autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Expatriate in Korea

Hello,

I drive a 2016 Kia K5 MX (JF), a.k.a. Optima LX (different taillight), in Gravity Blue. For the past year, I have been debating whether to have a professional fix it.
    It has light scratches all around, a few chips, and too many areas feel like a cheap, itchy sweater. Due to the cost, I am leaning towards DIY. Hence, this account.

I had been using Meguiar's exclusively for over a year. I am still interested in their Professional line, but I decided to switch to Chemical Guys and/or SmartWax.
    Currently, my need for cleanliness drives my OCD (CDO) more than my interest in detailing, so please understand if I am somewhat dim about the detailing lifestyle.

Of the three other detailing forums that I registered for, only this one activated my account immediately. Also, there is a mobile app. So I guess I'll be lurking here.
    To be fair to the other two forums, it is the weekend. I hope to learn as much as possible, and annoy as little as I can. Thanks in advance for your group patience!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expatriate in Korea

Welcome to AGO! I lived in Etawon back in the early 70's. I would look into doing the detailing yourself. It's not hard once you get the hang of it. Look into the AGO starter kits. I like the PC7424 XP kits, however, the Griot Garage DA's are more powerful from what I here and they have a lifetime warranty. Look at a combo compound/Polish combo. I know there is McKee's, Wolfgang's, Menzerna and many more.

You can learn quite a bit from Mike Phillips how to books or any of the how to videos.

As for being inexperienced in detailing we ALL started in the same boat as you did and one thing I can say is (IMO) this is the BEST detailing forum around. I don't even look at the other 3 detailing sites. The most important thing I can say is HAVE FUN DETAILING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek!

Do it yourself if you have the time and the will. It's not to hard, but can be a bit time consuming.

It sounds like the paint could use a good claying and a light polish or cleaner wax/AIO(all in one polish).

Lots of good info and people on here, search or ask away.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in S. Korea you should be able to pick up some good detailing supplies there. CarPro, Gyeon, and TAC Systems manufacture many of their products there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I lived in Etawon back in the early 70's.
    Back in the early 70's (72-73) I spent way too much time in Etawon and Myeongdong depending who I was with.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kamkaz1961 - Thank you! I'taewon looks nothing like it did even 5 year ago, so I can only imagine the difference now from the 70s.

Mantilgh - Thank you! Yes, I have guessed that is what most would suggest. I'm not looking forward to the polishing bit.

rlmccarty2000 - Unfortunately, in Korea at least, country of manufacture does not translate to availability and/or affordable. I will look into them, though.

Ancient1 - Both areas are larger and much more active these days. Thankfully, the food selection has improved, too.

I feel that I should explain my situation.

I live in an apartment complex. There are perhaps 2 people who have used the single or double bucket method once or twice. However, it is frowned upon and generally discouraged & stopped by the management.

I park underground. There are supposedly functioning outlets in numerous columns. However, to save energy, half of the overhead lights are always turned off. The lights are cheap, small, round foyer LED lights. They are placed far apart from each other.

While using a DA is not out of the question, until I may be stopped by management, it is a bit daunting due to the inefficient lighting. I would rather not wear a headlamp, but I suppose it is not out of the question.

I live in the city of Incheon. It is easily in the top 5 dirtiest, dustiest cities on the planet, so I would rather not detail outside. Additionally, there is no power outlet available outside. I would rather not purchase a converter, a battery pack, or a generator.

Thus, I have occasionally used a self-car wash about 15 minutes from my apartment because all the closer ones that I have tried are obnoxious. However, at roughly $7 per wash, I've been resorting mostly to regular cleaning with a waterless spray every 2 days or so.

Unfortunately, the importer for Meguiar's suddenly stopped importing the 3 products that I've been using almost exclusively to maintain my car for over a year. After disappointing customer service from Meguiar's Korea, I switched to Chemical Guys for 2 reasons. First, they seem to be more reliable regarding stock. Meguiar's Korea has had nothing in stock for at least a year. Second, they sell more bulk products here than Meguiar's. I'm on a rather tight budget, and I've already spent more than I should have.

That being said, I'm on this site because Chemical Guys seems to deserve the horrible reputation they have for abysmal customer support.

Though the suggestions of other product lines are all good possibilities, the issue with reliable stock in Korea is infuriating. I never know when anything will no longer be carried. This applies to everything, not only car care products. I will have to wait and see if they disappear before trying them.

So, I'm basically left with the option of spending hundreds more on a power system & supplies that I may not be able to use more than once, or doing everything by aging hand. Regardless, the lack of sufficient light is my main problem.

Sorry for the long rambling. I tend to talk too much. Thanks for the encouragement, though!