autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello from Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle_Chef View Post
    I would think it would be, here especially. Rain and snow are the devil on the interior of our cars.

I was looking at interior gear and the pricing ranges from around $500 to $2000... it's so hard to really know what to go with on this front. I would like to keep it as portable as possible because I have a small vehicle and will be working out of it for the most part for a good while.
    I work from a hatchback. I feel your pain

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I see you don't include much in the way of interior stuff, is this something that is not really a big part of the business?
    That's a good point!

Many concentrate on the exterior but as Flash pointed out the interior is a very important part of customer satisfaction and the area they'll see the most....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

So, here is the basic plan as I see it... or at least for now haha.

Saturday: This is the day I would work on my new clients and the 1 off individual washes. People that are either going to be long term clients or just need a single/trial run of my services.

Sunday: this is the day I will dedicate to my long term clients. My plan will be to set up a service schedule, a package deal if you will to maintain a clean daily driver. Either weekly or biweekly touch up services, depending on season or viability of the service. I would imagine these will be quick run through services. If they have need of a more detailed service I would schedule a Saturday appointment.

What do you guys think of this type of option setup? Again, this is very early planning stages and just brainstorming a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

So, here is the basic plan as I see it... or at least for now haha.

Saturday: This is the day I would work on my new clients and the 1 off individual washes. People that are either going to be long term clients or just need a single/trial run of my services.

Sunday: this is the day I will dedicate to my long term clients. My plan will be to set up a service schedule, a package deal if you will to maintain a clean daily driver. Either weekly or biweekly touch up services, depending on season or viability of the service. I would imagine these will be quick run through services. If they have need of a more detailed service I would schedule a Saturday appointment.

What do you guys think of this type of option setup? Again, this is very early planning stages and just brainstorming a bit.
    Sounds like as good of plan as any

Plan to spend around 2 hours (or more) to do a proper wash/interior clean, so don't shoot your foot off with a lowball price

Do you work days during the week? Are you a Chef?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I work days, Monday- Friday. I usually get home around 3pm. And Yes, I am a chef.
    ~Chef~

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I work days. And Yes, I am a chef.
    Sweeeet!!!!

You teach me to cook I'll teach you to detail

Post Thanks / Like

Cooking is VERY easy, so I figure I am getting the better end of this deal
    ~Chef~

Post Thanks / Like

Cooking is VERY easy, so I figure I am getting the better end of this deal
    My cooking skills consist of pop tarts, pizza and canned soup

Where do you want to start with the detailing aspect?

Post Thanks / Like

Like everything, you need the right tool for the job, but that doesn't mean it has to be the best tool out there either. In my case, I use a 10" Chef's knife for most jobs. Most home cooks use an 8" knife and do very well with it. Probably not as fast or as quick as I might be able to do the job, but they get along just fine, and create amazing results.

With that in mind... do you need a hot water extractor, or can one use a combination of a shop vac, portable electric kettle and Clearer X?

If the later is true, how much time and effort are being lost due to lack of investment in the extractor? To me everything comes with a price tag, and my time is very valuable, however If I only have 2 cars [average sized cars that have not been cleaned in 3 months] to do and it might cut my time by say 30 minutes a car... well I might suck it up and save up for 6 months for the extractor or wait until I need to do 6 cars in the same day.

Same holds true for all these fancy tools, like pressure washers, foam guns, and the list goes on. Do these things really cut the time it takes to do the job down by much, and and if so... which are going to give you the best return on investment?

Am I getting across my point very well?

What would you like to learn about cooking first?
    ~Chef~

Post Thanks / Like

Like everything, you need the right tool for the job, but that doesn't mean it has to be the best tool out there either. In my case, I use a 10" Chef's knife for most jobs. Most home cooks use an 8" knife and do very well with it. Probably not as fast or as quick as I might be able to do the job, but they get along just fine, and create amazing results.

With that in mind... do you need a hot water extractor, or can one use a combination of a shop vac, portable electric kettle and Clearer X?

If the later is true, how much time and effort are being lost due to lack of investment in the extractor? To me everything comes with a price tag, and my time is very valuable, however If I only have 2 cars [average sized cars that have not been cleaned in 3 months] to do and it might cut my time by say 30 minutes a car... well I might suck it up and save up for 6 months for the extractor or wait until I need to do 6 cars in the same day.

Same holds true for all these fancy tools, like pressure washers, foam guns, and the list goes on. Do these things really cut the time it takes to do the job down by much, and and if so... which are going to give you the best return on investment?

Am I getting across my point very well?

What would you like to learn about cooking first?
    Your doing fine

You got me on the electric kettle and Clearer X. Are those some type of cooking utensils?

An extractor would be nice to have, but I feel you can achieve the same results with warm water, the right chemicals, brushes, towels, 5hp shop vac and 1 jar of elbow grease. As far as time savings goes, I don't think so

Same holds true for a steamer

A pressure washer would be nice, but definitly not needed. The only time I use mine is when I have a truck with mud caked in the fenderwells

Foam cannons are a waste of both time and money, so scratch that one off the list for sure

Instead of using water with my tomato soup, I use milk. Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? My wife thought I was crazy the first time she saw me do this. I feel it adds a thickness and is better for your body

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast