autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New here from New Jersey

Hey guys,

New to the site here...I've been checking it out for the past week and I'm impressed at the depth of knowledge on here.

To give you a little background, I've had a few experiences with detailing cars. I was as a helper to a neighbor who had his own detailing business. That was when I was 14 or so. Also, my father owned a body shop and I used to help out in my time off with washing cars after assembly, wet-sanding to remove imperfections after paint, etc.

I also had a white 1985 Toyota Camry that was a hand me down. It was pretty neglected, but I took my dad's DeWalt rotary to it and compounded/glazed with 3M products and it came out beautifully.

Anyway, now I still have that DeWalt polisher, but the backing pad and pads are long past their prime and need to be replaced. I'm looking to get some info here on how I can restore the paint on my wife's white '99 Civic. It's got badly oxidized paint with black tree sap all over it. Mechanically, the car is in great shape and it deserves some better exterior care.

Can you guys help me with selecting a good tree sap remover and selecting pads and polishes to get the job done?

I've taken a clay bar to a very small section to see if the tree sap comes out, and it does for the most part. But, it does leave a small brown/black dot that it now flush to the surface.

Thanks for having me and any tips would be much appreciated!

Helder

Mike Phillips

Re: New here from New Jersey

Hi Helder,

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

For pads for your DeWALT take a look at the Lake Country pads or the Meguiar's pads, here's the links...

Lake Country Buffing Pads

Meguiar's Buffing Pads

As for tree sap, the thing about tree sap is trees are different and that makes their sap different and some sap will dissolve in water and other types of sap require a solvent. If getting the car REALLY WET and washing doesn't loosen and remove the majority of the tree sap then some type of solvent will be needed, here some you can try that are safe,

Mineral spirits
    Paint Thinner

Some people post they have good luck with WD40 which I understand is some type of fish oil and oils and solvents kind of work the same.

Might also try Goo Gone or Goof Off

I've had good luck using Xenit for overspray paint. Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner removes resins, carbon deposits, silicones, and contaminants from molds. You’ll never again be frustrated trying to remove tough gunk and grime in your home, office, garage or car. Natural citrus XENIT by Stoner removes tacky, grimy dirt so well, in most cases you can simply “wipe it away.”

Xenit is a natural precision mold cleaner used as a degreaser in the plastics and rubber molding industries. It contains Citrus 66, a highly refine extract of citrus fruit. This powerful ingredient removes greasy soil and stains that can't be removed by soap and water.

Use XENIT to quickly permanent marker, crayon and lipstick “accidents” in the car and around the home. It removes release agents, resins, carbon deposits, and other contaminants left in mold cavities.

Xenit contains more than five, different, high performance cleaners. Unlike most water-based citrus cleaners that are designed to lift and carry dirt, XENIT is formulated to break down the complex molecules found in sticky materials. This MicroActive cleaning action gives XENIT unequaled abilities to loosen and dissolve difficult grime like tar, grease, gum and adhesives. It even removes dried latex paint if accidentally dripped on carpet, flooring, or furniture. Xenit removes shoe scuffs and heel marks from from vinyl panels and greasy dirt from fabrics and upholstery.

Save yourself hours of agony trying to remove sticky stuff with standard cleaners. Avoid wasted time spent laboring with inferior water-based products. XENIT is formulated to evaporate and dry completely, leaving behind no sticky residues or streaky soaps.

10 oz. aerosol.

You'll get more replies and thus more help if you start a "Dedicated Thread" in the

Detailing 101 Forum Group

This is the "introduction" forum and the title to your thread reads,

New here from New Jersey

So out of the hundreds of awesome forum members we have posting each and every day, none of them know you have questions about removing scratches from your motorcycle because of the title of this thread and the location of it.

I've been posting to forums and even ran a few since the software was invented so these are just some friendly tips to help you help yourself...

Here's a couple of article I've written on this topic and you can find more in my article list.

A tip to help yourself get great answers when you start a thread

How to write a good title for your thread

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online Helder!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek Online Helder!
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

to AGO!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike and thank you guys for the welcome.

I was going to post my issues in the other forum last night, but my eyes weren't cooperating anymore. I wanted them open and they wanted them closed.

Thanks!

Helder

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO from a fellow New Jersey resident!

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO. What part of New Jersey are you in. I'm in Northern NJ

Passaic County

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome fellow Jerseyan!!! I am in Bergen County.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

I'm in Somerset.