autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy from San Antonio, Texas

Good evening all,
    I just signed up for this forum, although I am a member at other forums (MOL, Autopia, Detailers World, Show Car, etc). Looking forward to seeing others works and getting help in a project I have coming up.

Later,
    Lee

Mike Phillips

Re: Howdy from San Antonio, Texas

Hi Lee,

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Okay, now we're all curios... what's your project?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike,
    How do you like the new gig at AutoGeek? The project is to fill the many dings on my 2006 Mustang with Redfire Metallic paint. We have so much gravel down here, no car goes unscathed. I plan on doing the filling, wetsanding and correction on my own (quoted $600 - $800). My only buffing tool is a PC7424 and my hands. I have done my homework on the other sites I go to, and feel confident I can do a decent job. I'll post pictures and a write-up. Any links to a guide?

Thanks,
    Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Yoder View Post
    Thanks Mike,
    How do you like the new gig at AutoGeek? The project is to fill the many dings on my 2006 Mustang with Redfire Metallic paint. We have so much gravel down here, no car goes unscathed. I plan on doing the filling, wetsanding and correction on my own (quoted $600 - $800). My only buffing tool is a PC7424 and my hands. I have done my homework on the other sites I go to, and feel confident I can do a decent job. I'll post pictures and a write-up. Any links to a guide?

Thanks,
    Lee
    to AG Lee. You will find no other detailing site as awsome as AG. Mike will be able to assist you in many ways. Always keep your eyes open on the site as well.

Now, this comment you posted "We have so much gravel down here, no car goes unscathed.", come further down to the Valley. Every vehicle down here has a cracked windshield. Highways are never cleaned. The people who just expanded 77/83 does not know how to pave the highways what so ever. Thanks State of Texas. ugh

btw - What part of SA do you live? I have family up in the hills outside the Boerne area.

Stephen
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stephen, I live in NW SA, outside of 1604 and Braun Road. I just had a crack filled on the Mustang and the next day had to have the windshield replaced on my wife's Hybrid Camry.

Later,
    Lee
    Last edited by Lee Yoder; 09-02-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Lee. I spend most of my time lurking and learning on the site. NE SA near FM 518 and I-10 over here. Trust me every car I have sitting in the drive way have been "rocked and chipped in" by the wonderful city roads.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Howdy from San Antonio, Texas

..... I lived there in SA (Blanco/Bitters) for about 9 months and never knew there were problems with rock chips or anything. Even going to our Ranch in the Boerne area, I never saw anything wrong. NOW, however, when they were doing the I-10 Expansion from 1604 to the Dominion, I could see a problem.

Stephen
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG! Originally from S.A, Airport area, but now live in Corpus. Like SRHTX said, if you want to see bad roads then just come down here. After a visit here, you'll realize how good you have it in SA. Cracked windshields and cars with clearcoat failure everywhere.

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike,
    How do you like the new gig at AutoGeek?
    It's good!

The project is to fill the many dings on my 2006 Mustang with Redfire Metallic paint.

My only buffing tool is a PC7424 and my hands. I have done my homework on the other sites I go to, and feel confident I can do a decent job. I'll post pictures and a write-up. Any links to a guide?

Thanks,
    Lee
    I like to try to keep 'how-to' information in the right forums but here's a few tips off the top of my head...

Most Important
    Allow the paint to completely dry hard before working on it. The biggest problem with sanding and then buffing touch-up paint is you can actually pull or yank the paint right out of the rock chip. So let it dry hard or it will be kind of rubbery.

Place some painters tape around the blobs of touch-up paint if you can, before sanding so you don't sand good paint. If the touch-up areas are small then this is pretty hard to do.

Another way is to use a Meguiar's Sanding Block to level the touch-up paint out, they ave completely flat side so hold it on end and try to only sand on the touch-up paint.

If you want to use your PC then get the small spot repair buffing pads and use a compound like UC.

You can also use the UC by hand and it's very effective at removing light sanding marks.

These things,

Griot's Garage 3 Inch Orange Polishing Foam Pad 3 Pack

Meguiars Unigrit Sanding Blocks

The K2000 is a good for this as it's the finest grit block you can get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast