autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Newbie

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down NY Newbie

Hello
    My Name is Earl. I'm a 51 year old Retired Cancer Survivor. I recently purchased a 2005 Chevy Malibu L.S.- Midnight Blue-. I wanted to get it detailed as it looks OK but on closer inspection it has a lot of damage. I shopped around and got different prices ranging from $99- $350. I am naturally inquisitive so I decided to go online and see who were the better detailers in my area. I was unable to get the information I was looking for but I ran across a bunch of detailing information. I got the bug and sleep was athing of the past LOL. I stayed online for hours at a time just looking at different things. Well, after a lot of reading. I decide that I would try to detail my own car. I then started researching products. I made a bunch of impulse buys. I'm awaiting UPS as we speak. I would like to list what I've purchased up to this point. I plan on detailing my car sometimes before Christmas (weather permitting). If not , I'll continue to read and try to learn as much as possible before I attempt it. Well here's my list. I would like some feedback as to your opinions of the products. The Pro's and Con's etc.... I can take criticism. I know I've probably purchased some stuff that isn't up to par. I haven't used anything as of yet so all input would be greatly appreciated.
    1. Meguairs MF wash mitt
    2. 2 Interior detailing Brushes.
    3. Diamondite Glasswork Kit
    4. WolfGang Deep Gloss Total Concours Kit.
    5. 2 Sonus Der Wonder Mitts
    6. OXO Tire & Wheel Brush.
    7. Sonus MF Detailing Towel Pack (3)
    8. Sonus Der Wonder Towel Trio (2Drying, 2Buffing, & 2Polishing Towels)
    9. Meguairs Versa Angle Body Brush
    10. Crack & Crevice Detail Brush
    11. 2 Sonus Professional Applicators.
    12. Sonus SFX Ultimate Detailing Machine
    13. Sonus Klasse Complete Kit W/ Poly Charger
    14. 2 Sonus Polishing Towels.
    15. Polycharger CH2 Wax Booster
    16. 2 Grit Guards
    17. 2 Five Gallon Buckets (from Home Depot).
    O. K. that's my arsenal so far.Please give me some suggestions. There are some other things I've read about since that intrigue me. I'm on A fixed income so I've got to take it easy LOL. That's a job in itself.I just was reading about Zaino. What's the story with this. I planned on getting P21S or S100. I would just like to also know the answer to this question. Is Carnauba Wax obsolete ? I hope I haven't rambled on too long. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP !!

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG! You bought a lot of good stuff! I guess the first thing you should master is the washing/drying procedure because it's vital for you not to induce new swirls to your car. After that give it a try claying, and then polish a test spot so you can begin to know how power polishing works. CONGRATS and WELCOME!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonifax View Post
    OMG! You bought a lot of good stuff! I guess the first thing you should master is the washing/drying procedure because it's vital for you not to induce new swirls to your car. After that give it a try claying, and then polish a test spot so you can begin to know how power polishing works. CONGRATS and WELCOME!!!
    Some very good advice there. I would also really start paying attention to the Show & Shines as you can learn a ton of helpful info from the way a lot of the guys here work. Just read a bunch of them and you'll learn whose work you really admire and then PM a few of them some questions because most will be happy to reply back. You can learn a lot and save yourself some purchases you might regret later. I have never been steered wrong by buying items that guys that I admire their work use.

As far as Carnuba Wax ... Heck no it's not a thing of the past but I recommend spending some money and getting quality ones like MaxWax, Signature Series II and if you really feel frisky Souveran.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like you have everything covered with a few exceptions. I'm not sure what is wrong with your Malibu but you'll need some type of polish to remove those defects. Choose a polish line... Pinnacle XMT series, Pooroby's SSRs, Menzerna are all top polishes to use with the UDM. Other than that ... I think you're definitely going in the right direction!! Here is what your process should look like:

-Wash with Wolfgang AutoBath & MF mitt or Meg's Body Brush or Sonus Mitt
    -Clay with Wolfgang Clay and Clay Lube
    -Dry with your drying towels
    -Polish with your choice of polishes
    -Klasse AIO
    -Klasse SG w/ polycharger for maximum durability to get you through the winter.

In the spring and summer I'd swap out the Klasse AIO and SG with your Wolfgang Paint cleanser and Deep gloss paint sealant for better looks. You bought the CH2 Polycharger, now you'll need some type of spray wax to use that in... Duragloss AW, Optimum Car Wax, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, or any QD actually.

Also, you'll want a few pads to use with your new machine. I'd suggest 1-2 light cutting pads, 2-3 polishing pads, and 1-2 finishing pads... again your choice of manufacturer.

Carnauba wax is far from obsolete. It may lack durability compared to new polymer sealants, but you can't beat the looks. S100 (same as P21S but 1/2 the price at Harley shops) is an affordable wax and you won't find an easier one to use. It is optically clear so it'll enhance metal flake but not too much else. Durability is subjective but its very easy to use.

As for Zaino, it's a good sealant. However, you have so many products as it is ... I don't think that you should spend the extra $$ on Zaino... at this point in time. In order to get optimal results with Zaino you practically have to buy all of their products which gets expensive fast. OK its not all of the products but atleast 4-5 of them at $20+ a piece ....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Thanks!!

Wow!
    I'm soimpressed by the responses I got in such a short period of time. Thanks to everyone. I read all of your responses and I see nothing but great advice there. I've got to make a Detailers notebook to write down all of the good info I'm getting. Budman 3 , You gave me an almost perfect course of action. The only thing I have that's different is that I do have a Polish. It was included in the Wolfgang Kit. It's called "Wolfgang Paintwork Polish. Is that sufficient or should I try to find a different polish? Also I forgot that today I just happened to stop in the Auto Parts store and they Had Meguairs QD for $5. I purchased a bottle. I think I've got a few Q.D.'s because both kits have one included. I'll hold off on the Zaino as I went to thier site and though the products sound very nice. I see where they could get expensive too. They all recommend a decontaminator. I think that may be a little much for me to absorb right now. I do plan on Purchasing both the Pinnacle Souvern Liquid and Paste. I'll buy the liquid kit and a jar of the paste seperately. How I plan on using most of my products is buy the complete kit's and try to use the products together. I think I'll follow Budman 3' advice on my first application though. It seems like he's done his homework on the product's and knows better than me what works together.I'll put in the Paintwork Polisher and go from there. I'll definitly frequent the S & S section. Thanks everybody for your help. I can't wait to get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wolfgang Polish Enchancer (not paintwork cleanser, like I mentioned) is basically a paint cleaner like the Klasse AIO. It'll clean the paint and leave a good base for a wax or sealant but won't do anything for the light scratches, marring and swirls. This is where an abrasive polish will be needed. Other then that you should be good to go .

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I looked at the Sonus SFX UDM kit and it looks like that includes the Sonus line of abrasive polishes (SFX1-3), so I guess you are indeed ready to go. I also looked at the Sonus / Klasse kit and see that Sonus has a spray sealant which you can use the H20 polycharger in... Sorry for the confusion, I'm not too familiar with the Sonus line of products.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

BudMan 3
    Thank You very much for your help. You never have to apologize. I appreciate the fact that you actually took your time to go look and familiarize yourself with my products. I notice that most Forums usually have a brand or a few brands that most prefer. Thanks Again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! These guys have already taken care of u
    Quote Originally Posted by trhland View Post
    hes the one that asked what kind of sham poop does paul dalton use
    Quote Originally Posted by makdaddy626 View Post
    Klumzy, do you think there would be any of issues if you used "shampoop" + wax? j/k couldn't resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by makdaddy626 View Post
    Might be a perfect time to try out Klumzy's "Shampoop" on carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have a good start . What part of NY are you in ? Welcome and good luck
    Ron !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast