autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ready to Learn, from VA...

What's up everybody? Another newbie from VA, currently in Hopewell VA, nearby Richmond. But I'm building my stock of equipment and trying to read every thread I can find on becoming the best detailer I can be. Gotta say that washing my car is such an enjoyable experience, but I've never been truly hardcore about it until recently. The process of washing the car is the perfect escape from daily grind, just getting away and really getting into the car. So the proper progression to me would to become as skilled as I can to not only keep enjoying this process but really make my car look as great as possible and maybe moving along to my friends cars as well.

So, I'm glad to be here. Glad to start learning as much as possible and looking for any and all advice on starting off. I'm building up my equipment slowly but surely and up next on my list is a pressure washer and a griots DA polisher. So far my stock of products is:

Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body Bundle, Adam's Drying Microfiber, 2 Buckets, Grit Guards, 1Z einszett Anti-Insekt, 1Z einszett Cockpit, Adam's Quick Detail, Wolf's Chemicals Trim Coat, Wolf's Chemicals 2N Nano Shampoo, Wolf's Chemicals Glass Guard, Gilmour Foamaster 2, Uber wool wash mitt and various microfibers.

My wants list includes: Griots DA Polisher with multiple pad set, Cleanforce 1800 psi 1.5 GPM Pressure washer and Sonax Wheel Cleaner.

I think my biggest question would be when using the DA polisher, what are some beginner tips I need to look out for so I don't burn up my car. How much polish, how big of an area to do at once, when do I know that section is finished, stuff like that. Do you pick 1 panel and do that 3 process start to finish, or finish the car as a whole step by step? What are the best pads? Etc etc..

I think I've got a solid grasp on everything else, but I'm a COMPLETE beginner on using machine polishing, pad choices, etc etc.I'm very interested not only in detailing as a full experience but also in minor paint correction, I'm not planning on starting a business or becoming "pro" other than being the best I can but i want to know how to buff small scratches and repair swirling as well as cleaning the surfaces and protecting them as best I can.

Sorry for the novel, thanks so much in advance for any and all help!

Mike Phillips

Re: Ready to Learn, from VA...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Quote Originally Posted by xGaspy View Post

The process of washing the car is the perfect escape from daily grind,
    I agree...

I used to really love washing my Milk Truck, it was big and yellow but it helped me to really stretch out first thing in the morning and then the rest of the day I drove around a bright, shiny Milk Truck as my daily driver.

1966 Milk Truck

Quote Originally Posted by xGaspy View Post

I think my biggest question would be when using the DA polisher, what are some beginner tips I need to look out for so I don't burn up my car.

How much polish, how big of an area to do at once, when do I know that section is finished, stuff like that.

Do you pick 1 panel and do that 3 process start to finish, or finish the car as a whole step by step? What are the best pads? Etc etc..

I actually answer all those questions in my first how-to book...

Paperback

You can also find most of the answers in my article list...

Articles by Mike Phillips

There's a huge section for DA Polishers, been using these and teaching others to use them since they were introduced to the detailing world back in the early 1990's.

Also, read this BEFORE using the DA Polisher...

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much Mike. I really appreciate your response and that is one sweet looking Milk Truck! I can imagine that's one hell of a task getting to all the areas on that yellow monster.

Thanks again as well for the advice and tips! I'm soaking up all these threads, it's actually pretty exciting. But I guess if anybody would understand getting excited about "cleaning cars" this is the place to be!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a pic of my car and first true full detail victim!

2012 Volkswagen GTI

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. I agree with whatever mike said. I did not read what he said but hes the guy around here that usually is right.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I've got most of my things in order to tackle this beast this weekend, hopefully. Got my first AGO order in, snagged the GG DA Polisher, thanks!

Looking forward to put the knowledge and learning I've aquired from this forum and videos to use and see that car shiiiine!

Here's my process plan:

Wheels first with Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner, get those squared away. Then I'll use my Gilmour to foam the car up once and let it dwell with Wolf's Chemicals Nano-Shampoo, foam it again and wash with my Sheep skin mitt. Then use the Nanoskin Autoscrub 6" pad to "clay" the car, heard some really amazing reviews from some buddies of mine on this thing, said they'll never use clay again! But when that's finished, do another rinse and use my quick detailer and dry the car again. Then the fun/terrifying part!

Gunna do my test spot starting off with Wolf's Chemicals WP-6H Ceramic Cut Compound with a Orange Uber pad, followed by Wolf's Chemicals WP-3N Medium Cut Polish with a Green uber pad, then finish the trio with Wolf's Chemicals WP-1N Ultra Finishing Polish with a Black Uber pad. With those steps the car should look stunning and I'll then use Wolf's Chemicals Shine and Seal following by Hard Body Super Sealant. Luckily having a hatchback it shouldn't take me 100 hours to complete, lol!

Dress all the trim, glass, headlights and hopefully have an incredibly beautiful and well protected ride!