autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: hello from Ohio

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hello from Ohio

Hello everyone.

I've never detailed or painted in any capacity any car in my whole life, and Monday I start a week of training with a paint repair tech, and then the week after that I head off to demonstrate what (hopefully) will be able to do as far as repairing scratches and paint chips. If all goes ok, Ill be an independent contractor for a touch-up company that shall remain nameless until a later date.

My background in the auto industry is in mechanical repair only. I've been a BMW tech for the past 7 years, and before that I was a service writer for an independent bmw repair shop.

So, I know a week is not even close to enough time to learn how to perform scratch repair and paint chip repair. I'm just going in head first and seeing what happens. I hope I pick up the basics in a week, enough to do basic small scratch repair, and paint chip repair at least.

I've never buffed a car, or polished, or even applied wax to a car. But here next to me is my Makita 9227c that I got this evening from craigslist. some say that I am stupid for buying the makita as my very first buffing/polishing tool, and others say that it was a good idea to just get something that can do it all and learn on this machine.

Im supplied a paint kit and basic needed supplies to perform scratch and chip repair by the company.

I get my hands dirty in this business for the first time ever on Monday... Im nervous... My first time doing any of this will be on a dealership's car...so I cant F up anything.

Talk about a steeeep learning curve.

Who knows, maybe ill have a knack for it...maybe not.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: hello from Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by zigzagg321 View Post
    Hello everyone.

I've never detailed or painted in any capacity any car in my whole life, and Monday I start a week of training with a paint repair tech, and then the week after that I head off to demonstrate what (hopefully) will be able to do as far as repairing scratches and paint chips. If all goes ok, Ill be an independent contractor for a touch-up company that shall remain nameless until a later date.

My background in the auto industry is in mechanical repair only. I've been a BMW tech for the past 7 years, and before that I was a service writer for an independent bmw repair shop.

So, I know a week is not even close to enough time to learn how to perform scratch repair and paint chip repair. I'm just going in head first and seeing what happens. I hope I pick up the basics in a week, enough to do basic small scratch repair, and paint chip repair at least.

I've never buffed a car, or polished, or even applied wax to a car. But here next to me is my Makita 9227c that I got this evening from craigslist. some say that I am stupid for buying the makita as my very first buffing/polishing tool, and others say that it was a good idea to just get something that can do it all and learn on this machine.

Im supplied a paint kit and basic needed supplies to perform scratch and chip repair by the company.

I get my hands dirty in this business for the first time ever on Monday... Im nervous... My first time doing any of this will be on a dealership's car...so I cant F up anything.

Talk about a steeeep learning curve.

Who knows, maybe ill have a knack for it...maybe not.
    hello & to the forums m8,the makita is a very impressive tool to have,so all i can say is practice on a scrap bonnet or panel first,to get used to it before you fire into a dealerships car.practice makes perfect.
    what products are you using with the makita & what waxes ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hello from Ohio

2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to the team.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel much more welcome here than over at MOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi zigzagg321, Ohio nice place. Have been there once.

Post Thanks / Like

to AG.

Practice practice practice!

My first run in with M80 with the rotary was "M80 drops keep falling on my head" - NOT "Rain drops keep falling on my head....."
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

From one Ohio member to another
    Don't touch my truck or else...http://classic.dryang.org/flash/x3.htm