autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too many hobbies...

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Ok so that would be 100A at 12V? So roughly 1200 Watts? That's much lower than I was expecting. For some reason I thought that a car needed tons of power to operate.

Thanks for the info about the isolator, I did not consider the draining of the main battery as a problem. I guess it really dépends how long the battery pack can operate... if it has say 10 hours of work time, then the isolator would not be needed. If it's more like 1 or 2 hours then yes you can be in trouble without one

I guess I will need to research the subject. This seems like a good way to work instead of getting a generator that is super Noisy. Not sure what kind of battery would be best, I was thinking marine ones because they are designed to work for a long time but they may lack the power. Otherwise probably car batteries would be best.
    I've never metered a running vehicle to see what the draw is (would want to do it without the alternator feeding back into the electrical system), but overall there aren't a TON of electrical things...lights, ignition system, A/C, radio, etc. unless you are talking about a hybrid or electric vehicle. But it does all add up.

The problem with adding things onto the electrical system, even car audio, is that he auto manufacturers don't consider those additions to their design requirements.... they only need that alternator to charge the standard running vehicle. Sure, they probably pad the specification with 20% or something, but they aren't intending to charge 6 batteries added to operate tools for mobile detailing

You will probably want deep cycle batteries... something that can be pretty much fully drained and recharged without effecting the battery operation. Standard automotive batteries are not designed to be drained like this, and doing so will effect their recharge ability and battery life.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good way to look at things I think. It's fun to learn new stuff and if you can save a buck in the process then why not.

My next project will be to learn basic mechanic to replace items that break often on a car. I was thinking alternator and water pump. Probably breaks too although I remember that when I was younger I tried working on breaks and bleeding the lines was a pain in the butt. I am not sure if brake systems improved in that regard.
    Alternators are simple as long as the belt tensioner is easy to access and there is ample room to work - since you would have to remove the belt. I recently changed the belt on my Acura and there is little room... by little room, I mean that a standard 3/8" drive ratchet and socket for the belt tensioner won't even fit. Nonetheless, I got it done in about 30 minutes... which I'm sure saved a $85 labor charge from my local mechanic; I've read that some RSX owners have been charged as much as $200 for the labor for replacement.

Regarding brake systems... my Acura and my wifes Explorer both have standard disc brakes. I've changed both and they are easy and straight forward to do... MUCH easier than anything with brake drums & shoes and having to deal with their springs. That said, even some of the disc brakes are trying to get a little more tricky... most just need to have the piston compressed to install the new pads and this can usually be done with a C-clamp. However, some vehicles are now requiring special tooling to compress (via rotation) the piston back into the caliper.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that Lion pic.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ayankeeman1968 View Post
    I love that Lion pic.
    Thanks. It looks better at full resolution where you can see the details of each hair. I got it printed in a 16" x 24" size for my sons room... most people who come over and see it don't believe that I took it. It was taken at the San Diego Safari Park back in 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Great pic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drvnbysound View Post
    The problem with adding things onto the electrical system, even car audio, is that he auto manufacturers don't consider those additions to their design requirements.... they only need that alternator to charge the standard running vehicle. Sure, they probably pad the specification with 20% or something, but they aren't intending to charge 6 batteries added to operate tools for mobile detailing

You will probably want deep cycle batteries... something that can be pretty much fully drained and recharged without effecting the battery operation. Standard automotive batteries are not designed to be drained like this, and doing so will effect their recharge ability and battery life.
    This is all true, that is why I was thinking marine batteries. I don't know if it's possible to get a more powerful alternator for a vehicle, but if so that might be something to look into as well. Or maybe add a second alternator dedicated to the battery group. Gonna have to do a lot of research on this.

Post Thanks / Like

This is all true, that is why I was thinking marine batteries. I don't know if it's possible to get a more powerful alternator for a vehicle, but if so that might be something to look into as well. Or maybe add a second alternator dedicated to the battery group. Gonna have to do a lot of research on this.
    You definitely have options here... you can certainly have an OEM alternator re-built/modified to a higher output (most alternator/generator repair shops can do this). Additionally, you can purchase an aftermarket High Output alternator as well - they usually aren't cheap, but it will likely depend on how much amperage that you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drvnbysound View Post
    Alternators are simple as long as the belt tensioner is easy to access and there is ample room to work - since you would have to remove the belt. I recently changed the belt on my Acura and there is little room... by little room, I mean that a standard 3/8" drive ratchet and socket for the belt tensioner won't even fit. Nonetheless, I got it done in about 30 minutes... which I'm sure saved a $85 labor charge from my local mechanic; I've read that some RSX owners have been charged as much as $200 for the labor for replacement.

Regarding brake systems... my Acura and my wifes Explorer both have standard disc brakes. I've changed both and they are easy and straight forward to do... MUCH easier than anything with brake drums & shoes and having to deal with their springs. That said, even some of the disc brakes are trying to get a little more tricky... most just need to have the piston compressed to install the new pads and this can usually be done with a C-clamp. However, some vehicles are now requiring special tooling to compress (via rotation) the piston back into the caliper.
    Yes I feel the alternator is most likelly the easiest of parts to change. There is no liquid lines of any kind running there so it's just a matter of removing the old one, bolting the new one in with attention to torque and making sure the belt is good an tight.

Fuel pumps, windshield washer pumps and motors and all those things are probably a lot harder. For brakes, are you saying that it is no longer needed to bleed them? If so that would make that job so much easier!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to have you on the forums Drvnbysound. So what do you do in your spare time, when you have any, these days?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I'm glad I'm not the only one! I, too, have way too many hobbies. Many of them spread from me seeing someone do something, and thinking "I can do that!"

I, too, am into DSLR photography and even a little woodworking and stuff! That and, motorcycles, R/C airplanes, cars, boats, and a million other things. Nobody will EVER accuse me of 'needing a hobby'.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast