autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "First-Timer" plan and questions

I keep 3-4 pads in rotation so I don't have to stop as often but we all need a break from time to time. The towel trick works good but if you change your pad after each panel you won’t need it.

Craig
    It's all in the details.

Post Thanks / Like

The towels I used to "clean on the fly" left lint on the pad, so then I had to brush them off also. Shortly after that I ordered more pads. It's hard to describe but I like the "feel" of flat pads. I have some hydrotechs to try next time I get to use the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I already have the CCS pads I may try the flats to compare for myself and see which I like better.

Post Thanks / Like
    The flat pads will cut a bit better than CCS pads, all others things held the same, because you have slightly more pad surface doing work.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips is just about the wisest fella bar none here. He'll help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Umi, that does make sense!

Mark, I'm hoping he'll chime in.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG!

Man do I love a man with a "plan". You can always adjust that plan as you get started. Might not need it all. I can tell though that you really want it to turn out fantastic and have no doubt with the work you plan on putting into it it'll be pretty awesome. (Remember before and after pics if possible.)

First thing I noticed on the pads is you seem to have the colors you will use the most so no real worries there. However I see you have a Dodge RAM and that is a LoT of sheetmetal. The bigger the panel, the more pads you're going to need. That truck will need a lot of pads if you are doing any real correction. For that huge hood I'd use 2 (Mike might use 4) , 1 for each fender, door, rear quarter, etc. There is no way I'd have less than 6 of the colors I'm using the most, especially if you really want to use UC!

Honestly you might not even need UC as UP does pretty good on it's own and both (as I'm sure you've read here) have really nice, long, working times. You can take it with the orange pad and do a test area, then do another with a white pad and you'll be surprised at the difference. Same if you tried the yellow, and also it'll be different with the flats vs the CCS.

The most important thing is not over working, and over loading, the pads. Easy enough to just throw them in the bucket as they get dirty, do a good wash, overnight dry, and start again tomorrow. But don't do as you'll see in some of the latest posts where a pad is destroyed by trying to do a whole car with it.

I think we (me) were a bit delusional when that first GG6 order and 6 pads showed up thinking that would actually work for anything but maybe one of my cars. The only one that never gets dirty, never driven in the rain, and waxed long and often was the only one I could do with that first group of pads. (But then again, I knew that when I ordered those colors with that first order.)

Maybe we should petition AG to sell us the DA's for $49.99 with the promise that ALL of our pads from then on would come from them. Why? Because I've spent THREE TIMES as much on pads alone as I did for the GG6, (and IT was on SALE)!

But yeah, you've watched the videos, you know about the "test spot" and you've got a solid plan. Really no worries there at all.

AG has put together an excellent 25 piece kit to really exploit the capabilites of the current generation of DA's. It's The Complete Dual Action Accessory Kit includes 10 Lake Country CCS 6.5 inch foam pads, four CCS 4 inch foam pads, plus all the bonnets, backing plates (plus a carpet brush!) you need to perform any detailing task with your Porter Cable. We’ve also included XMT Polishing Foam Pad Cleaner and XMT Polishing Foam Pad Conditioner to help you get the most mileage out of your new pad collection.

Complete Dual Action Accessory Kit

The one thing that might subtract just a bit is only 2 of each color (10 total 6˝'s) and not able to mix-and-match.

But with different backing plates, 4" CCS pads, plus the wool leveling pad and 4 MF bonnets it's something I think anyone that's really wanting to use their new DA needs. At $199.00 it's very fair (and I was lucky enough to get it for $150.00 on sale for Christmas). Eventually (if you're like me) you'll end up buying most/all the stuff in that package anyways.

Then, because it has a smaller backing plate included, you can order some 5˝" flat pads to go with it in your favorite color and kill the whole flock of birds with one stone. At the risk of getting flogged I'm not going to post my last pad order photo here (again) as.... well.... perhaps it's a bit depressing to think how much I spent on that order. But, you can find it here. Let's just say that I do not regret it, and I'll use each and every one with a smile on my face!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjd91 View Post
    Jaret, any specific reasons you like the hydro pads better than the CCS ones? Yes I am and will be using. 5.5"ers. I'll add a gray into the mix, still have one more to decide on though.
    The thin hydro pads allow you to put more pressure on the pad with less physical effort, since wasted effort is not being put down on a pad that is simply compressing. This also seems to keep more even pressure across the pad and they seem to be easier to control (not that CCS pads are difficult). They also might have just a tad more cut.

If you are placing another order, get yourself a pad conditioning brush. So much better and more effective at cleaning the pads than the towel method. Foam Pad Conditioning Brush cleans and reconditions foam and wool pads on the buffer. remove excess caked wax and polish from buffing pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Cardaddy, let me start by thanking you for the useful post! That combo pad kit does look good but I've read that the 5.5" pads are as big as you want to go with the PC. But is it a good idea to get a smaller backing plate pads (3-4") to put on my PC for the smaller/more intricate areas?
    I'll have to take a look at your pad order.

Jaret, the hydro pads explanation makes sense. I haven't decided for sure what pads I want yet so I'll do some poking around and reading.
    Also when I use the quick towel cleaning that will only be during use to get product off the pad between sections. I will clean the pads after use with the XMT pad cleaner spray and toss them in a bucket of warm water. After I'm totally done I will clean them thoroughly. Is there something special about the pad brush that a simple fingernail brush won't do?

I've also thought about the DP pad wash powder instead of the XMT spray just to put in the bucket I toss my pads in. Is one better than the other?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjd91 View Post
    Cardaddy, let me start by thanking you for the useful post! That combo pad kit does look good but I've read that the 5.5" pads are as big as you want to go with the PC. But is it a good idea to get a smaller backing plate pads (3-4") to put on my PC for the smaller/more intricate areas?
    I'll have to take a look at your pad order.

Jaret, the hydro pads explanation makes sense. I haven't decided for sure what pads I want yet so I'll do some poking around and reading.
    Also when I use the quick towel cleaning that will only be during use to get product off the pad between sections. I will clean the pads after use with the XMT pad cleaner spray and toss them in a bucket of warm water. After I'm totally done I will clean them thoroughly. Is there something special about the pad brush that a simple fingernail brush won't do?

I've also thought about the DP pad wash powder instead of the XMT spray just to put in the bucket I toss my pads in. Is one better than the other?
    You are certainly welcome, and thank you as well. Ya' know... it was late/early (almost 3am) when I composed that message it didn't dawn on me your machine is a PC.
    Although if you already have a few 6˝" CCS pads then the ones included would likely be all you ever needed for your arsenal in that size. The PC will do ok though with the MF bonnet's included, as well as the smaller pads and of course there is even a carpet brush. I figured the cleaning spur and XMT products as the icing on the cake, although I find it a little strange that there isn't a pad brush included in a rather well rounded out kit. What I was thinking when I bought it was after that I'd have a few more 6˝" CCS's to round out my inventory and only ordered just 6 more of that size.

Then just make all additional orders in 5˝" and smaller pads. Not having a forced rotation machine the smaller pads just work easier. PLUS.... the smaller ones are MUCH more affordable, which means we get to buy more of those suckers!

Yes by all means it'd be a good idea to use the 4" pads on your DA for tight areas. Sure beats buying yet another DA if ya' don't need to.

I'm of the mindset that powders like the DP, Snappy and the like (I use Snappy) are another tool needed along with liquids like XMT, both pad cleaner and conditioner (both are included in the kit btw).

Gotta' run... I hear a grill full of ribeyes calling my name.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast