears to only be interesting in doing his vehicles (2). Does he really need to invest in 12+ pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
    I agree but the OP appears to only be interesting in doing his vehicles (2). Does he really need to invest in 12+ pads?
    I would say definitely. You easily need at least two of each color to properly do one average sedan (I usually use 4-6 for each 'step' on a sedan), and the Orange, White, and Black pads are the most basic setup you can go with IMO.

It would be different had I said he needs 4 MF cutting pads, 4 yellow foam cutting pads, 4 orange light cutting pads, 4 white polishing pads, etc etc etc... but I stand by my original recommendation of two 5.5" and two 3" of each of the orange, white, and black pads as those tend to work reasonably well on most paint types.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
    Also you can do your car sections at a time, I'm forced to because of back problems. Doing smaller sections reduces the need for large quantities of pads and towels.

Pull the trigger. When you see the results you will be glad you did!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It can be expensive dropping the $$$ all at once and to be honest, I bought the Griot's Garage RO for $129 and you could honestly get away with 1 pad for polishing, 1 for fine polishing and that's it, apply the LSP by hand, seriously! As far as polish goes, once again, 2 is about all you'd need and again, I started out with GG and 2 polishes were about $30.00 IIRC. At this point you could still be under $200 for the machine, pads, polish and an LSP of your choice. I guess if you throw in other things like mf towels, drying towels, carwash soap/rinseless wash it can go up and up but hey, things cost money, just build your collection as you come along!

Btw, spare NO expense on that E36, please, awesome ride right there, love the color and wheel choice! How about some more pics!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Investing in premium microfiber is one of the best decisions you can make.... $30 will only cover a few towels. I'd budget for $100 min. on a starter set of microfibers.

Also, $30 in pads suggests only purchasing a few pads. As Mike already said, you can never have enough pads... I typically recommend the following for "starter pad kit": 4 orange light cutting, 4 white polishing, 4 black finishing... all lake country flat pads, two 5.5" and two 3" per color. To me, this is the bare minimum for a pad starter set.
    He said he's not trying to spend a crap load, that alone is around $300 for pads, I get by with 2 of every color and haven't had a problem yet

Post Thanks / Like

On the pad side, I started out with 5 pads.
    3 Orange and 2 Black.
    With the HF DA, it was little bit over a $100 with chemicals
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies!

I am only looking to do my own cars, maybe family later on.

As for supplies, I do already have a good car wash, wax, and a fair supply of MF towels, albeit not the best quality.

I hadn't considered a kit. Mostly because I thought the most expensive part of this endeavor would be the DA. I didn't want to spend beyond my skill level, and thought the HF would be good enough. So the HF DA, a new backing plate, and 9-12 pads, I guessed I'd be around 225 just in that. I'd need new clay, compounds, and pad cleaners on top of that.

Looking at the packages it doesn't seem so bad. A PC DA with 9 pads could run me about the same as above, and I'd have a tool that I know would last. I'm all about diy, and having the right tool for the job.

Over the past few weeks, I can feel myself being bitten by the AG bug. Noticing more flaws in my own paint, improving my own washing techniques, using better products. I think it might just be a matter of time before I fall into the clutches and immerse myself in the world of detailing.

Thanks Ian for the pm!

Bob, this is a post I can understand!

If I don't make the investment, and instead spend 200 or so to have someone else do it, then it only takes me having to do one other car in my lifetime to justify the cost. Maybe I should call some local detailers and get some prices, then I can figure out an opportunity cost.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Another example of: "Sticker Shock":
    The state of being, whereas: A consumer is either startled by the price of a product, or they simply cannot afford it.

IMO:
    -Becoming startled by the current prices of consumer goods, could translate into not keeping abreast of the rises in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) over a given time period.

-The lack of ability to afford things can translate into an economic downturn.

OP...
    "Strike while the iron is hot!!"

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skimmer0220 View Post
    He said he's not trying to spend a crap load, that alone is around $300 for pads, I get by with 2 of every color and haven't had a problem yet
    $300 for 12 pads??? ...where are you shopping?

If you would read my post carefully, I recommended the following: 4 orange, 4 white, and 4 black pads (2 of which are 5.5" and 2 of which are 3" for each color)... That is like $70 in pads retail price.

6 pack - 5.5" LC flat pads = $35

..and yeah, you can definitely work in sections over multiple days and clean the pads in between if you'd like.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

You can go even cheaper and do the Meguiar's Microfiber pads. Two cutting pads and two buffing pads would be more than enough for just doing one or two vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hadn't even considered a 3" pad!

The number of pads is a bit of an unknown to me, as I have absolutely zero polishing experience. Some are saying 12 and some are saying 2-4... I'd probably end up in the middle maybe get a set of 9?

Orange, white, and black are the way to go? So 3 of each, or maybe two of each in the 6" and one of each in the 3"??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast