autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Sparty's First Post: Intro. and Questions for the Experts

Hello forum members. I have been following this forum as a guest for sometime. Decided it was time to join so I could get some expert advice. There is so much to learn here. Wow!

I just took deliver of my new 2012 Kia Optima EX - T. I told the dealer not to do anything to the car, but my salesman didn't relay the info. to the prep dept. and they gave it a wash after taking off the protective tape.

The car color is Satin Metal. I am looking for some advice from the experts here. I am a hobbyist detailer - only my wife's car, my motorcycle and car are willing to be detailed by me. I have most likely used products (One Grand) that are inferior to today's products. I would like to possibly purchase a detailing package with the best basic products needed for a new car with new paint. So many brand possibilities, I am not sure where to go - Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Blackfire, Chemical Guys, P21S, etc.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Sparty

Mike Phillips

Re: Sparty's First Post: Intro. and Questions for the Experts

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post

Hello forum members. I have been following this forum as a guest for sometime. Decided it was time to join so I could get some expert advice. There is so much to learn here. Wow!
    Welcome to Autogeek Online!

I just took deliver of my new 2012 Kia Optima EX - T. I told the dealer not to do anything to the car, but my salesman didn't relay the info. to the prep dept. and they gave it a wash after taking off the protective tape.
    Sad to say but that's pretty common...

I would like to possibly purchase a detailing package with the best basic products needed for a new car with new paint. So many brand possibilities, I am not sure where to go - Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Blackfire, Chemical Guys, P21S, etc.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Sparty
    Do have any type of polisher already?

If not then a good started polisher would either be a PC style tool like the Porter Cable, Griot's Garage or Meguiar's units...

The Flex 3401 is another option and with the new 4" backing plates coming out next month the ability to use both 6.5" pads and 4" pads makes this tool very versatile and able to tackle just about anything you'll ever come up against...

Here's Sharif using it for the first time with Blackfire products on his black 2004 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thank you for the reply. I have a older model Craftsman polisher, but it is junk at this point. I am going to get the PC for myself as a x-mas gift.

I am still looking for recommendations on polishes and waxes. My wife's car is Liquid Silver Metallic and mine is Satin Metal - both silver colored. Which products would you recommend for these lighter colored cars?

Thanks again,
    Sparty

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thank you for the reply. I have a older model Craftsman polisher, but it is junk at this point. I am going to get the PC for myself as a x-mas gift.

I am still looking for recommendations on polishes and waxes. My wife's car is Liquid Silver Metallic and mine is Satin Metal - both silver colored. Which products would you recommend for these lighter colored cars?

Thanks again,
    Sparty
    It is really personal preference, there are not really any 'bad' products out there, people naturally find products that work well for them and stick with them.

If you are starting out, a really good combination that is very user friendly is the Wolfgang Twins (Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze).

There are a lot of different options, and all of them have strong advocates. Eventually you end up trying a bunch of products and figure out what you like best.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

It takes a while to save up enough to cover the initial signup fee but glad you finally made it! ....

Seriously, To Autogeek Online!!

New members are always welcome and best of all it's free!!..................Until you start buying products....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

Mike,

If the Craftsman looks anything like this,

The Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader

Then when it comes to modern clear coat paints it's now relegated to being a "Wax Spreader" as all it's really good for is spreading out a coat of wax to paint already in excellent condition. They're not very good at removing swirls or any other type of correction work.

Thanks again,
    Sparty
    Doesn't really matter what the color of the basecoat is if you're working on a clear coated car so go with products that simply have great reputations for working on clear coat finishes.

The Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Finishing Polish work great with any tool on any paint system. I use these in my detailing classes for people new to machine polishing and often times use them for our Autogeek's Car of the Week projects and always with stellar results.

Here's an example and it's on a silver metallic car with a basecoat/clearcoat finish...

1986 Buick Regal T-Type Turbo

Sheila doing the Baggie Test

Todd sharing with Rene and Bill how to use detailing clay...

Rene and Bill claying

Mike, Todd and Bill claying the paint...

Me priming a pad on the Flex 3401 with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Doing a Test Spot...

Bill tackling the rest of the trunk lid using the Porter Cable 7424XP

Getting ready to machine apply Pinnacle Signature Series II Paste Wax...

Easy project...
    This was an easy buff job because Bob the owner has taken such good care of the car ever since he purchased it new back in 1986. Bob has had a lot of fun and good times with this car over the years but he says he's ready to let someone else share the fun and his car is for sale. If you're interested I can put you in touch with him.

Autogeek's Car of the Week - 1986 Buick Regal T-Type

Medium Cut Polish
    Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover

Fine Cut Polish

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Buffing Pads
    5.5" Lake Country Flat Pads

Tools
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    Griot's Garage 6" ROP
    Meguiar's G110v2

Tools