autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New guy in Massachusetts!

Hello everyone!

I'm a long time amateur detailer here in Massachusetts. Though I have been extremely meticulous with my vehicles I have never ventured into the world of machine polishers so I could use some guidance. I was also looking for recommendations for paint sealant.

For the last 15 or so years I have been a loyal Zaino user on my toy, S100 user for my daily drivers. More recently I have begun layering S100 on top of the Zaino on my toy. I have a variety of over the counter cleaners, polishes and waxes and recently decided it was time to venture into the world of machine polishing so I picked up a harbor freight DA, a couple of cutting pads, polishing and finishing pads. I also picked up a few Meguiars Polishing pads, some 205 and Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover.

The toy is a 2009 Mazda MX5 which is stored in the winter months, has never seen rain or snow and has a nearly flawless finish. It's a dark blue, "Stormy Blue Mica" as defined by Mazda. The clearcoat on the car is very soft. Two years ago it was washed, clayed, washed, polished by hand and several layers of Zaino applied. The car is quick detailed after almost every run. There are very few visible swirls and light scratches in the clear coat. Over the last year, I have begun layering S100 on top of the existing Zaino.

Obligatory iPhone pic:

Side shot:

Top shot:

The car is usually top ranked at Miata specific shows and many have inquired about my routine but it's not as good as I think it could be. With the DA now on the shelf, I have been considering the use of a sealant once the paint has been corrected to lay the foundation for what ever I decide to layer on above it. I joined to solicit advise on what sealant might be a good start.

My thoughts are as follows. Though I am very good at detailing by hand, I have not yet corrected with a machine. I have the opportunity to practice on my daily driver (2010 Sterling Grey Ford Fusion), I'm concerned about getting the paint correction right and then sealing the paint incorrectly. With factory paint thickness in question and the soft clearcoat I want to make sure there are no halos or micro swirls permanently imbedded in the finish. I'm admittedly intimidated by the permanence I have read about with products like Opticoat and 22PLE. Can anyone else recommend a sealant that would help the durability of the finish without sacrificing depth and clarity? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy in Massachusetts!

Welcome to AGO ! Nice car.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek. Where in Mass are you? If detailing your car is your hobby something like a coating might not be for you.

Post Thanks / Like

to Autogeek.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome! I'm in Auburn. Honestly, that was one of my concerns. Though I enjoy the detailing process, my primary interest was to reduce micro marring in what appears to be pretty soft paint. I've literally found scuffs in the paint from oak leaves hit the nose at speed in the fall.

I have to admit that my self diagnosed OCD and feverish detailing revolves around a desire for paint perfection more so than the completion of the process. If a sealant were to get me to 95% with only the occasional dusting and quick detail, I could probably live with that. But if there were products that could get me to 100% with less potential for the marring I am experiencing now, I would be thrilled.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the GEEK.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from a fellow MA member. It sounds like you might want to look into using a wipe on walk away sealant. This will minimize your risk of instilling imperfections in the paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to AGO !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Welcome from a fellow MA member. It sounds like you might want to look into using a wipe on walk away sealant. This will minimize your risk of instilling imperfections in the paint
    Any specific product you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Sure. I mean you can't go wrong here, as there are several good choices. I would recommend the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal. You can get that in an 8 oz bottle. If you're looking for a smaller bottle, you could go with Ultima Paint Guard Plus, which comes in a 4 oz size and is also very good

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast