autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I call my business 'Show Car Garage'?

I do not speak for Mike or Max but the term "Show Car" in a term that`s generally used in the US as a Classic or highly modified car or vehicle.Although there have been done many a newer car in the "Autogeek Show Car Garage" if you were to speak to Old School car owners they probably would not include cars newer than 20 years.It`s an unwritten term of endearment.Sorry but at car shows I walk right by newer cars and trucks unless they are highly modified with trick paint, interior, suspension, motor ect. My opinion that is shared by many.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post
    I do not speak for Mike or Max but the term "Show Car" in a term that`s generally used in the US as a Classic or highly modified car or vehicle.Although there have been done many a newer car in the "Autogeek Show Car Garage" if you were to speak to Old School car owners they probably would not include cars newer than 20 years.It`s an unwritten term of endearment.Sorry but at car shows I walk right by newer cars and trucks unless they are highly modified with trick paint, interior, suspension, motor ect. My opinion that is shared by many.
    In America:
    It seems we are often divided as to what are the determinates in the making of a Show Car.

However...
    There are American vehicle organizations, that do have certain guidelines/definitions, into which vehicles are judged to belong.
    Such as:
    -The Antique Automobile Club of America
    -The Classic Car Club of America
    -Concours D'Elegance

These are what I, and many others, refer to as: Formal Definitions.
    Vehicles must meet their parameters in order to enter their Car Shows and be eligible for awards.
    At many of these organizations Car Shows there are some 'must see vehicles'.

At Car Shows, where I, and many others, refer to as being designated as having Informal Definitions; and more often than not:
    It is up to the sponsors of these "Car Shows" to set the parameters, as to the vehicles:
    To Be Shown/so entered in their Car Show; as well as the vehicles that are to be eligible for their awards.

Many 'must see vehicles' there also.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I go to car shows all the time to look at next-years model. Even next-years economy sedan. I'm a car geek (an... autogeek?). I love cars. Everything from next years Ford Fiesta with a cool new engine the size of the one in my motorcycle yet capable of doing 100+ in a 4-door sedan, to special one-off customs and exotics. And I LOVE classic cars.

They are all 'show cars', IMHO! What MAKES them show cars, is that (usually) the manufacturers of the new cars pay or have on-staff a good detailer who (hopefully) has the car in a gorgeous, pristine condition with flawless paint, dressed tires and trim, and a dripping wet coat of glaze or wax. It may be a tottally stock sub $20,000 new sedan, but it can still be a show car.

It might not be a Muscle Car, it might not be an Exotic, it might not be a Classic, but, in my opinion, those aren't the qualifications of a showcar. The qualifications of a show car are in the condition of the car itself. If it is absolutely flawless front to back with perfect paint, not a spec of dust in sight and gorgeously dressed tires and trims (sometimes at car shows they even dress the tread on the tires), that's a show car.

Regardless, "Show Car Garage" is a catchy name and instills an anticipation when you bring your car there. It's going to be treated like a show car. Whether it's a priceless Enzo, a tricked out red pickup- or a 1995 Saturn with 250,000 miles on it.
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Mike Phillips

Automotive related, I own

• showcargarage.com - Owned since 2002showcargarage.net
    • showcargarage.tv
    • TheArtofPolishingPaint.com
    • Wetsanding.com
    • Colorsanding.com
    • Dampsanding.com

(As well as a few others)

Show Car Garage is trademarked.

It's also in my logo...

Mike Phillips

Here's the story,

One day I was watching Dream Car Garage, (TV show), as well as a bunch of car guy TV shows and I was trying to think up a good domain name for a discussion forum. I mostly detailed show cars, that is special interest vehicles, and while watching Dream Car Garage I blurted out the words,

ShowCarGarage.com

Checked to see if it was taken and to my surprise it wasn't so I bought it and .net and .TV.

I had a forum up and running under TheArtofPolishingPaint.com as that was the title of my first how-to book. The forum software I used for TheArtofPolishingPaint.com was one of the free scripts, (Invision Power Board v1.1.2) and I didn't like it so I decided to bring up ShowCarGarage.com using vBulletin and after I brought it up and moved my members from TheArtofPolishingPaint to SCG I killed off TheArtofPolishingPaint but kept the domain name.

Here's a record of TheArtofPolishingPaint.com from May 3rd, 2003 from the WayBackMachine.

And here's a record of ShowCarGarage.com from April 17th, 2003

Been doing this a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    Well unless there is a world wide trademark on the name, you can use it in Brazil - check first.

Honestly as far as using it, it's up to you. I'm guessing people in Brazil won't know the association with it, but you will. So it's your choice.
    Correct. When i chose my business name, i just had to make sure it wasn't nationally trademarked or trademarked in my state.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    i wouldn't do it, what if they google it, come here and think thats your work little misrepresenting
    That's not the OPs fault, and is in no way illegally representing himself or affiliating himself with Mike or PBMG. Theres several other Photography companies that use the same name I do, doesn't mean any of them are trying to misrepresent themselves. That's what business cards and unique web addresses are for.

OP, if you like the name and its legally available where you plan to operate, go for it! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say as long as it isn't trademarked where you are there should be no problems. I think even in the states as long as no business in the same state has it you can use it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    IMO it would be kinda cheesy, lame & bogus to get your company name off of something Mike created

FWIW Richard Lin owns Show Car Detailing

ShowCarDetailing.com Home of the Best Detail Shop in Orange County

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyTruckn View Post
    I'd say as long as it isn't trademarked where you are there should be no problems. I think even in the states as long as no business in the same state has it you can use it
    Not true in the USA. A trademark is countrywide. Try to use HOG, Harley, HD, Microsoft, Google, Twitter etc. and see what happens. Hope you have deep pockets.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and let's not forget the WWF that had to change it's name to WWE because the World Wildlife Foundation had trademarked it and forced their hand and they had to change the name to WWE.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast