autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"First-Timer" plan and questions

I just got my new PC 7424XP with CCS pads and i'm looking for a little advise for a first timer.
    I got an orange, white, blue, and red pad.

Here's my plan of attack for the paint.
    1. Wash with Pinnacle bodywork shampoo
    2. Clay with Pinnacle clay kit
    3. Iron-x
    4. Meg's UC on an orange pad
    5. Meg's UP on a white
    6. IPA wipedown
    7. Rejex sealant on blue pad
    8. Wax of some sort to really make it pop on red pad

Now I realize that I will need more pads. What are your recommendations, more of the same colors (orange and white in particular) or different colors? I was recommended to have 2-3 oranges and whites each for compound and polish.

Plan of attack for the wheels
    1. Wash with Pinnacle bodywork
    (should I pick up some dedicated wheel cleaner?)
    2. Iron-x
    3. Clay with Griot's wheel clay
    4. IPA wipe
    5. Rejex sealant

I have a Mother's wheel brush and 1" lug nut brush in my AG cart right now. (Boar's hair wheel brush a little more than I want to spend right now)

Plan for tires
    1. TUF SHINE tire kit
    2. Touch up with Pinnacle Black Onyx if needed later on

In my AG cart is 2 Supreme 530 MF towels, 2 chinchilla MF's, XMT pad care combo, small boar's hair vent brush, and the already mentioned Mother's wheel brush, 1" lug nut brush, and Iron-X.

All of this will be primarily used on my 2006 Mineral Gray Dodge Ram.

Any and all recommendations are very appreciated!

Mitch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "First-Timer" plan and questions

Welcome to AGO!

What is the condition, color and make of the car/paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Without a pic or description of the paint's condition it is hard to see if #4 is necessary. Whatever you do across the whole car, lock down the process by performing all steps on a test spot.

The process itself is fine; I'd rather IronX before claying so consider swapping those steps for the paint. Rejex can be applied with blue or red.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint is in good shape but it does have swirls and a couple scratches in it from the previous owner and a couple from the dog.
    As said at the bottom of my first post, paint is Mineral Gray (paint code PDM) on a 2006 Dodge Ram.

Mwoolfso, I will do a test spot (I've watched all or most of the "how-to's" so I feel pretty confident about actually applying and using the products) I'm not a total rookie either, just a rookie to the "full" detail including the machine.
    I do plan to iron-x before clay. I accidentally put them out of order. Got it right in the wheel process though!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty well planned out. Maybe a 6 pack of pads so you don't lose time cleaning them. I love 5.5" LC flat pads on my pcxp. I'm sure the CCS work just as well though.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on a 6-pack. 2 more orange, 2 more white, but not sure about the last 2????
    That was another question I had, do y'all prefer the flat pads over the CCS's?
    I could save a little money with the flats so I might go that direction.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with the CCS pads, and I still use them, but I also tried the Hydrotech pads and I like those A LOT! All future pad purchases when I need them will be Hydrotech for me. If you get more CCS pads add in the gray. I seem to use my grays often. You really dont need more than one LSP pad from my experience. Since the paint is clean, and you are just spreading product for this step, you can do an entire car with one pad. So you might want to use the new pad purchase for additional compounding and polishing pads. Oh, and since you didnt mention the diameter, use 5.5 inch pads, they work better on a DA.

BTW, I have never used an IPA wipedown and I am not sure I have ever noticed not doing it causing any issue what so ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Plan sounds solid. Please read this thread.
    [URL="http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wool-foam-buffing-pads/58637-foam-pad-failure-2.html"]
    It's all in the details.

Post Thanks / Like

Jaret, any specific reasons you like the hydro pads better than the CCS ones? Yes I am and will be using. 5.5"ers. I'll add a gray into the mix, still have one more to decide on though.

Cgreen, I read that thread and will be extra careful my first time around to not use too much product and check my backing plate and surface for heat.

I think 3 orange pads should be plenty to compound with. I'll do the quick cleaning by putting a towel over the pad face and getting off the excess grime. If I run out of pads then I guess I'll take a break and clean them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjd91 View Post
    Paint is in good shape but it does have swirls and a couple scratches in it from the previous owner and a couple from the dog.
    As said at the bottom of my first post, paint is Mineral Gray (paint code PDM) on a 2006 Dodge Ram.

Mwoolfso, I will do a test spot (I've watched all or most of the "how-to's" so I feel pretty confident about actually applying and using the products) I'm not a total rookie either, just a rookie to the "full" detail including the machine.
    I do plan to iron-x before clay. I accidentally put them out of order. Got it right in the wheel process though!
    You did come across as someone with experience and I figured it was an honest mistake. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast