autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New member from Florida

Hi guys, Just wanted to introduce myself and get some advice from you guys. I am new to this whole detailing world and it is over whelming with the amount of information on this forum. My questions will be in bold.

I am just trying to learn to do it on my own cars and have no intention of starting a business. I am building up my inventory but it takes a lot of money as you all know. So far I have Meg m105, meg m205 and Collinite 845 wax. I still have yet to buy pads, that is next. I can get Meg pads for 50% off from "advance auto parts" with coupons, so just waiting on the coupons to arrive right now. I see you guys use "LC" products a lot but they would be quite a bit more expensive for me to buy over the Megs which I don't see a lot of people use here. Would it be ok if I stick with Meg pads?

I just couldn't wait till the coupons arrived to buy the pads yet, so I made do with what I had. Harbor freight buffer, foam pad it come with and wool pad which again I bought from HF.

The car I am working on is a 97 Lincoln Mark VIII tri-coat pearl white. This is my daily driver. Now the paint IMO is really bad with swirls all over the place.

I only did the trunk to see what could be done. Washed and clay bar the trunk to start with the Meg M105. Started with the Foam pad and M105 you saw on the pic but it didn't do anything with the swirls. Switched over to the wool type pad and it started to remove the swirls. Now I thought I would get the rest with Meg M205 with the foam pad. Are you suppose to remove all the swirls with the M105 and then move to M205 just to make it glossy? If not, I guess the foam pad that I am using just doesn't do crap.

After M105 and M205

I will have another go at it when I get the correct supplies and see if that makes a difference. It is MUCH better but not glass smooth which I am going for. I am gonna stick with this buffer for right now because I can't afford the PC 7424 yet. The stuff I have and the pads I will be getting, would the PC 7424 be good for my use or should I go for another one?

These are the pads I will be getting

-Meg Wool cutting pad W4000
    -Meg Cutting pad W7000
    -Meg Polishing pad W8000
    -Meg Finishing pad W9000

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New member from Florida

Welcome! Be careful with that Mark - I've yet to see one without signs of thin clear coat. (Had one myself, seen hundreds of them)
    Everyone is my teacher. Some I seek. Some I subconsciously attract. Often I learn simply by observing others. Some may be completely unaware that I'm learning from them, yet I bow deeply in gratitude.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. Megs pads will probably be fine but be sure to use different pads for the type of correction that you want and use a finishing pad for the 845. There are more expensive products on the market but you have all the bases covered with the Megs 105, 205, and then the 845.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, welcome from Orlando.

If you'd like to try out a GG, Flex, or well, pretty much anything I'm happy to help. Drop me a pm if you're in the area and again...welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IngramAutoDetail View Post
    Welcome! Be careful with that Mark - I've yet to see one without signs of thin clear coat. (Had one myself, seen hundreds of them)
    I am a Lincoln fan, I have 4 Mark VIIIs and one Town Car in my fleet. Non have clear coat issues yet. I know what you mean about these cars clear though.

And thanks for the welcome guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Mark!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast