autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, newbie here

Hey folks.

I find myself here because I just bought a 2016 f150...in black. I have always just done regular cleaning and waxing with my vehicles (only really had two. I keep em forever). I'd wash with whatever I picked up in the auto aisle, then wax once a year or so. Wasn't too crazy about it, and my old truck still looked nice when I sold it with 350,000 miles.

But, it was white. I'm sure there was light scratching all over it, it just didn't show. It also had 200,000 miles when I bought it. Damage was already done.

Well, I don't need to explain the challenges that black presents, but this will be my first opportunity to care for a vehicle from new, and do my best to keep it looking that way.

There is already a ton of light spiderweb scratching from careless washes at the dealer that can be seen if the light hits just right. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

I want some guidance on selecting the right wash mits (Ibam using a microfiber from Walmart right now), and the right products to polish this thing up and get rid of all that, and then keep it washed and cared for and minimize the reappearance of those in the future.

I have already washed, clay barred, polished with meguiars polish by hand, and used mother's gold cleaner wax. It is certainly better, but not perfect. This was my first attempt at clay barring. Not sure if I did that well or not. I had a hard time using the detail spray and keeping the surface lubed enough, and getting it wiped before it dried. So, I set the water hose on mist and used a constant light mist of water to lube the surface. It went better after that.

These are the products I used.

I have been thinking of going through the process linked below, with the products they used. I don't want to buy a polisher. If I'm going to go that far, I'll take it to a professional. Because I'd hardly ever use that.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&s=&perpage=10

Thanks guys and gals,
    Mitchell

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hey guys, newbie here

There are a ton of products out there, and I'm sure that folks with a lot more experience than me will chime in. If you prefer stuff you can buy at your local store (Autozone, WalMart), then IMO Meguiars would be a line to stay with. From your photo, one thing I see thats missing is a clay lube. Autozone and Pep Boys sell some Griots Garage products, and they may carry Speed Shine, which would serve you well as a clay lube. I would opt for Meguiars Gold Class car wash as opposed to the one you have. I think it provides better cleaning power and lubricity.

Post Thanks / Like

The clay bar kit included the lubber spray. But I had a hard time with it. Dried too quickly, didn't feel I had enough lubrication at times, etc. That's why I just started using water and kept the whole area wet. I'm not opposed to ordering things. But if I can get the job done with locally available stuff, that's great too.

Also, I found some turtle wax car wash in the cabinet, which I have been using and want to use up. Then I'm going to go for something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mitchel, welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Congrats on the new truck.

I recommend picking up one of Mike's books and starting there as it is jam packed with information. This will be the best $20 spent on tacking care of your new black truck.
    Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both! Keep it comin'! Lol

I'm sorta proud 😋.

Post Thanks / Like

The process and products I think I want to try, all by hand, is wash with a simple wash, clay, work with Meguiars ScatchX, then Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish, then some sort of finishing wax. Or maybe Rejex.

Also, are all microfiber cloths and mits created equal? I'm almost scared, it's soooo easy to put fine scratches on this black that show in direct sunlight!

And what of wool mits vs microfiber? It seems like the microfiber mits really hold onto junk. I have lots of trees. I'm aways fighting leaves and tree sperm, and they are hard to get out of the mits and cloths! But anyway if I need to spend more on better cloths for polishing, waxing, and buffing I will. Otherwise I'll just stick with stuff from Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

I also think I want to look for a foam cannon that will work well with my baby pressure washer. It's rated at 1.7gpm and 1400psi. It isn't much, but it was free to me, and it's really perfect as a car washing aid.

Would the mtm unit for lesser pressure be good? Or is there one even better suited to low power washers?

Post Thanks / Like

You are at a crossroads. You are here with the potential to learn a ton about how to care for that black truck. In 5 years with OTC product by hand it will be swirled up and you wont be able to reverse it without a machine.

If it were me with a new ride and no machine I would decon, eraser, and put a coating on it. I would without question learn how to use optimum no rinse and be diligent with my wash technique.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use two buckets, and spend quite a bit of extra time rinsing out my mit after washing a panel before I rinse it in the bucket and dunk it back in the wash bucket. I don't have a problem ordering supplies, mits, towels, etc.

Anyway, it seems to me that it can certainly be possible to keep it up by hand. If diligence and proper technique are employed? I am finding stuff sticks into the microfiber mit, and wonder if I need to look at a wool mit.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast